Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
lawrenlaw

richard widmark

Richard Widmark fans should all go to "Worst Oscar Snubs" and "Why Richard Widmark has not won an honorary Oscar" and vote. Probably the most underrated Superstar actor of the post WWII era.

I agree that Richard Widmark was a very good and consistent actor.

I never found him to be overly handsome but I always appreciated his skill and technique.He had a unique voice as well.

Yes, Widmark has been consistently good. He is one of the key film noir icons with his work in "Kiss of Death" and "Night and the City." He is one of the reasons "Warlock" is such a good Western. "Madigan" is a terrific movie that has never gotten its due. I think, looking back, it is one of the best movies of the Sixties because it looks at people who weren't part of the "Sixties scene" if you get my meaning.

I never knew until recently that Widmark had a big radio acting career before he got into movies. He was apparently a mainstay of "Inner Sanctum" in the mid-Forties. Usually he played bad guys. His "Shadow of Death" character is almost a dry run for Tommy Udo (Kiss of Death.) He played a more sympathetic, but still deadly, character in "The Last Story."

Richard Widmark fans should all go to "Worst Oscar Snubs" and "Why Richard Widmark has not won an honorary Oscar" and vote. Probably the most underrated Superstar actor of the post WWII era.

The Academy's Board of Governors is actually considering this matter right now. Still, the man's 92, and the better come to a decision soon.

I whole-heartedly agree he deserves it...but the word is (from his daughter, no less) he wouldn't accept. And who can blame him? All the fine work he did and no real Oscar...I'd tell the Academy to shove it. Just think of all the deadbeats who've won and didn't deserve that little golden statuette.

I agree Susan, but he should at least get the recognition. I think my favorite of his was 'The Last Wagon'. It was a little movie but he played it with real dignity and I loved the inter-play with a very young Tommy Rettig. Unless Tommy was a Grrreat actor for his age, he seemed to adore Widmark, he was always looking at him with adoration, I know it was the part he was playing, but it certainly looked real.

> I agree Susan, but he should at least get the

> recognition. I think my favorite of his was 'The

> Last Wagon'. It was a little movie but he played

> it with real dignity and I loved the inter-play with

> a very young Tommy Rettig. Unless Tommy was a

> Grrreat actor for his age, he seemed to adore

> Widmark, he was always looking at him with adoration,

> I know it was the part he was playing, but it

> certainly looked real.

Tommy Rettig played Widmark's son in "Panic in the Streets," and their scenes together are so natural and sweet, it's hard to believe they really weren't father and son. Rettig had a pretty hard time of it as an acting youngster, and maybe Widmark didn't feel above giving the kid a kind word or two.

Widmark is one of my favorites, and I'm very partial to his looks: good looking, but real looking, not impossible movie star handsome. I like also his steady, authoritative way of speaking, which could be reassuring, or threatening, depending upon the role. I hope he gets the recognition from the Academy he so richly, and rightly, deserves.