Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
CaveGirl

Anti-Thanatopsis Question

I keep reading here daily about stars who have gone on to that great drive-in in the sky [or maybe way down below the sky] but what I'd rather read is who is still with us.

What stars of any type of entertainment style are alive and well, particularly if they are over perhaps let's say maybe eight decades old?

I think Chuck Berry and Little Richard and Fats Domino are still kicking and Betty White, Debbie Reynolds and my pal, Jerry.

Name anyone you can think of that is still around and keep my spirits up, knowing that I will not be reduced to watching Kardashian crapola for entertainment for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

Well, there's Anjanette Comer, who as it happens played Aimee Thanatogenos in the 1965 film The Loved One (which is based on the Evelyn Waugh novel by the same name.)

Appropriately, she also appeared in a made-for-TV movie entitled "Dead of Night" (no doubt a kind of remake of the Ealing movie), and something called Netherworld.  Oh, and apparently an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Hey, she could be eligible for your "Sorcery" thread.

Well, there's Anjanette Comer, who as it happens played Aimee Thanatogenos in the 1965 film The Loved One (which is based on the Evelyn Waugh novel by the same name.)

Appropriately, she also appeared in a made-for-TV movie entitled "Dead of Night" (no doubt a kind of remake of the Ealing movie), and something called Netherworld.  Oh, and apparently an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Hey, she could be eligible for your "Sorcery" thread.

I love Anjanette, Miss Wonderly. Always thought she was so pretty and different than other actresses. Wasn't she in "The Loved One"?

Oops, just so you don't think I am hallucinating. I was reading your answer and your post flipped down and I did not see when I first posted, that of course you had written that she was Aimee in "The Loved One".

Mea culpa, and thanks for the info, Miss W!

DICK VAN DYKE is still around.  So is brother JERRY who shows up now and then as Patricia Heaton's character's Dad on "The Middle" with TV wife MARSHA MASON

Carl Reiner is also still going

Don Rickles

Mel Brooks

You don't hear from a lot of them lately, but it's nice to know they're still kickin'.  And please feel free to fill in the many blanks I've probably left!  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

DICK VAN DYKE is still around.  So is brother JERRY who shows up now and then as Patricia Heaton's character's Dad on "The Middle" with TV wife MARSHA MASON

Carl Reiner is also still going

Don Rickles

Mel Brooks

You don't hear from a lot of them lately, but it's nice to know they're still kickin'.  And please feel free to fill in the many blanks I've probably left!  ;)

Sepiatone

Hey, thanks, Sepia!

Just knowing Mel Brooks is still alive gives me a reason to continue on.

• Like 1

Reiner, who turned 94 on Sunday, still does the rounds on television talk shows. He recently appeared on "Conan" on TBS, plugging his book about the making of "The Dick Van Dyke Show." He says that he and Mel Brooks get together every week and watch television together. Perhaps Brooks really is the 2,000 Year Old Man!

2000yearoldman.jpg

• Like 2

Vladimir Zeldin is now one-hundred-and-one years of age. He was wonderful in: They Met in Moscow (1941) and: Carnival in Moscow (1956). His most recent movie is: Ubezhat, dognat, vluybitsya (2015).

Kira Golovko may best be known for her role: Countess Rostova in: War and Peace (1966) but she was wonderful also in: Na dne (1952) and: Pervoklassnitsa (1948).

I read of recent that: Georgi Dyomin, Vsevolod Tyagushev and Sadykbek Dzhamanov are only surviving members of cast of: The Sword and the Dragon (1956).

Oleg Strizhenov is perhaps best known in: West as handsome and dashing: Lieutenant V. N. Govorkha in: The Forty-First (1956).

• Like 1

Wasn't there an episode of The Outer Limits or The

Alfred Hitchcock Hour about a thanatopsis club

whose members would come to a decision to

shuffle off this mortal coil at a time of their own

choosing? I don't recall all the plot details.

I came across this by accident, but Patricia

Morison, who starred in one of the Sherlock

Holmes' movies and played roles in other

studio era flicks, is still alive and just

celebrated her 101st birthday earlier this

month.

Wasn't there an episode of The Outer Limits or The

Alfred Hitchcock Hour about a thanatopsis club

whose members would come to a decision to

shuffle off this mortal coil at a time of their own

choosing? I don't recall all the plot details.

That would be "Thanatos Palace Hotel" from The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

• Like 1

That would be "Thanatos Palace Hotel" from The Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Yep, that's the one. I haven't seen it in a while. Many episodes

of both the AH half-hour and hour show used to be on YT. Not

sure if they still are. Have to check.

Olivia de Havilland and Zsa Zsa Gabor are both 99. DeHavilland will be 100 in July.

I keep reading here daily about stars who have gone on to that great drive-in in the sky [or maybe way down below the sky] but what I'd rather read is who is still with us.

What's also interesting in this( besides the very cute comic Sans submitted) is this:

Two weeks after my Mother died, I had a dream in which I ran across her in one of those "mall parking lot" type travelling carnivals.  We sat and talked and I asked her, "how ARE things up there?  Uh, ARE you up there,  or down?  Or WHAT?"  She calmly offered, "There IS no up or down.  There's just ...there. "  

Anyway, it was one of those very vivid dreams that seemed more REAL than dream, and left a HUGE impression on me.

Sorry, but can't come up with any names of old folks still with us from the "golden era", ...just maybe the idea that some of the KID stars are still around.  Like Robert Blake and Billy Gray.

Sepiatone

Sepiatone:  Very fascinating dream.

BUT:

Why would we be  happy that Robert Blake of all people is still with us?  When I think of people I'm glad are still with us, violent death scandals don't come to mind.