Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was watching a Mad Men DVD special on Baby Boomers and discovered Leonard Steinhorn.  In 2006 he published The Greater Generation about how baby boomers are just as great as the Greatest Generation.  Will have to get it and read it.

Also found an article by him on what is so appealing about Sanders and Trump both.  On History News Nework,  Article 162019:  Sanders and Trump:  How political and media establishment got 2016 so wrong.

Basically both are appealing to those who lost jobs, lost income, lost property values, etc. while watching the very wealthy and corporations get wealthier.  Personally, I think Sanders does a better job of identifying the problem and proposing solutions.  But I still think his plans are too ambitious and too scary for the average voter and especially the people in Congress and state legislatures.

On the other hand, Trump just appeals to the anger with no practical solutions at all.

• Like 1

Even if the only things Bernie did was get rid of Citizens United and reinstate Glass-Steagall, his presidency would be a big success.  Those two issues should be easily understood by the electorate, but maybe I give them too much credit.  I also don't think he'd face nearly as much obstructionism in Congress as has Obama, because while Bernie has been among them for decades, Obama wasn't in the Senate long enough to establish any type of working relationships.  Again, perhaps I am overly optimistic.

Even if the only things Bernie did was get rid of Citizens United and reinstate Glass-Steagall, his presidency would be a big success.  Those two issues should be easily understood by the electorate, but maybe I give them too much credit.  I also don't think he'd face nearly as much obstructionism in Congress as has Obama, because while Bernie has been among them for decades, Obama wasn't in the Senate long enough to establish any type of working relationships.

Not sure a president can get rid of Citizens United as the Supreme Court decided it.  Agree on restoring Glass-Steagall, but Congress would have to do it.

I don't see the current Congress as doing either of above and don't see the make-up changing anytime soon.

Looking at the broken government from outside of the U.S. I suspect Clinton would have even a tougher time with a Republican Congress than Obama has had.  They seem to hate her even more and she is a woman and we all know what John Lennon called them when identifying with their persecution.

"In this heartwarming video, members of the Free Hugs Project attend the rallies of both Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders in an effort to “Make America LOVE Again!” – but receive two very different reactions that underscored the fundamental differences between the two sides.

The men approach the Trump rally in Janesville, Wisconsin as a young girl is being treated after a Trump supporter pepper-sprayed her in the face. Others are weeping. The FHP rep is met with racism (“I DON’T WANT ANY DRUGS” and “WHITE IS BETTER”) and despondency (“There is no such thing as love”). They are exclusive and disparaging – one woman yells “Are you for Trump? I’ll punch you if you aren’t!”

At the Sanders rally, on the other hand, the man is happily embraced by everyone, who share in the energy and the passion of those around there. They are inclusive and accepting, proud to be part of a larger movement dedicated to progress and the betterment of all Americans. It’s clear which movement truly symbolizes the values that our nation holds dear –"

http://occupydemocrats.com/2016/03/30/watch-man-offered-free-hugs-trump-sanders-rallies-results-speak-volumes/

:)

• Like 3