Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

Storm Center is the one with Bette as the librarian, Storm Warning is the one with Doris and Ginger as sisters and Reagan as the govt guy. Both are shown on TCM, just not very often.

I thought that was the one with Bette Davis as the librarian.

The Davis movie with Brian Keith was Storm Center.    

PS:  Well Lavender,   now you know why I gave you that complement in that other thread!  :)  

Edited by jamesjazzguitar

Ginger Rogers was Doris' idol which was why she took the role.  The only film where Doris died.  Now you know the ending of Storm Warning.

Ginger Rogers was Doris' idol which was why she took the role.  The only film where Doris died.  Now you know the ending of Storm Warning.

I don't think she had any choice in taking the role. She was under contract. But it's true Rogers was her idol and she was thrilled to be working with her.

Re the whole Doris and Kirk not getting along thing during the filming of YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN...

Well, MY guess is that might have had somethin' to do with that thought that with Kirk, a notorious Hollywood c-o-c-k-hound(I placed those dashes within the spelling of this word in order to circumvent any possible "filtering" done my our "Mr. Otto Censor" around here) during this time in his life, MIGHT have maybe come on to Doris during this flick's filming, and then MAYBE Doris wasn't interested in such a fling, and so Kirk's ego might have been a bit bruised afterward. And thus with Kirk being one who was prone to react in, lets say, a less than gracious manner when hearing the word "no" said to him, he might have placed Doris on his little "persona non grata" list.

You see, I BASE this little "theory" of mine on a little incident I once had with Mr. Douglas at LAX and when I worked as a boarding gate agent back in the late-70s.

Yep, I still remember the time the guy walked up to me at Gate-62 and said he expected his wife to be arriving on a flight which was due to arrive in about 20 minutes and asked me check the passenger list to make sure she was on the flight. When I advised him that I was sorry but I couldn't do this for two reasons, one being that airlines had a strict policy about giving out such information to others because of a lawsuit another airline had lost when this sort of information HAD been given out to another(an incident in which a wife had been given this information a few years prior and in which she went to the airport to discover her husband arriving on this inbound plane arm and arm with another woman), and the other being I didn't have immediate access TO the passenger list of an inbound flight, well, THAT was when Mr. Douglas got, lets say, "a little ugly" and did NOT handle my negative reply to him as graciously as one might THINK someone would, and ESPECIALLY after I took the time to inform the man WHY I could not comply with his request.

YEP, you guessed it! The guy then replied to me with that "classic" ol' line, "You DO know who I am, don't YOU?!", and I then replied back to the man, "OH yes, Mr. Douglas, I KNOW who you are, and I'm a big fan of yours TOO! But sorry, as I said, I can't give you the information you seek", and that's when the guy gave me one of his patented tough-guy stares and walked away grumbling.

(...still am a fan of his though, at least his acting anyway...you see, I got used to seeing AND interacting with all these pampered Hollywood types all those years at Los Angeles International Airport...OH yeah, do I EVER have stories I could tell you folks around here about all those years I worked there!)

• Like 4

Very interesting! Have you given any thought to writing your memoirs?? Confessions of...... has a nice wring to it! :D

• Like 2

Very interesting! Have you given any thought to writing your memoirs?? Confessions of...... has a nice wring to it! :D

Yeah, actually Hibi, I HAVE thought about doing just this!

(...in FACT, I've gone SO far in my contemplation of this matter that at ONE time I even thought of maybe having DGF write the abridged version for any subsequent Reader's Digest publication of it!!!) ;)

LOL

Well, since you're retired an interesting project!  (even if you don't publish it) Can always use a fake name! :D

Re the whole Doris and Kirk not getting along thing during the filming of YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN...

Well, MY guess is that might have had somethin' to do with that thought that with Kirk, a notorious Hollywood c-o-c-k-hound(I placed those dashes within the spelling of this word in order to circumvent any possible "filtering" done my our "Mr. Otto Censor" around here) during this time in his life, MIGHT have maybe come on to Doris during this flick's filming, and then MAYBE Doris wasn't interested in such a fling, and so Kirk's ego might have been a bit bruised afterward. And thus with Kirk being one who was prone to react in, lets say, a less than gracious manner when hearing the word "no" said to him, he might have placed Doris on his little "persona non grata" list.

You see, I BASE this little "theory" of mine on a little incident I once had with Mr. Douglas at LAX and when I worked as a boarding gate agent back in the late-70s.

Yep, I still remember the time the guy walked up to me at Gate-62 and said he expected his wife to be arriving on a flight which was due to arrive in about 20 minutes and asked me check the passenger list to make sure she was on the flight. When I advised him that I was sorry but I couldn't do this for two reasons, one being that airlines had a strict policy about giving out such information to others because of a lawsuit another airline had lost when this sort of information HAD been given out to another(an incident in which a wife had been given this information a few years prior and in which she went to the airport to discover her husband arriving on this inbound plane arm and arm with another woman), and the other being I didn't have immediate access TO the passenger list of an inbound flight, well, THAT was when Mr. Douglas got, lets say, "a little ugly" and did NOT handle my negative reply to him as graciously as one might THINK someone would, and ESPECIALLY after I took the time to inform the man WHY I could not comply with his request.

YEP, you guessed it! The guy then replied to me with that "classic" ol' line, "You DO know who I am, don't YOU?!", and I then replied back to the man, "OH yes, Mr. Douglas, I KNOW who you are, and I'm a big fan of yours TOO! But sorry, as I said, I can't give you the information you seek", and that's when the guy gave me one of his patented tough-guy stares and walked away grumbling.

(...still am a fan of his though, at least his acting anyway...you see, I got used to seeing AND interacting with all these pampered Hollywood types all those years at Los Angeles International Airport...OH yeah, do I EVER have stories I could tell you folks around here about all those years I worked there!)

When he had this exchange with you, was he doing his best Kirk Douglas imitation, gritting teeth and all?

When he had this exchange with you, was he doing his best Kirk Douglas imitation, gritting teeth and all?

Yup...wait, no, that's Gary Cooper. Lemme do my Kirk for ya here...

(...now taking my right index finger and pressing the tip of it against my chin as I jut my jaw out and go from up high in my vocal register to down low and back, a la Frank Gorshin...)

YEE-ah, THAT'S how he did it, alRIGHT!

;)

(...now taking my right index finger and pressing the tip of it against my chin as I jut my jaw out and go from up high in my vocal register to down low and back, a la Frank Gorshin...)

;)

I think that in DETECTIVE STORY he had the most exaggerated Kirk Douglas mannerisms.

• Like 1

;)

LOL. I love it!

I think that in DETECTIVE STORY he had the most exaggerated Kirk Douglas mannerisms.

Yeah, he DOES go "a little" over-the-top in that one especially once he finds out his wife isn't "as pure as the driven snow", doesn't he?! ;)

dd_zpsar4uhqyv.jpg

I love this photo of Doris in Young Man with a Horn because she looked a bit boyish.  Doris was also known as "The Tomboy with the Golden Voice" in the early 1950's.

• Like 1

Yeah, he DOES go "a little" over-the-top in that one especially once he finds out his wife isn't "as pure as the driven snow", doesn't he?! ;)

Incidentally, with respect to your encounter with Kirk, this reminds me that the "I'm just doing my job, sir" line has been directed at me on numerous occasions. It generally makes me see "red".. Their interpretation of what their job entails (usually security guards) involves harassing people to their heart's content.......Sorry for the rant.

Incidentally, with respect to your encounter with Kirk, this reminds me that the "I'm just doing my job, sir" line has been directed at me on numerous occasions. It generally makes me see "red".. Their interpretation of what their job entails (usually security guards) involves harassing people to their heart's content.......Sorry for the rant.

Well what makes me see 'red' is customers that treat employees harshly when they are 'just doing their job'.

This occurred the other day when going out for lunch at a place with an ocean view.   The wait was already going to be an hour and no one in the party asked for a table for 8 that had the 'full' ocean view.   Well we are seat in the diva in the group goes off,  big time, on the young women hostess.   I called out the diva saying she was WAY out of line and that the hostess was 'just doing her job' since NO ONE requested specific seating.    

• Like 1

Well what makes me see 'red' is customers that treat employees harshly when they are 'just doing their job'.

This occurred the other day when going out for lunch at a place with an ocean view.   The wait was already going to be an hour and no one in the party asked for a table for 8 that had the 'full' ocean view.   Well we are seat in the diva in the group goes off,  big time, on the young women hostess.   I called out the diva saying she was WAY out of line and that the hostess was 'just doing her job' since NO ONE requested specific seating.    

In my encounters, it is the employee who initiates the encounter, while I am minding my own business. For example, I was in a Trader Joe's last week. They play music, and I was listening to a song under the only speaker that worked. The guard came up to me and said, "You've got to keep moving". I rest my case.

In my encounters, it is the employee who initiates the encounter, while I am minding my own business. For example, I was in a Trader Joe's last week. They play music, and I was listening to a song under the only speaker that worked. The guard came up to me and said, "You've got to keep moving". I rest my case.

Are you a sketchy lookin' fella? Are ya up to no good? While listening, were you singing aloud along with the music, or maybe doing a little dance?

• Like 1

You guys can bash Kirk ( in a good natured way ) but are you aware that many years ago he and his wife set up the Kirk Douglas Foundation that has given away millions to needy organizations, they are responsible for having 100's of playgrounds built in slum areas. they have given away countless millions of dollars of their OWN money. They donate worldwide. They are generous humanitarians.

Dargo, I think when Kirk said so you know who I am he probably meant, I'm not some nut asking you, you know who I am. Isn't that possible?

• Like 3

You sound like a suspicious character (LOL)

Are you a sketchy lookin' fella? Are ya up to no good? While listening, were you singing aloud along with the music, or maybe doing a little dance?

Do you need to ask??? (LMREO)

• Like 1

Re: Kirk Douglas.

I am a major fan of this actor.  Both for his on screen roles and his humanitarian efforts.  I could not care less about his real-life sex life  in terms of how I see him on screen. He is the one who put Dalton Trumbo's real name on the credits of Spartacus.  Yes, this did not end the blacklist right away and other blacklisters had a terrible time getting work.  But Kirk started the end of the blacklist.

I am looking forward to seeing Trumbo.  I am not sure when I will get to see it, but it is high on my to-see list.

Of course, Kirk felt guilty about surviving that airplane crash with a broken back while the two young people in the other plane died.

Kirk is one of the few actors who are old where I am able to watch anything he is in and not be sad about his age.

When Gregory Peck was in his final years I was unable to watch anything of his that was even remotely sentimental.  I watched NO comedies.  I watched war films and westerns where people died because they were killed.  No one died of old age.