Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey-Ya, Sugarpus - -

Yeah, it seems that if one requests at the right place, at the right moment, in the right manner, that TCM-P comes through in colours! B-)

//I have a whole stack of blank dvd's ready for Carole Lombard day tomorrow.//

That's how I was on Dix Day, but was forced to be over-the-hills-and-far-away on Lombard Day, dammit.

How did you do? Get 'em all?

Interested in a trade ??? ;-)

PM me if so.

~Peace~

Watching Bela Lugosi today one should be reminded that in his heyday he was the theatrical version of the "matinee idol", rivaling John Barrymore with the number of women who flocked the galleries to swoon at him on stage. One of his amours was the lovely Estelle Winwood, long before her film stint in "The Producers" as the Hold Me, Touch Me little old lady. Women of the day raved about his dark, mysterious looks, intense eyes and halting English (little did they know he was learning to say the lines phonetically!)

-Susan

Cool, I didn't know that about Estelle Winwood and Bela, susanlenox. People forget that even old ladies were at least attractive once and are still, though very old, probably very young inside.

As to Bela, when he intones: I nevah drink........vine, he can put two puncture marks in my neck in a heartbeat. :)

dolores,

If you get a couple of minutes, go over to the greenbriarpictureshows blogspot and look in the archives for the--"Bela Lugosi At Home Part 2". The Lugosi thing includes a picture of him standing in front of his fireplace. Bela looks so natty in his "lounge around the house" robe and his shoes...shoes to die for. Even the writer notes Lugosi's fab footwear!

Rusty

Holy moley.......it's hot in here again.

Thank you, thank you, Rusty....how was it I didn't follow links to that site before? WHY would I think working took precedence over following my way to WW pictures...yikes, who is Lily Damita and what was going on between Lily and Warren, and Lily and Cagney?

But re Bela...that house, those shoes, that stare. :0

dolores

Note to self....after reincarnation, come back as Lily Damita. :) That girl didn't look like she let any grass grow under her feet!

wordmaster, don't you mean, as she supposedly pronounced it, "Fleen"?

Quick, let's get it right, her name's Lili.

Seems she was also married to Michael Curtiz for a nano-second from 1925 -1926, that must have be interesting!

Lili Damita was also the mother of Errol's son, Sean Flynn.

-Susan

Well, she certainly looked like hot stuff!!!

Good for her, a woman ahead of her time.

What an amazing site.

dolores

P.S. Hah, I just read this, yup ahead of her time indeed, you go girl:

Lili Damita was some kinda hot French pastry --- hers was a brazen and unapologetic appeal to our baser instincts. If Lili?s kind of "It" had been a little tamer, she might have clicked on our shores. As it is, she had a wildness coupled with a sometimes-impenetrable accent that made her largely unfit for domestic consumption.

P.P.S. Shoot, there isn't anything there on Pola Negri. My father thought she was the bee's knees, and I could never see it. Maybe she had 'it' too??

You are correct, of course.

It is Lili Damita.

The Greenbriar Picture Shows site is certainly informative and interesting. One could lose oneself easily, browsing and reading here and there.

Lili certainly had a lot of different 'looks' in photographs - the ones with her hair long and flowing are, shall we say, incendiary.

dolores,

Regarding Greenbriarpictureshows...I really like "The Great Gabbo" human billboard. I say, "bring back human billboards!" You say, "OSHA might have something to say about 'human billboards'?!" I say, "damn that OSHA!"

Rusty

Hi Dolores et al,

You don't really want to come back as Lili Damita, Dolores.... She ended up going mad and a real life Norma Desmond in Palm Beach. Her son, Sean, went missing in Cambodia (presumed killed by rebels there) and she lost it big time.

But, she was a delightful and entertaining lady and I learned Spanish, Portuguse and Italian as well as French from her.

She married one of the Loomis brothers (of Loomis Security/Courier fame)......

About Pola Ngri -- she didn't always photograph as well in still pictures. She was quite animated in her films and a very good actress.

I have seen very nice, even beautiful pisctures, of her, but not very many.......

Larry

A wonderful 1957 Billy Wilder classic that's often overlooked "Love in the Afternoon.' Although I'm not a big fan of Gary Cooper (I honestly think he couldn't act) - but Hepburn & Chevalier more than make up for any of Cooper's shortcomings (plus Cooper was waaaaaaay too old to cast opposite Hepburn in this film - Wilder did everthing possible with light/shading/logistics to mask his true age.

I must take a minute to post on the breathtaking beauty of today's featured performer, the actress, Rita Hayworth. Truly a beautiful woman, inside and out. I watched the end of her bio early this a.m., and I was in tears at the end. I have the collection of Merv Griffin shows with the last interview of Orson Welles, filmed just hours before his death. Merv says to Orson that he was very jealous of him, being married to his favorite movie star, Rita Hayworth. Welles' eyes grew misty and he said wistfully, "Ah, Rita". Griffin recounted that Rita did a soft shoe with him on the show. Welles said, and I am paraphrasing, "Oh yes, I remember that, she was very good, always a very good dancer." So, with apologies to Miss O' Hara, hail to another glorious redhead!

-Susan