Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What's On Now?

deeanddaisy666

I didn't see a thread with this title, so I thought I'd start one.

I was going to start one with Richard Dix is a hunk, and let's not forget Warren William, and what is it with these guys that I like, they all died in their fifties???

But the title was too long. :)

So anywho, there are a whole host of Richard Dix movies on right now and all through the night, although I would have liked more of The Whistler. Wouldn't it be nice, okay nice for me, if TCM had just such a day devoted to Warren William movies?

So again, anyone else here think Richard Dix is a hunk?

dolores

dolores, Dix is a little too brawny for me, but I am taping today's selections so that I may view him a little more closely and get the full affect! (effect?) Except for Cimarron and The Marines Fly High I haven't seen any of his films or, shudder, didn't notice him. Now Warren William on the other hand, get the smelling salts, hubba hubba! I just thought of 6 films right off the bat where I thoroughly enjoyed the charms of that tall, dark Minnesotan!

-Susan

susanlenox, Dix was a surprise to me, I saw him in one mystery I had taped, and found him very...engaging.

No, my heart still belongs to Warren...hubba, hubba is right!...but try Dix in a suit, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Ick, I bet I'm taping Cimarron and I don't like Westerns, but what the heck.

dolores

[nobr]I like the way TCM phrases it in the Dix profile on the website today: easy-going masculinity.[/nobr]

That's it! Definitely.

A man who is manly yet gentle, a true gentleman.

William is also another under-remembered actor who I love watching, too.

Though both completely different, I like them equally.

Curious that William and Dix were both Minnesotans.

I had asked to have Dix as a Star Of The Month (still would like that, for there are more movies to be screened - 100+ after all), and TCM Programmer came back saying that the SOTM's were booked up for a way's but that he/she would try to slate Dix in for Summer Under The Stars . . . et voila!

TCM Programmer comes through again!!! B-)

If memory serves, TCM always does a Warren William day on William's b-day, but the more the merrier when it comes to Mr. Suave. I think my favourite William film is Employee's Entrance, and my least is that late-in-his career one he did with Ulmer - Strange Illusion.

You all do know about this available info on film personas here on the TCM website:

http://tcmdb.com/participant/participant.jsp?participantId=206446|154129&afiPersonalNameId=null

And note that, within the bio, one can 'Rate & Comment' on the person.

Have at it.

Someone commented on William there that he was a ham!

Them's fightin' words!

[nobr]

1441.gif[/nobr]

dolores,

I first noticed Richard Dix during a TCM broadcast of "The Ghost Ship". I noticed Mr. Dix because he frightened me. I am now comfortable watching Richard Dix on my television. In fact, I like Richard Dix.

dolores...hypothetically:

Richard Dix versus Warren William...who is standing after the ten count?

I have an answer to my question, but I am interested in your opinion.

Rusty

Curious that William and Dix were both Minnesotans.

Interesting indeed. In addition, they were born within a year of each other, and died within a year of each other! Both in their mid-fifties...what a shame.

Damn Lorne Greene.

Someone commented on William there that he was a ham!

No, I hadn't noted that feature, thanks Sam. A ham indeed. If WW is ham, then Davis is the entire pig, with her penchant for scenery chewing.

Richard Dix versus Warren William...who is standing after the ten count?

Rusty, I'd have to say Dix, since he is lower to the ground and beefier. But that's okay, I would gladly help Warren up, ministering most solicitously to any and all cuts suffered during the fisticuffs.

:)

dolores

dolores, I was going to say that Dix would probably win out, excelling in football and baseball and such, that brute! But that certainly you would help Warren up and then both of you would happily repair to the nearest lounge for a reviving cocktail.

-Susan

I have to admit that on some thread I called Warren William's acting as a bite on the "hammy", especially when playing a lawyer. But ham can be quit tasty-- John Barrymore in "Twentieth Century ". Charles Lane is in that one. WW was a great, albeit an off beat, Perry Mason. Those films were very funny.

ken, Warren William was oft called "the poor man's John Barrymore". And, enjoying both of them as I do, I don't think of Warren as the "poor man's" anybody!

-Susan

(Note to self: must check on this fixation on men with pencil-thin moustaches, Warren William, John Barrymore, David Niven, Basil Rathbone, might be a "fixation".)

And every morning I rise filled with optimism, "today, I will be the personification of Grace Kelly", one glance in the mirror, "gee, why do I look like Patsy Kelly?"

Lawrence Tierney, tough guy onscreen and off! I saw him on a talk show, maybe when "Reservoir Dogs" came out, man, was he a difficult interview!

-Susan

According to the Internet Movie Database: "Lawrence Tierney played Elaine's father in one episode. He was originally going to be a recurring character like Jerry's and George's parents. But Tierney's notorious volatility terrified the cast and crew and they did not want him back. According to the producers, Tierney took a knife from the set and hid it under his jacket. When Jerry Seinfeld asked him about it, Tierney pulled the knife and proceeded to imitate the famous shower scene and score from Psycho (1960)."

Yes! I know how you feel!

Everyone has their favorites, I suppose. I am kinda neutral about Richard Dix - I can take him or leave him.

But I am very excited about Carole Lombard Day. And was THRILLED about Gregory Peck Day, Rock Hudson Day, Lana Turner Day, and John Garfield Day.

I suppose there is something for everyone...which is good. :)

TCM Programmer comes through again!!!

You can say that again! I mentioned this in the Love Letters thread, but I remember when the wishlists for Summer Under the Stars were going around and people were asking for Joseph Cotten, specifically the movies 'Love Letters' and 'The Last Sunset'. And they were shown!

I've been loving this month so far. I watched most of the Marx Brothers and Rock Hudson days ('Pretty Maids All in a Row' was very...interesting--to say the least) and while I've never been a huge fan of hers, I loved Lana Turner's day as well, especially 'Homecoming'. She looked fantastic even in those standard army fatigues. And it bears repeating, I'm so happy there was a Joseph Cotten day. I love the movies they chose for the primetime lineup, instead of showing 'Citizen Kane' for the 100th time (I love the movie, but variety is wonderful).

I have a whole stack of blank dvd's ready for Carole Lombard day tomorrow. I haven't seen the majority of the movies being shown, so I can't wait!

In-between the first Carole Lombard movie and the second movie will be a Hal Roach Short Feature:

The Racketeer (1930)

Aug 17 06:00am

Aug 17, 7:06am EST - The Old Bull (1932) Runtime: 20 min

The girls encounter a runaway lion while stranded out in the country.

Credited cast: Thelma Todd, Zasu Pitts, Otto Fries, Bobby Burns

Directed by George Marshall

The Gay Bride (1934)

Turner Classic Movies Aug 17 07:30am

I just want to make sure everyone knows this so that they can keep this in mind when they set their timer to record these movies.

Archived