Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the un-hi-jackable thread

Too bad, I thought scrapple really was the scrapings off the floor of the slaughterhouse. As I pictured SPAM.

No matter, I love both, and ate them as a kid. Along with fried baloney. And pigs ears.

Anyone see jarred pickled pigs ears anymore? I sure don't. I see them smoked in the pet store, but I don't want to fight my dog for a pig ear. Note: they are not supposed to even be good for dogs, they have some bacteria or other. Speaking of unhijackable, who here loves dogs?

Anywho, interesting on Scrapple. How about snails? And the crackling skin on ham, which is almost unchewable (not a word, I know). Gizzards? Chicken feet? I will try any foodstuff at least once.

:)

Great thread.

dolores, that is the rumor about scrapple's ingredients, not true, REALLY! My Dad loved pickled pig's feet and pig's knuckles with sauerkraut! And, wait a minute, a soup known as "pepper pot" made with tripe! I don't know, I guess it's an acquired taste and snails, um, no - not for me, but SO Loves them with a capital "L"! My Dad also loved Spam, one day I asked him about it, he said, "Kid, when you're starving you'll eat anything." A reference back to his days serving in WWII, Spam was part of the ration packet. As for me, I am mad about soft-shelled crabs! and oysters with a squirt of lemon and a dash of hot sauce, yessirree!

-Susan

And for a Hollywood reference, did you know that Norman Fell, Jack Klugman, Joey Bishop (my Dad went to school with his brother) and Eddie Fisher all came from Philly?

The smell of sauerkraut!! to me it stinks! My dad loves the stuff! Stinks up the whole house!

Haven't tried the soft shelled crabs yet..but it sounds tasty!

SPAM...AKA...Skunk, Possum and Mouse! That's what we call it anyway! :)

Oh, no matter, susanlenox, I will eat it anyway. If what's his name can eat 57 hot dogs and still survive (and we all know what is in hot dogs) I feel safe in eating Scrapple and SPAM.

Yes, I can still find pig's feet, pickled, and pig's knuckles, smoked (delish with fresh made sauerkraut from a German store), but it's pig's ears I can't find.

I loved crunching on the cartilage that goes down the middle of the ears. I miss that.

Weird, yes, I am.

dolores

> Too bad, I thought scrapple really was the scrapings

> off the floor of the slaughterhouse. As I pictured

> SPAM.

>

> No matter, I love both, and ate them as a kid. Along

> with fried baloney. And pigs ears.

>

> Anyone see jarred pickled pigs ears anymore? I sure

> don't. I see them smoked in the pet store, but I

> don't want to fight my dog for a pig ear. Note: they

> are not supposed to even be good for dogs, they have

> some bacteria or other. Speaking of unhijackable, who

> here loves dogs?

>

> Anywho, interesting on Scrapple. How about snails?

> And the crackling skin on ham, which is almost

> unchewable (not a word, I know). Gizzards? Chicken

> feet? I will try any foodstuff at least once.

>

> :)

>

> Great thread.

I love Spam too, a lot of people think I'm crazy. I love it all by itself. I've eaten it for a snack at work before and my coworkers couldn't believe it. One of them commented if she did eat it, it would at least be as a sandwich. Ok, are you guys ready to call the men in the white coats yet?......................lol

Brad

Sandy if you check in today ,go to general discussions and look on ( voice dubbing) . I had got a response from vallo13 on a question I asked and I thought of you as you really like this musical too,that you might want to read what vallo left if you had not already read this on the movie. Enjoy Carol

Thanks, Carol! I went to that link and read of the SINGIN' IN THE RAIN trivia. I actually did know that Betty Noyes dubbed Reynolds in the Would You number, but I didn't know some of the other fun trivia. I thought it was pretty cool that Jean Hagen is wearing one of Norma Shearer's Marie Antoinette wigs in The Dancing Cavalier sequence!

Sandy K

My dad's family owned and operated a bakery In Scotland years ago,in the town of Brechin. My dad worked in the bakery with my Grandfather and his older brother.My Dad still today makes homemade pies and cakes and these meat pies called Bridies. They are so good . At Christmas time he makes this dish called a cloutie dumpling and home made custard sauce My Dad turned 80 in April and I am thankful he is still here to bake for my family

Okay that is ABSOLUTELY IT!

I'm gonna go grill a steak for dinner before it gets too late.

Thanks for the nice story by the way.

It's been good talking to you Inglis! (On this thread & the other one).

See you around the boards.

Hello Everyone,

Sandy, thanks once again for starting this thread. And with my rant and vent one over on "Hot Topics", maybe everybody can get their frustrations out on just these couple of threads and leave the others to the topic and subject discussed.

I have heard from and corresponded with several people over the last few days and some are leaving and/or just laying low for a few days because the board has deteriorated to a war zone.

May I suggest that everybody take a deep breath, stop to think before you write and then perhaps just ignore the boors, curs and ignoramuses here. If you don't answer, they (hopefully) will go away....

There are many good threads on here from the past also. Let's revive some of those - eg - 'Favourite Books' and 'Ask Mongo' (go look for them) and the favourite of mine 'happy birthday' which Mongo puts out every day.

Larry

> C:Documents and

> SettingsosinstallDesktoppowelldrawing.jpg

Sorry that address can only be viewed there on your own machine.

Picture has to be hosted or placed on the internet somehow.

Thanks for thinking of us though.

; )

Larry:

I saw a reference to the Ask Mongo thread earlier and found it, it took me 3-1/2 hours to read only half of it but it was well worth the time. I have brought it up to the top of the topic, and I hope it stays for a while. I've seen so many of the movies that have played this month that I enjoyed reading and contributing my little bits to all of the threads, but starting last weekend after a week of aggravation trying to fix my computer I looked forward to some fun days this week and lo and behold, Nobody has been on because of what you mentioned. It's like a kindergarten class where one child spoils it all for everyone else. So, I guess for the next few days I'll just go back in time and read the od threads. At least now I've learned why sometimes when I throw a thread out there, very few replies come in, now I know they've already been set forth. I'm happy I got some cute stories on my Crazy events thread though.

Anne,

There have been some very interesting and intelligent people on this message board over the years. When I first came on here over a year ago, I went back and read many, many past writing and learned so much. And, fun too!!

There are still some very good people on here, in fact most of them, including yourself, and we shouldn't lose them. I have received and sent out several PM's and E-Mails to at least a dozen people on here to dig in and stay. Most have complied but some are taking a breather.

Don't leave us; stay and do some backtracking.

Just to toot my own horn: I have two old threads in General Discussions (My Reminiscences and What I did on My Vacation). They were fairly popular back in the day.

Have a great weekend!

Larry

> My dad's family owned and operated a bakery In

> Scotland years ago,in the town of Brechin. My dad

> worked in the bakery with my Grandfather and his

> older brother.My Dad still today makes homemade pies

> and cakes and these meat pies called Bridies. They

> are so good . At Christmas time he makes this dish

> called a cloutie dumpling and home made custard sauce

> My Dad turned 80 in April and I am thankful he is

> still here to bake for my family

Carol, what a wonderful story about your dad! My husband is of Scottish descent and he is really proud of it. His mother's family immigrated to America back in the early 1700's. They settled in the Catskills region of New York because it reminded them of the Highlands of Scotland. The family has a trust that owns the old homestead, although it is just a pile of stones from the foundation of the old house.

Of course, my mother's maiden name is Kennedy so I am a fighting Irish! LOL! Ken, where are you? I need some Irish solidarity! :D

Sandy K

Hey Sandy .Thank you , so we are united by some Scottish ties . Oh yes the Scots are a proud bunch . My Dad never lets me foget where he came from,but it is all good . Has your husband been to Scotland?What about you ,what is your background. hope I am not being to nosy. Inglis

At Christmas time he makes this dish

> called a cloutie dumpling and home made custard sauce

What's a cloutie dumpling? Is it eaten with the custard sauce? I'm all for any dish that has custard as a part of it!

At Christmastime, at Christmastime,

Kris Kringle is on hand.

And were you good, Kris Kringle

Would comply with your demand.

But were you bad, Kris Kringle

Down your chimney would not climb,

And you'd be standing empty-handed,

Which would be a crime.

It's plain to see the thing to be is -

Good... at Christmastime.

CharlieT (from "Song of Norway.")

Hi Judith it is a desert and it is made with raisins and currents cinnamon ginger If you punch in Scottish recipes you will see how it is made .I myself have never done on (I am not that brave) but is is tasty and the custard goes on top aftre mmmmmm.good .

Hi Carol!

No, my husband has never been to Scotland, although we would love to go there! We plan on visiting the British Isles someday. I've always been a bit of an Anglophile.

My family is Irish and German on my mother's side and Serbian on my dad's side. All people who enjoy their alcoholic beverages, lol! The Serbs have a liquor called Slivovitz which is very powerful, I used to avoid my adult relatives when they drank that at holidays and picnic and such, you can get pretty wasted.

My mother's Irish descendents came to America during the Irish potato famine in the 1850's or so. They settled in Pennsylvania, as well as the German side of my family. Many of them were coal miners. When I was a teenager, we went to a family reunion in Pennsylvania that was at a large park. We were driving around, trying to find the pavilion and then we saw a large banner that said, "The Kennedys--Lovers, Boozers, Fighters!" My mother cracked up, but I was mortified as only a fourteen year old can be! :D

Sandy K