Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What are your favourite movies and television titles from the work of Edgar Allen Poe.

I love The Tell Tale Heart.

I enjoy The Raven.

There is a wonderful movie about him starring Joseph Cotton as Poe before he was famous called The Man With a cloak.

A lot of his movies have been made into horror films that are a bit too gory for my taste, but he is a wonderful writer.

• Like 1

The one film where Roger Corman Spent money--"The Masque of the Red Death" (1964).  Has one of Vincent Price's finest performances, and is one of the few horror films I know of that is beautiful to look at.  There was a good copy of it on YT a few months ago: I don't know if it's still there or not.

The one film where Roger Corman Spent money--"The Masque of the Red Death" (1964).  Has one of Vincent Price's finest performances, and is one of the few horror films I know of that is beautiful to look at.  There was a good copy of it on YT a few months ago: I don't know if it's still there or not.

Roger Corman spent a lot of money on a film?

I did not  know this.  I have seen it listed airing on another channel years ago, but I did not catch it then.  I will try to catch it if it airs again.  It may air sometime on Silver Screen Classics here in Canada.

GregoryPeckfan--"Masque of the Red Death" (1964) is So worth seeing.  I think it's definitely the best of Cormans'  E.A. Poe films, and one of the best horror films of the 60's.  Corman even took time shooting this film; that took five weeks, instead of five days (or less).

• Like 1

Most of Corman's "serious" Poe films were afforded a much better treatment than was usual for Corman's work. House of Usher, The Pit & the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia and The Haunted Palace all have nice set design and excellent cinematography. On the other hand, The Raven, Tales of Terror and especially The Terror , were made much more cheaply and quickly. That last title was made simply because they had an extra two days with the main sets, so they made it on the fly. Those first 5 titles, though, are all worth seeing.

• Like 2

The Fall of the House of Usher is one of my favorites -- the 1949 British version. So creepy (see photo). And I like the 1930s Poe films, though they were generally very loose adaptations, like The Black Cat, The Raven, etc. I grew up about a mile from Poe Cottage, in the Bronx, NYC.

tumblr_mcw3dlpEeQ1qzzkd2o1_400.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Corman films, apart from the very early non-Poe The Undead and Little Shop of Horrors. I do remember liking The Masque of the Red Death, though, and would like to see it again. I'll check YouTube at some point, as film lover 293 suggests.

• Like 2

Most of Corman's "serious" Poe films were afforded a much better treatment than was usual for Corman's work. House of Usher, The Pit & the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death, The Tomb of Ligeia and The Haunted Palace all have nice set design and excellent cinematography. On the other hand, The Raven, Tales of Terror and especially The Terror , were made much more cheaply and quickly. That last title was made simply because they had an extra two days with the main sets, so they made it on the fly. Those first 5 titles, though, are all worth seeing.

Of Corman's Poe movies, I have seen:

House of Usher

The Pit and the Pendulum

The Raven

I admit, I usually don't watch movies made by this director.

The Fall of the House of Usher is one of my favorites -- the 1949 British version. So creepy (see photo). And I like the 1930s Poe films, though they were generally very loose adaptations, like The Black Cat, The Raven, etc. I grew up about a mile from Poe Cottage, in the Bronx, NYC.

tumblr_mcw3dlpEeQ1qzzkd2o1_400.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Corman films, apart from the very early non-Poe The Undead and Little Shop of Horrors. I do remember liking The Masque of the Red Death, though, and would like to see it again. I'll check YouTube at some point, as film lover 293 suggests.

Have you ever visited it, Swithin?

I enjoy The Little Shop of Horrors that Corman did.  But as I mention to Lawrence, I usually don't watch movies by that director.

Have you ever visited it, Swithin?

I enjoy The Little Shop of Horrors that Corman did.  But as I mention to Lawrence, I usually don't watch movies by that director.

Yes -- and I passed it often as my grandmother lived near there. It was/is in Poe Park.

Btw, I believe The Undead (not Poe, but unusual Corman) is on YouTube. Maybe give it a chance -- it was partly inspired by the popularity of the book The Search for Bridey Murphy as well as the fascination with reincarnation in the 1950s. It's a crazy film about witchcraft and reincarnation.

• Like 2

What are your favourite movies and television titles from the work of Edgar Allen Poe.

I love The Tell Tale Heart.

I enjoy The Raven.

There is a wonderful movie about him starring Joseph Cotton as Poe before he was famous called The Man With a cloak.

A lot of his movies have been made into horror films that are a bit too gory for my taste, but he is a wonderful writer.

I was drawn to this thread title by a need for justice. Poe-tic Justice. ;)

If you like Poe/The Raven, you might find the following amusing:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/poe-etic

I own one of these - folks always ask where I got it from.

This movie is great fun. Great atmosphere, sets & costumes - plus cinematography by Nicolas Roeg.

Shows up on TCM from time to time.

Here's a blog post that shows just how nicely done the visuals were:

https://forgottenfilmcast.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/the-masque-of-the-red-death/

Although that post describes the film was been brutal, it's not really graphically so - any brutality is more in the situations that the characters find themselves in/place others in/consequences thereof.

• Like 1

I just talked about that film (1956's "The Undead") in the "I Just Watched..." Thread.  Give it twenty minutes, and it will take off.  A good film, with unexpected touches of humour.  The Gravediggers' versions of nursery rhymes are worth watching the film for.  Allison Hayes (of 50 Foot Woman fame) and Billy Barty help the film along and keep it funny.  The film plays like a spoof.  It IS on YouTube.

"Hickory Dickory Dourse

My guest is dead of course"

One of the Gravediggers' rhymes.

• Like 1

There's an especially crummy anthology horror film called Torture Garden (1967) about carnival barker Burgess Meredith hypnotizing some fair-goers into seeing visions of terrifying alternate realities, or something of the sort. There are four stories, and the first three are incredibly stupid but not without their charm, (though I'm willing to believe the one about movie stars is true,) the fourth story is definitely the good one. It stars Jack Palance as a Poe enthusiast who meets a like-minded fellow who boasts having Poe stories that have never even been published. How? I'd consider that a spoiler.

I got the impression that if it weren't for this story there would have been no film at all. Other stories involving such abominations as an evil cat and a possessed piano make this a likely second half of a double-feature with Hausu (1977), though.

• Like 4

There's an especially crummy anthology horror film called Torture Garden (1967) about carnival barker Burgess Meredith hypnotizing some fair-goers into seeing visions of terrifying alternate realities, or something of the sort. There are four stories, and the first three are incredibly stupid but not without their charm, (though I'm willing to believe the one about movie stars is true,) the fourth story is definitely the good one. It stars Jack Palance as a Poe enthusiast who meets a like-minded fellow who boasts having Poe stories that have never even published. How? I'd consider that a spoiler.

I got the impression that if it weren't for this story there would have been no film at all. Other stories involving such abominations as an evil cat and a possessed piano make this a likely second half of a double-feature with Hausu (1977), though.

I just got my dvd of Hausu the other day.

• Like 1

There's an especially crummy anthology horror film called Torture Garden (1967) about carnival barker Burgess Meredith hypnotizing some fair-goers into seeing visions of terrifying alternate realities, or something of the sort. There are four stories, and the first three are incredibly stupid but not without their charm, (though I'm willing to believe the one about movie stars is true,) the fourth story is definitely the good one. It stars Jack Palance as a Poe enthusiast who meets a like-minded fellow who boasts having Poe stories that have never even published. How? I'd consider that a spoiler.

A possessed piano?

That reminds me of the day I spent this Saturday  with my Mom and friends at my friends' house where they have a piano over 100 years old and my friend played piano solos on it.  Her boyfriend loves Chopin pieces but he won't let her play The Funeral March on that particular piano because he is superstitious.

She can only play it on a different piano or when he is not home.

I have this Edgar Allen Poe book that has tiny lettering in it which  I occasionally attempt to read, but it is hard on my eyes.

I wish that TCM's look at horror movies in October would take a look at author-themed nights.  Poe could be one night.  Ethel Lina White could be another etc.

• Like 2

I have this Edgar Allen Poe book that has tiny lettering in it which  I occasionally attempt to read, but it is hard on my eyes.

I wish that TCM's look at horror movies in October would take a look at author-themed nights.  Poe could be one night.  Ethel Lina White could be another etc.

G

Glad you also mentioned White, GPF!

I love, love, love EAP so much I tried to buy some absinthe recently, to have and imbibe while watching any of the Price films.

Don't know if it is the real stuff or some pale imitation. I'd like to retain some brain cells so might cut the wormwood with some creme de cacao?

I read almost all Poe tales while in high school, and still think he is the master; shoot, he invented the detective tale, did he not.

• Like 2

I was drawn to this thread title by a need for justice. Poe-tic Justice. ;)

If you like Poe/The Raven, you might find the following amusing:

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/poe-etic

I own one of these - folks always ask where I got it from.

This movie is great fun. Great atmosphere, sets & costumes - plus cinematography by Nicolas Roeg.

Shows up on TCM from time to time.

Here's a blog post that shows just how nicely done the visuals were:

https://forgottenfilmcast.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/the-masque-of-the-red-death/

Although that post describes the film was been brutal, it's not really graphically so - any brutality is more in the situations that the characters find themselves in/place others in/consequences thereof.

The Baltimore Ravens were named after Poe's "The Raven". Poe had a Baltimore connection.

• Like 2

Don't know if it is the real stuff or some pale imitation. I'd like to retain some brain cells so might cut the wormwood with some creme de cacao?

I don't think that you can legally obtain the true trippy Absinthe in the States, so your grey matter shouldn't be in too much immediate peril - on the other hand, what is available is expensive as heck, so your purse may become undernourished instead...

The Baltimore Ravens were named after Poe's "The Raven". Poe had a Baltimore connection.

Didn't know that. One does learn some interesting stuff on here.

I've read that the stories of Poe being found drunk in a gutter in Baltimore, were mostly being bandied about by a man who despised Poe and wanted to ruin his reputation, Down.

I guess that didn't work, happily.

I've read that the stories of Poe being found drunk in a gutter in Baltimore, were mostly being bandied about by a man who despised Poe and wanted to ruin his reputation, Down.

I guess that didn't work, happily.

That was his Baltimore connection? I guess the new Baltimore football team was really scrounging for a nickname. They could have called them the Baltimore Keys, after Francis Scott Key.