Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
augy55

Sports car

Does anyone know what kind of car the little yellow roadster was that Robert Stack, as "Kyle Hadley", drove in the movie "Written on the Wind"? Also starring Rock Hudson, Lauren Bacall, and Dorothy Malone. Dorothy, as "Marilee Hadley", drove a red early 50's Kaiser-Darrin sports car in that movie.

I would like to know that one myself as well, there are some more people who might know the answer . I tried to look it up but with no luck maybe somebody will come on and help us

augy55,

I was led over to your thread by way of an inglis message in that other thing (thread). Anyway...what a great question! I watched the movie a couple of days ago and I thought the yellow sports car was one heck of a nice ride. My memory is not so great...if I remember correctly, the car's sheet metal was molded around the spare tire. Considering the unusual car body, the car may be a mix of custom and stock. Specifically, a custom body on a stock auto chassis. Cars customized for a particular movie are not unusual.

By now, you have probably noticed, I don't have an answer to your question. I am intrigued, so I will investigate.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Rusty thanks for your coming on to help its driving me nuts . I was asking on the other thread because it seems like that is where all the action is so I asked there as well as here.

augy55,

"sturner-6" on IMDB identifies the yellow sports car in "Written On The Wind" as an Allard model J2, or J2X. Less than 100 of each Allard model produced, very successful on the race track.

I am calling it a tentative identification--I have no problem finding pictures of the Allard J2 and J2X on the internet, but I have not found a picture of the "Written On The Wind" yellow sports car. I don't remember enough details of the "yellow sports car" for a mental comparison. Too much of a strain...you know.

I will keep looking.

BTW: The same guy identifies the red sports car as a "Woodill Wildfire". The "Wildfire" had a Glasspar G2 body on a Willys chassis.

Rusty

Hello jarhfive [Rusty],

Something that I just did that might help your sharp eye for cars.

I looked on the 'net for pictures of the Allard J2X also [especially the nice red one], then came back here and looked above in "Multimedia" and found the opening credits sequence for "Written on the Wind" [under "Movie Clips"], with the yellow car racing down the road. To my untrained eye, I would say the cars are one and the same.

If you have a chance to try this, do so and let us know what you think.

• Like 1

wordmaster,

Thank you for the information. I am sending this message from my work computer. My work computer runs Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 5.0 and whatever ActiveX stuff goes with IE5.0. You know what would happen if I tried to view streaming video on my work computer? Start video...hear the electronic equivalent of a death rattle...my computer would shudder and...good bye "Clone". By the way, "Clone" is the name on the computer. Top shelf equipment...eh?

So, I will have to view the car clip on my home computer. My home computer is two years old and probably obsolete, but it will "do" streaming video.

A couple of weeks ago, we were E-mailed the warning, "do not use your computer for personal reasons...your office computer is monitored for compliance...". I don't care if I get caught using my work computer for personal reasons. Why? My E-mail at work has been broken for two years...

Rusty

BTW: I heard the story about computer monitoring from a fellow employee. I don't believe her.

I looked at the TCM movie clip for "Written On The Wind". Very distinctive radiator grille. The yellow sports car in "Written On The Wind" is an Allard model J2.

Rusty

The red car in WRITTEN ON THE WIND  is a 1955 Woodill Wildfire. A Glaspar kit car.  

• Like 1