Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Film Directors?

DavidEnglish

One last thing, can anyone explain why the Kevin Brownlow set "Hollywood" is not yet available on DVD? I am aware of some vague reference to copyright difficulties. I hope I am not rehashing something that has already been discussed in the past. Again, any info would be greatly appreciated.>>

Ufaman,

It is still tied up in rights hell but is rumored to be about 95% through the lengthy battle.

It was set to be released in England last year but hit a snag at the last minute.

Everyone is holding their breath hoping that it will finally be released this year.

Add one more holding his breath. I'm sure you and many others know that for anyone who is knowledgeable about silent films it is a must, and anyone who wants to get a terrific introduction to silents can not go wrong with this set.

Thank you for getting back to me and if you or anyone else knows when it is being released, please let me know as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite film director is Robert Wise. There is no other director who has made so many favorite films of mine, in such diverse genres. He never needed to resort to gimmicks, he just made first-rate, solid entertainment.

Other directors that I really like are Alfred Hitchcock, Howard Hawks, John Ford, Brian DePalma, M. Night Shyamalan; Blake Edwards, others...

I don't know who may actually be the BEST film director, but these film geniuses certainly turned out some great films:

1. Alfred Hitchcock (hands down, the winner)

2. Vincente Minnelli

3. Frank Capra

4. Billy Wilder

5. Edmund Goulding

6. John Farrow

7. Joseph L. Mankiewicz

8. Henry Koster

Just finished West Side Story, I wrote a paper on it. I love the art direction and I love the way the music numbers are framed, the only problem that I had with the movie was the character development, the characters could have been better thought out, I thought that the love relationship between Tony and Maria was poorly developed, I did not care about the characters as much as I wanted to, my film teacher agreed with me that the filmmakers could have focused on the characters a little more but because it's a musical I guss they wanted to focus more on the music numbers.

the only problem that I had with the movie was the character development, the characters could have been better thought out, I thought that the love relationship between Tony and Maria was poorly developed,

Well, WSS is based on a stage play. To deviate from it too much, would make the film version of it, something else. As it is, Ernest Lehman made changes to the original stage script, to better facilitate the medium of film; and, to change the dramatic tone of the story. However, he created a screenplay that was faithful to the source material, which, apparently, was appealing enough to be purchased and made into a film in the first place. How would you have better developed the love relationship between Tony and Maria?