Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
coolrob1955

Composers - Film Music

As I posted elsewhere in the Forum today:

Not all the movies are great, of course (as is always the case when choosing them by composer or any any other arbitrary criterion), but Mikl?s R?zsa's music never, ever disappoints. It enriches, it elevates, it transports, and no film R?zsa scored, be it Film Noir, fantasy, war drama, or costume epic, was ever made anything but better, through his brilliant dramatic sense, scholarship, and ravishingly beautiful mastery of melody and counterpoint. He knew that the composer's job is all about telling the story in music on a level that neither dialogue nor images can.

I've been collecting R?zsa record albums since November, 1974 (I remember both the when and why very clearly); he awakened my love for music and has remained my favorite composer -- both for the cinema and the concert hall -- ever since. I have everything that's ever been put out on disc (sadly, the original music tracks for many of the films no longer exist, and no one can afford to re-record everything -- more's the pity), but even that's not enough.

Now, if only Bob Osborne would learn to pronounce R?zsa's name correctly...

The score in Vertigo was amazing, Herrmann is the music god. Man, when I first heard the score for Vertigo , was in shocking. All the movies from the 1930's 1940's and 1950's had such good scores. 1960's had some great ones too , "Breakfast at Tiffany's" moon river, amazing.

Tnx for the link, it's an interesting site and I like today's poll -- glad to know I wasn't the only one going "****?" when Santaolalla won a 2nd consecutive Oscar. Those numbers are very eloquent! B-)

My favorite is Meredith Willson. He composed the background music for The Great Dictator, and of course he is responsible for The Music Man.

Yeah, that forms an integral part of my childhood. I think it's Dad's favorite musical, considering how frequently we watched it. Not that I minded :)

There can never really be a definitive opinion as to the greatest musical ever made... even fans of musicals will never agree on it. Many of us tend to generally prefer the great musicals of the 30's 40's and 50's, while others are more likely to be familiar with 60's musicals they watched when they were growing up.

So it's really just a matter of taste. :)

Now, if only Bob Osborne would learn to pronounce R?zsa's name correctly...

What is the correct way to pronounce it? I've assumed all along RO was going with the composer's preferred pronunciation... :(

The score in Vertigo was amazing, Herrmann is the music god.

The score to VERTIGO is the best thing about the film. Bernard Herrmann is among the greatest film composers, imo. My favorite film composer is Jerry Goldsmith, who I find to be the most versitile. My favorite Herrmann scores are NORTH BY NORTHWEST, JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS and OBSESSION.

Okay then, johnm . . . what is your TASTE regarding the best one?

I'm afraid it's not very original. My favorite is the one that sold the most tickets, THE SOUND OF MUSIC. It's flawless and never ages, imo. Just superb craftsmanship, from start to finish. THE MUSIC MAN is a very close second, though.

There were actually much better musicals made for several decades before this one came out, and unfortunately, it serves mostly as a milestone for the last big hit before musicals started becoming obsolete in day-to-day Hollywood filmmaking. And, needless to say, it very much became a success by appealing to the lowest common denominator.

malkat, nobody wants any thread to turn into another fight thread, but when you have a stalker following you everywhere, and making it impossible to engage in any sort of meaningful conversation because they just keep posting the same crap, over and over again, it kind of becomes inevitable, sad to say.

malkat, it's OK don't worry about it. Every one of us has the freedom to post whenever and wherever we like, and it's not against the forum rules. Anybody who resorts to innuendo to try to turn things into personal attacks obviously just wants to distract others from the fact he's used very dirty language to attack women on the boards.