Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hibi

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DORIS DAY!

A belated Happy Birthday to Doris Day. I watched LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME 1955 which I consider one of her best performances along with THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH 1956, and THE PAJAMA GAME 1957.A lovely photo of Doris also.

I've been wanting to see [MIDNIGHT LACE].  I figure that TCM sells it in their shop as a TCM Vault film (or whatever they call it), it seems like they *should* have it available to be aired.  Hopefully soon...

It's a laugh riot from start to finish, albeit of the unintentional variety.

Doris was a good actress, but hot on the heels of her first (and only) Best Actress nomination for PILLOW TALK in 1959, her husband tried to orchestrate a second nomination in a row for her by putting her in this SUDDEN FEAR! facsimile (directed by the same guy,) which consists of scene after scene after scene of Doris, coutured and coiffed to the Nth degree, suffering and emoting and exhibiting raw, deliberate PANIC! at the hands of a madman. 

It is deliciously bad.

I think the film was a hit with audiences (but not critics) and an aggressive Oscar campaign for Dodo was launched by the producers, but she did not get nominated, and I want to say she only did comedies thereafter until her screen retirement eight years later.

midnight-lace-doris-day-1960-evening-eve

Doris wears this gown in MIDNIGHT LACE and- according to the imdb trivia section for the film- also wore it to the 1960 Academy Awards when she was nominated for PILLOW TALK.

I am not 100% feeling it on the hair, and those wall sconces are a crime, but this dress is killer.

Hope she kept it.

EDIT: HERE SHE IS AT THE OSCARS IN THE ENSEMBLE, RIGHT DOWN TO THE BRACELET AND GLOVES;

Doris-Day-1.jpg

• Like 1

I've been wanting to see this movie.  I figure that TCM sells it in their shop as a TCM Vault film (or whatever they call it), it seems like they *should* have it available to be aired.  Hopefully soon...

TCM does show it occasionally, but in cycles. You wont see it for long periods...

Doris was a good actress, but hot on the heels of her first (and only) Best Actress nomination for PILLOW TALK in 1959, her husband tried to orchestrate a second nomination in a row for her by putting her in this SUDDEN FEAR! facsimile (directed by the same guy,) which consists of scene after scene after scene of Doris, coutured and coiffed to the Nth degree, suffering and emoting and exhibiting raw, deliberate PANIC! at the hands of a madman. 

It is deliciously bad.

I think the film was a hit with audiences (but not critics) and an aggressive Oscar campaign for Dodo was launched by the producers, but she did not get nominated, and I want to say she only did comedies thereafter until her screen retirement eight years later.

Well, its Ross Hunter produced schlock, so Doris is dressed to the nines a la Lana Turner in posh locations. I admit when I was young and saw it for the first time it was scary, but now its more in the entertainingly bad category. Doris did have a breakdown of sorts making the film as they had to shut down production for awhile because it brought back bad memories of her 1st husband and her crazy agent who was obsessed with her in her early days..........

Yes, the film was a big hit, but I had no idea there was an Oscar campaign for it. The plot is full of holes and implausibilities and one can easily guess who the villain is...

The film is similar to Portrait in Black produced around the same time by Hunter with Lana.....

maybe TCM will show The Ballad of Josie  and Caprice (1967). The only two Doris Day films I have not seen.

It is deliciously bad.

The only "heavy" films she ever did were STORM WARNING, JULIE, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, MIDNIGHT LACE, and YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, correct?

I think that's about it.  It's weird Doris had to deal with nutty husbands in three films.

maybe TCM will show The Ballad of Josie  and Caprice (1967). The only two Doris Day films I have not seen.

Caprice is one of two films Doris has gone record as disliking. She hated making it (one of those films she was forced into by her husband). She even refused to do any publicity to promote it (it sank). The other is Starlift from the early 50s. Since Caprice is a Fox film, it hasnt popped up on TCM yet..... Caprice has the honor of being the last film shot in Cinemascope!

I think that's about it.  It's weird Doris had to deal with nutty husbands in three films.

And odd how she attracted crazy men in real life. Her first husband was crazy as was her agent. Real nutcases.

The only "heavy" films she ever did were STORM WARNING, JULIE, LOVE ME OR LEAVE ME, MIDNIGHT LACE, and YOUNG MAN WITH A HORN, correct?

Those and THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH seem to be the only ones.

Came across the trailer for STORM WARNING (1951), it's worth checking out:

(may be a 15 second ad first)

• Like 1

LOL. It's funny. Warner wanted Joan Crawford to play Ginger's role. Joan had the good sense to turn it down (she was about to leave the studio) Who'd believe Doris and I could be sisters or something to that effect.........

• Like 1

LOL. It's funny. Warner wanted Joan Crawford to play Ginger's role. Joan had the good sense to turn it down (she was about to leave the studio) Who'd believe Doris and I could be sisters or something to that effect.........

Crawford didn't have a problem with Ann Blyth as her daughter. They couldn't have looked more different.

Crawford didn't have a problem with Ann Blyth as her daughter. They couldn't have looked more different.

Well, Doris wouldn't have been her daughter. I don't think they looked that different (Blyth and Crawford) at least their hair color was similar.

Well, Doris wouldn't have been her daughter. I don't think they looked that different (Blyth and Crawford) at least their hair color was similar.

Crawford had a long face. Blyth had a round face.

Crawford had a long face. Blyth had a round face.

So a long faced mother has to have a long faced child???

Blyth could have taken after her father.

Or her uncle, aunt, grandfather, grandmother (LOL).......

So a long faced mother has to have a long faced child???

This reminds me of how Mary Tyler Moore lost out on playing the daughter of Danny Thomas.  She lost the role because their noses were too dissimilar.

Remember too, DGF, that since there are two biological parent, the child could look like one over the other  or even half way between.

Then it was the milkman!   :o

LOL. Why is the milkman always blamed? I wonder if much hanky panky went on in those days. They DID have deliveries to make!