Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hud

ralph meeker

> I like him, but I've only seen "Kiss Me Deadly" and

> "Paths of Glory"...suggest another one for me?

"The Naked Spur" staring Jimmy Stewart. Ralph Meeker is a discharged dishonorable ) U.S. Army ma, I don't remember the rank. Not a nice man, in that Anthony Mann directed Western .

Check out Meeker in BIG HOUSE USA, a noir film from 1955 which is ALMOST as brutal as Kiss Me Deadly. He plays a psychopath called "The Ice Man." It plays on TCM once in a blue moon. Bug 'em to play it; if you like hot noir, you'll really go for it.

He has a small part in "The Anderson Tapes," a Seventies heist movie that stars Sean Connery. He is the NYPD captain who smashes the heist. Interesting to see him on the right side of the law.

I like Meeker, and BIG HOUSE U.S.A. has a GREAT cast, but the film itself isn't very good at all, in my opinion. A good (and unjustly forgotten) Ralph Meeker movie is SHADOW IN THE SKY, where he plays a veteran who loses it every time it rains. It's a B favorite of mine.

Ralph Meeker is very nasty in Jeopardy on TCM at this minute,starring Barbara Stanwyck.

Meeker is awesome in Kiss Me Deadly.... he's equally good in the Outer Limits episode "Tourist Attraction," which features prehistoric giant froglike creatures. :D

When I first saw KISS ME DEADLY I was somewhat repulsed by Meeker's "Mike Hammer"---but I watched it again a little while ago and this time I didn't take him so seriously. He's pretty doggy but he's funny. However, this is a gritty film---almost too much so for my tastes and it surprises me every time (considering when it was made).

Meeker was pretty smarmy in THE DETECTIVE with Frank Sinatra---he plays a crooked cop on the take. However, for a more "warm and fuzzy" Ralph, see the famous first episode of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents", called "Revenge" and co-starring Vera Miles. (Of course, you must remember this is Hitch so how warm and fuzzy can it be?)

Miss G

help me meeker fans: reading these posts reminded me of b/w noir from the 50s that I'm sure he starred in but IMDb doesn't list. He played a loner that came to the aid of a young blond rape victim... let her stay in his apartment?... the scene I remember is her sitting on the bathroom floor cutting up her (torn) slip into tiny pieces and flushing them down the toilet. Does anyone recall the title?

> help me meeker fans: reading these posts reminded me

> of b/w noir from the 50s that I'm sure he starred in

> but IMDb doesn't list. He played a loner that came to

> the aid of a young blond rape victim... let her stay

> in his apartment?... the scene I remember is her

> sitting on the bathroom floor cutting up her (torn)

> slip into tiny pieces and flushing them down the

> toilet. Does anyone recall the title?

It is called " Something Wild ", Carroll Baker was the co - star. Jean Stapleton and Doris Roberts also.

thank you ken123. 1961...Guess I didn't scroll far enough. Not on video or dvd. What a shame. I saw it as a kid and as IMDb poster described, it was disturbing. Wonder how it holds up.

I saw "Something Wild' for the first time the other night, on starz. It was pretty good. A little disturbing. But I like disturbing. I think at the end you are wondering who was worse to her. Her mother or the man that saved her life on the bridge.