Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Your favorite Holiday Movies!

drdoolittle

nyoka1~I agree with you about "Holiday Affair" I just recently saw this movie for the first time, and I think it's just a wonderful movie.

My other favorite Holiday movies are:

The Bishop's Wife

It's A Wonderful Life

White Christmas

A Christmas Story

Christmas in Connecticut

1776 (for July 4th)

Picnic (for Labor Day)

The Apartment and When Harry Met Sally (both films come to a climax on New Year's Eve/New Year's Day)

A Christmas Carol (with Alastair Sim) and Miracle on 34th Street

Somewhere in Time (on Valentine's Day because Jane Seymour was born the next day, Feb.15th)

We watch Pieces of April and Home for the Holidays on Thanksgivings now. Groundhog Day on -- well you know... The Apartment is seen around Christmas every year. Every Hallowe'en gets something "scary". Last year was Wait Until Dark; Frankenstein (1931) was the previous year.

"Meet Me In St. Louis" is the definitive "holiday" movie. (It covers 'em all, doesn't it...well, the "important" ones.)

I don't know if I could make it through Christmas without seeing Judy Garland persuade Margaret O'Brien to..."have yourself a merry little Christmas..."

OK-where's that damn box of tissues...

The greatest Thanksgiving movie of all-time (to me) is "Planes, Trains and Automobiles". An absolute classic! Directed by John Hughes, starring Steve Martin and John Candy. I watch it every thanksgiving!

-----------------------------------------

/// Alfred Hitchcock Fans: Online \

\http://www.HitchcockFans.com///

-----------------------------------------

For Christmas - - "Miracle on 34th Street ( Maureen O' Hara ) and " Christmas In Connecticut": " It's a Wonderful Life ": Easter----"Ben- Hur" ( Wyler ), and "King of Kings" ( Hunter - Ray ): St Pats Day- - -"The Quiet Man". There are no other REAL Holidays, is there ?

It's A Wonderful Life I watch it every Christmas Eve with my family .My daughter loves it and it has become a tradition .Miracle On 34th Street (original ),and Planes Trains and Automobiles , White Christmas is a good one I love the antics of Danny Kaye and very much enjoy Rosemary Clooney in that one

The Bishop's Wife with Cary Grant, Loretta Young and David Niven. There's something unsettling about Grant graceful gentlemanly 'angel' with more than a touch of earthly desire and petty larceny lurking beneath his polished facade. I can't think of any other actor who could have played this part so well. Such an utter tragedy that he never received Oscar recognition for any one particular role.

Also very much like Christmas in Connecticut, Holiday Inn, Auntie Mame, The Miracle of Bells, Say One For Me, The Bells of St. Marys, Chistmas in July.

Get the tissue box . . . This is probably the last year for 'Miracle on 34th Street' with my 6 year old grand daughter - Please let her keep her belief for the next 4 months, and last year we enjoyed 'The Polar Express' but . . .

For me it's Oh for the days when I went trick or treating until "the street lights come on", quote Mom, the caution she had to give because the cars couldn't see me crossing the street in the dark. We didn't build bonfires, but we sure had fun, running around and eating candy all evening, with no visit to the hospital to X-Ray the stuff, even the home-made stuff, You guys under 30 have no idea what that's like, I'm sorry for you, truly. :( And of course, Judy's "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas". . . . :)

"...last year we enjoyed 'The Polar Express'..."

I attended screenings of Polar Express both last year and the previous. It's shown on the local IMAX in 3-D and it's a wonder to behold. I hope they'll revive it each year; I'll certainly attend every year that its shown.

Thanks again Jack,

Fool that I am, the Metra runs parallel with my apartment, and I promised my dolly that I would take her on a train ride before Christmas. I guess I'll talk to my neighbor and see if we can set up a group thing with her little boy. I only experienced IMAX once at Caesars Palace when I worked there, but didn't really see it, I was in the catacombs (behind the scenes where customers don't go) and saw thru a pinhole.

Thanks .- - - :x

I have three favorite Christmas movies.

(1) A CHRISTMAS STORY -- This is a no-brainer, and probably a selection that very few will disagree with. However...

(2) THE APARTMENT -- Not only one of the best films ever made, by one of the best filmmakers, but also captures the melancholy and disappointment of the season. And...

(3) CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY -- Deanna Durbin's best film, and a great performance by Gene Kelly. Too bad it never shows up on TCM.

Archived