Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

Hibi

A script calls for a vixen who is 40 years old. One candidate is 50 who looks 40. Another candidate is 40 and looks 50. You are telling me that the latter is more likely to get the role?

I'm saying neither will be called for the role. It will be given to the 35 year old who claims to be 29. And use makeup to age her.

A big lug who is also a mug would make a vixen shrug.

Or give him  a slug from the jug on the rug next to her pug chewing on the bone he just took from the hole he just dug.  And her sweater's too snug.  Give that loose thread a tug.

Sepiatone

Hopefully, by 2022 Doris will let us celebrate her 100th birthday along with her.  Unless  she would like to wait until she's 102 years old for the celebration.  I'm sure TCM will celebrate Doris' 100th birthday in April 2022 whether she likes it or not.

life24_zpsz3to6yiv.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sorry, have never been a fan whatsoever BIG-TME!

Only & only time I kinda' like Day was opposite the dynamic JAMES CAGNEY as Marty "The Gimp" Snyder-(his 3nd & ridiculously only 3 Oscar nom)

in '55's "Love Me Or Leave Me" (MGM) (***1/2-out of four)

Based on a true story in Tinsel-Town & the house where he shot Cameron Mitchell still stands, at least for now???)

(TRIVIA:  She didn't make the cut for Best Actress that year & her legions of fans were in an uproar!

Best Actress for '55  *Anna Magnani, "Rose Tattoo"  Eleanor Parker, "Interrupted Melody" Susan Hayward, "I'll Cry Tomorrow" Katharine Hepburn, "Summertime" & Jennifer Jones, "Love is a Many Splendored Thing"

Sorry, have never been a fan whatsoever BIG-TME!

Only & only time I kinda' like Day was opposite the dynamic JAMES CAGNEY as Marty "The Gimp" Snyder-(his 3nd & ridiculously only 3 Oscar nom)

in '55's "Love Me Or Leave Me" (MGM) (***1/2-out of four)

Based on a true story in Tinsel-Town & the house where he shot Cameron Mitchell still stands, at least for now???)

(TRIVIA:  She didn't make the cut for Best Actress that year & her legions of fans were in an uproar!

Best Actress for '55  *Anna Magnani, "Rose Tattoo"  Eleanor Parker, "Interrupted Melody" Susan Hayward, "I'll Cry Tomorrow" Katharine Hepburn, "Summertime" & Jennifer Jones, "Love is a Many Splendored Thing"

I enjoy many of Day's 40s and 50s film,  e.g. Young Man with a Horn.    Day is a fine singer and I love when she sings jazz standards.

Solid actress also.   But I do feel Hollywood kind of ruined her when they cast here as the 30s something virgin.   Of course she didn't take the role of Mrs. Robinson in The Graduate so some of that may be on her and her managers.

I would have picked these four films for Doris' birthday:

On Moonlight Bay (1951)
Calamity Jane (1953)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
That Touch of Mink (1962)

Love this song!

I'll admit that I used to not be a fan of Doris Day.  I don't know why.  I think the eternal virgin roles were a bit of a turn off; however, I have come to discover that there was more to Doris than these roles and now I really like her and she's one of my favorite performers.  I own three Doris Day boxed sets in fact.  I think the film of hers that changed my opinion of her was Pillow Talk.  While her character is a bit prissy to Rock Hudson, what I liked and appreciated about Doris Day's characters is that they were strong, career type women.  She isn't afraid to speak her mind to Hudson, whom she feels uses unethical tactics to score new clients.  I loved the rapport she had with Hudson and enjoyed their trilogy of films very much.

I have also seen many of her early film roles like Young Man With a Horn and felt that she was very effective in dramatic roles as well.  She was a versatile actress who could do more than fluffy musicals and family rom-com.  Her roles in suspense films like The Man Who Knew Too Much and Midnight Lace are very entertaining to watch and you feel the same tension that she feels.  

I'll admit that I have a soft sport for With Six You Get Eggroll, despite the little boy in that movie (who looks like a little kid version of The Daily Show's Mo Rocca).  I absolutely loathe Please Don't Eat the Daisies.  Day and Niven are fine, but the adult dubbing the baby crying just kills the movie for me.

If I were to do a four movie Day tribute like what TCM is doing on Monday, I would switch the tribute to Primetime and do the following:

The Pajama Game (premiere)

Midnight Lace

Pillow Talk

Love Me or Leave Me

Doris Day cut some cool energetic swing jazz in the early part of her career.  I'm less a fan of her later better known songs, and the same for her later comedy films.  But always liked that early swing and musicals. 

All the stuff she sang in LOVE ME OR LEAVE was great. The only one of her signature songs that I really like is "It's Magic", from ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS.

It looks like we will be celebrating Doris' 100th birthday in 2022 along with her after all!  :)

Only on AP: Birthday Surprise for Doris Day: She's Really 95

To Doris Day's many admirers, the pert and fresh-faced charmer who starred in "Pillow Talk" and "Move Over Darling" is ageless, but Day turns 95 on Monday, which surprised even the star herself, who thought she hadn't yet reached the milestone birthday.

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — To Doris Day's many admirers, the pert and fresh-faced charmer who starred in "Pillow Talk" and "Move Over Darling" is ageless.

But Day turns 95 on Monday — a surprise to even the star herself, who has long pegged her age to a 1924 birthdate that would make her 93.

A copy of Day's birth certificate, obtained by The Associated Press from Ohio's Office of Vital Statistics, settles the issue: she was born in Cincinnati on April 3, 1922, making her 95.

In a statement Sunday, Day said she's never paid much attention to birthdays but added, "It's great to finally know how old I really am!"

She's celebrating her now milestone birthday the way she always does, asking support for her favorite cause, animal welfare.

It looks like we will be celebrating Doris' 100th birthday in 2022 along with her after all!  :)

Only on AP: Birthday Surprise for Doris Day: She's Really 95

To Doris Day's many admirers, the pert and fresh-faced charmer who starred in "Pillow Talk" and "Move Over Darling" is ageless, but Day turns 95 on Monday, which surprised even the star herself, who thought she hadn't yet reached the milestone birthday.

By LYNN ELBER, AP Television Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) — To Doris Day's many admirers, the pert and fresh-faced charmer who starred in "Pillow Talk" and "Move Over Darling" is ageless.

But Day turns 95 on Monday — a surprise to even the star herself, who has long pegged her age to a 1924 birthdate that would make her 93.

A copy of Day's birth certificate, obtained by The Associated Press from Ohio's Office of Vital Statistics, settles the issue: she was born in Cincinnati on April 3, 1922, making her 95.

In a statement Sunday, Day said she's never paid much attention to birthdays but added, "It's great to finally know how old I really am!"

She's celebrating her now milestone birthday the way she always does, asking support for her favorite cause, animal welfare.

So she must have begun the first grade at the age of 8, rather than the usual 6.

"I've always said that age is just a number and I have never paid much attention to birthdays, but it's great to finally know how old I really am!" Day said in a statement Sunday.

dd1922_zpsvilrgo0e.jpg

a rare photo of Doris

dd17_zpsoljk8wym.jpg

Archived