Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the un-hi-jackable thread

sandykaypax

Hey, everyone, this thread is here for us to talk about WHATEVER WE WANT TO TALK ABOUT ! There is no way to go off-topic! There is no topic, except whatever we are chatting about at the time. Post photos, talk about Garbo, or your love for Project Runway, or what you are having for dinner tonight, you get the idea.

If you want to go off-topic on other threads, that's none of my beeswax. The important thing is that THIS thread cannot be hi-jacked! It's just not possible, folks! We can post and chat about anything, any time!

So, I made a BIG pot of chili today that hubby and I will be eating for the next couple of days. Here is the connection to classic films--it supposedly is the recipe for Chasen's chili, from the famous Chasen's Restaurant in Hollywood where lots of stars and people in the movie industry liked to eat. Elizabeth Taylor loved Chasen's chili so much that she had it sent to the set when she was working. It is delicious! I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

Sandy K

Message was edited by:

sandykaypax

Hey Sandy I have a thread as well called Who Are We All it is the same thing just to talk about whatever so please feel free to drop in there too . There are some good stories about some of us and how we got our names that we use ..I would like to say that it is great that we can do this without feeling that we are hijacking somebody's thread .Your supper sounds good

HOORAY!!!!!!!! (Susan jumping around doing Snoopy's

"Happy" dance) Thanks for this thread! And even better, let's make it spellcheck and grammarian free!

Sandy K, I would love that Chili recipe! And I will gladly share my recipe for Katharine Hepburn's brownies!

Now, Make it work and Carry on!

-Susan

TMS, the great Kate loved her chocolate, I think she ate a piece of chocolate a day. It's in my recipe box, I will dig it out for you. Now you know, in the heat of the post my arthritic fingers tend to tippity tap all sorts of misspellings and the grammar, uh, forget it. Not to make it a bad habit, but if we should slip, so be it! -Susan

Here it is:

Katharine Hepburn's brownies

1 stick butter

2 squares unsweetened chocolate

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

1. Melt together butter unsweetened chocolate and take the saucepan off the heat.

2. Stir in sugar, eggs and vanilla, and beat the mixture well.

3. Stir in flour and salt. You may also add walnuts at this point.

4. Bake the brownies in a buttered and floured 8-inch-square pan at 325 degrees F. for about 40 minutes.

I found it in a newspaper article about a book by Liz Smith, the title of which escapes me. Supposedly Hepburn would not give it out to anyone. Now, it is posted everywhere, and finally, even here!

Enjoy!

-Susan

Here is the chili recipe. I put my notes marked by an *

Chasen's Famous Chili

1/2 lb. dried pinto beans (*half of a 16 oz. bag)

2 (14 1/2 oz.) cans tomatoes ( *I use the diced ones)

1 lb. green bell peppers, seeded and chopped (*2 medium sized peppers)

1 1/2 lbs. onions (*2 medium sized white or yellow onion)

1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil (*I use olive oil)

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1/2 cup finely chopped parsley (*I use flat-leaf, not curly--you could probably use dried parsley flakes, but then I would use only 1/4 cup)

1/2 cup butter (1 stick) (*I use salted)

2 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef

1 lb. ground pork

1/3 cup chili powder (add 2 tablespoons more if you like it hotter)

2 teaspoons salt or to taste

1 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Rinse beans, put in a bowl and add water so that it extends 2 inches above beans. Allow to soak overnight (or at least 8 hours).

Transfer beans AND water to a large stock pot. Simmer, covered, in the same water until tender, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours. *Be sure to stir the beans a few times or they will stick to the bottom of the pot and burn.

Add tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes. Heat oil in large skillet or large saucepan and saute green peppers slowly 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until tender, stirring frequently. Add garlic and parsley. In a second large skillet, melt butter and saute beef and pork 15 minutes. (*Break up meat as you saute it, I also season the meat here with some salt and pepper.)

Add meat to onion mixture, stir in chili powder and cook 10 minutes. (* I always drain the fat off the meat before adding it to onions and peppers.) Add meat mixture to beans and tomatoes in large pot. Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.

Remove cover and cook 30 minutes longer. Skim fat off top. (* I stir the chili occasionally during the simmering phase, or it may stick to the bottom of the pot and burn. I also add a little water or another can of tomatoes right before the simmer phase because it is thick. I usually don't need to skim the fat off the top because I have drained the meat.)

Note: This chili freezes very well.

makes about 8-10 servings.

*my hubby likes to eat his with oyster crackers. I put grated cheddar or monterey jack cheese on mine and eat it with Fritos scoops corn chips!

Sandy K

We ate at the Hollywood Brown Derby that is at Disney MGM studios on our recent vacation, but we didn't get the Cobb Salad. I did have one of the other specialties, though, the Grapefruit cake and it was delicious! We love to eat there--it really feels like a trip back through time to old Hollywood, except for all the people in shorts and t-shirts!

The only thing that I wish they would do, is to label all the caricatures on the walls. It's fun trying to recognize people, but there were several that I couldn't figure out.

Sandy K

I lived in Newport Beach in the early 80's, I used to go up to Hollywood and Beverly Hills, etc. all the time and the famous Brown Derby building was still standing, ready for the wrecking ball. Chasen's was gone and Perino's (Joan Crawford's fave place, according to "Mommie Dearest") was in its last days. I used to eat brunch at The Cheesecake Factory in Beverly Hills before they went national and now my local version has a 3 hour wait to get in! It was fun albeit more than a bit sad to try to find all of the places that I had read about in and around Hollywood. Maybe I'll start a thread about my reminiscences a la Larry, but I'm afraid I've forgotten more than I remember!

-Susan

I love the idea of a non-topic thread.

What a great idea.

So, here's a random musing...In the Jack Lemmon film "Save The Tiger," a pivotal part of the action takes place in the Mayan Theatre in Los Angeles, which at that time (circa 1973) looks like it was a majestic movie palace that had deteriorated into a blue movie house. It looks there's a Mayan Theatre in that area that's now been transformed into a nightclub/dance venue.

Anyone have memories of the Mayan in it's glory days?

I'd be really curious to hear what it was like.

Thanks for sharing!

TMS, I am a Philly food purist, so I like my cheesesteaks "wit" (that's with fried onions, in the vernacular) no ketchup and heavens, no mayo! And I like my hoagies with oil, salt, pepper and oregano, please. As for a cheesesteak hoagie, which is a marriage of the two, I never cared for it, although for some it's perfection. Now, anyone want to talk about SCRAPPLE?

-Susan

> "My husband LOVES brownies"

>

> Well said, Sandy.

>

> Hey, I love them, too. Let's hope they lhave a good

> season.

>

> Bash dem Bengals! X-(

>

> CharlieT

LOL! Charlie!

Yeah, bash those Bengals!

with apologies to Cincinnati fans, home of Doris Day!

Sandy K

Also, Rocky, Pride of the Marines and The Young Philadelphians, the upcoming Invincible and recently released 10th & Wolf (which was filmed in Pittsburgh!). Scrapple is a Pennsylvania Dutch (read Old World German) product, consisting of pork "scraps" (not, as rumored, snouts and other piggy parts) and cornmeal formed in a pattie and fried, usually eaten as a breakfast meat. It really is very good! In fact, since we were mentioned the late Mike Douglas (may he RIP), when his show came from Philly, all of the stars used to come on and some co-hosted for the week - Robert Taylor was once a co-host and he said he loved scrapple! It is strictly a local delicacy and when I lived in Cali, my Mom used to ship it to me!

-Susan