Find results in...

the un-hi-jackable thread

sandykaypax

Larry wrote:> Anne,

>

> There have been some very interesting and intelligent

> people on this message board over the years. When I

> first came on here over a year ago, I went back and

> read many, many past writing and learned so much.

> And, fun too!!

>

> There are still some very good people on here, in

> fact most of them, including yourself, and we

> shouldn't lose them. I have received and sent out

> several PM's and E-Mails to at least a dozen people

> on here to dig in and stay. Most have complied but

> some are taking a breather.

> Don't leave us; stay and do some backtracking.

> Just to toot my own horn: I have two old threads in

> General Discussions (My Reminiscences and What I did

> on My Vacation). They were fairly popular back in

> the day.

>

> Have a great weekend!

>

> Larry

Thanks for your posts, Larry. I've been a regular on this site for over 4 years, and I've seen many people come and go. Some just lose interest after a while, or their lives get too busy, etc. I also seen a few periods where there is a lot of flaming and such, and it usually dies down eventually. It does seem to be getting worse over the past year, which worries me, but I just try to keep positive and not get involved. So I post a lot less than I used to, which is too bad, but I just don't need the stress and unhappiness of a flame war. I come here to enjoy myself and de-stress. Sometimes I feel that maybe I should stick my neck out more and come to the defense of someone that is involved in a dispute or argument, but I've just seen that backfire too many times. It's sad, because I had some great discussions in the past with posters here that had different opinions than me that were still very civil and respectful. We had a discussion once on blackface in films where I had a different opinion than just about everyone else! But it never devolved into name calling or ugliness. Sometimes I think that people just need to take a deep breath and re-read their post before they click on that Post Message button.

I'm reminded of a scene from the John Cusack movie, SAY ANYTHING, where he grabs a drunken friend at a party and shouts in his face, "You must chill! You must chill!" :D

Ok, off soapbox.

Sandy K

Message was edited by:

sandykaypax

Sandy Right on to what you said to Larry sorry I should have made that clear the first time anyway I couldn't agree with you more I have learned to just keep quite in public anyway and just converse with the people who are positive and are into talking about the nicer things on the threads . I will take this time to say thankyou to all who encouraged me to stay on

Sandy, Larry, Anne, Carol and all:

I'll say my part here. I've become quite concerned as well at the general tone of some of the conversations and frankly some of the language being put out here. My daughter likes to read this with me sometimes and while she's not exactly naive I would hope this would be one place she wouldn't have to run into a list of four letter words.

I understand people have different opinions and things aren't always communicated in the way they were intended but people get up in arms so quickly and it gets things all out of sorts. (I still don't quite understand what happened on the "Hedy" thread and I'm not sure I want to.)

This place is so much fun. You can learn so much. People go to great lengths to help out new posters and even are frequently gentle when someone asks a question that may be pretty obvious. I have a great deal of respect and fondness for many of you and really enjoy your posts. You have been kind and helpful to me and I appreciate it. Whatever our politics, whatever our religion, whatever our background we share one passion and that is movies. This should be the one thing nobody has to get really worked up about. It doesn't have to be this hard. But you can't have this many people involved in something and not have a few that want to take the discussion to another place.

I don't know that I've said this very well. It's the best I could do. I posted it back in the spring during a thread fight - "In with the good air, out with the bad." Let's have fun. Good heavens we have a programming challenge coming. Now back to the movies.

Thanks movieman:

You said it all beautifully, I try to P/M someone when I get too worked up on something, that way, when they see where I'm going, they can just delete it, or read it and agree or not, whichever they please. I tried to calm the water twice, then I saw myself starting to get into the thick, so I backed out for a few days. I guess that's the best way to go. I guess when some people are angry, you can't calm them down with words, unless they're accompanied by a right hook.

Sandy: I saw your message on my 'old stuff but not movies', thread and I really didn't plan on it being about the Emmys. I just wanted to mention the tribute to Dick Clark, because I realize many of us were his original fans when he left the Philly confines, and went national. He holds a warm place in my heart for great memories as do many of the actors/actresses we discuss here. All award shows are usually rerun on the "E" Channel in case anyone wanted to try to catch it. I would have put it here but, when I clicked on, you guys were in a recipe exchange which to tell the truth is not my thing. And I didn't want to charge headlong into a different subject, when everyone was enjoying themselves.

Anne

movieman, that is so great that your daughter reads these threads with you! You gotta start 'em young, appreciating classic film! lol!

I didn't even think about the 4 letter words--I don't have kids, but I do teach them and they know that I go to this site. I'm not about to censor anyone, but it is something to think about.

As far as the brouhaha over on the Hedy thread--Snarfie and Rocky made up and edited all their posts to reflect that.

Sandy K

Very well said, Sandy. Some people just love the drama. I've been on this board about a month now and enjoy it a lot, there are so many threads that are drama free, and most of the posters on here are really nice. There are always interesting discussions going on that don't have to resort to name-calling. I just don't see the point in it myself.

BTW, saw Longest Day for the first time a little bit ago( taped it Sunday afternoon). Enjoyed it much. I love most any war movie though :-)

Brad

If Brad will excuse my jumping in, it is about the Normandy invasion. It had nearly every major star in it from 1962. Clocking in at nearly 3 hours I think most people agree it is well made and covers a great deal of the invasion from all sides. I think it does a pretty good job of presenting the scope and size of the invasion. If you like war pictures I think you would enjoy it and you can play "Name That Star."

Inglis:

You have to see 'The Longest Day'. I avoided it like the plague for 30 years because it was my first husbands favorite movie, and he was such a creep that I didn't want to do, or see, anything that reminded me of him. But finally, last month I watched it, the second time it was on, I taped it, last week I watched it again, there is so much to it, that unless you really know your WWII history, you need a couple of showings to appreciate it. It will definitely be one of my 'fill in boring time' movies when there is nothing on that I want to watch.

Anne

I'm listening to an internet radio station right now on the Live365 site. It's called Rare, Old and Unusual. They are playing something called The Flying Saucer--it's one of those novelty records that has actors "interviewing" people about a flying saucer that was spotted, except all the interviewees are clips of songs that they play. Anyone remember this one or novelty records like this? It's silly.

Sandy K

Sandy:

Although 'Longest Day' is a 'war movie' there is very little actual fighting in it. It's really a 'diary' of the strategy we used for the Normandy invasion, and how the Germans tried to figure out what, when, where, and how we were going to pull it off. The German scenes do have subtitle tho, so put your specs on, and enjoy!

Anne

> Anyone remember this one or novelty records like this? It's silly.

I remember hearing that one on the radio (I think I was knee high to a grasshopper at the time). Isn't "I hear you knocking, but you can't come in" one of the clips? I heard The Flying Saucer before I had heard most of the 1950s' songs it referenced, so later when I listened to the source songs, I thought, "oh, that's where that came from."

DavidE

http://www.filmzoid.com

Hi Anne I have seen The Longest Day and I did enjoy it very much. I was always amazed at the star power in that film. I have always been interested in the war years ,my Mom lived on a farm in Scotland and they had Italian pow's working on the farm .My mom was 16 at the time and told me they were really nice guys and young boys is what she called them they were treated well and had 3 squares a day so the didn't want to go anywhere this was just toward the end of WWII. Just thought I would share that little story with you I do not mean to be a braggart,I just find sometimes that some discussions bring up memories I have a great photo of my Mom wearing one of those scarf's in her hair while she is working on the farm ,it reminds me of that movie Hope And Glory the actor was Sara Miles she wore this scarf to keep her hair up anyway I will go as I am rambling on.

> > Anyone remember this one or novelty records like

> this? It's silly.

>

> I remember hearing that one on the radio (I think I

> was knee high to a grasshopper at the time). Isn't "I

> hear you knocking, but you can't come in" one of the

> clips? I heard The Flying Saucer before I had heard

> most of the 1950s' songs it referenced, so later when

> I listened to the source songs, I thought, "oh,

> that's where that came from."

>

> DavidE

Yep, David, that's the one! When I was a kid in the 1970's, there was a record that used the same format called "Mr. Jaws." It was someone interviewing the shark from Jaws, I think...or maybe the James Bond villian...

I like old novelty songs. There's one that is silly called I Like Onions. That's pretty much the whole song--a woman singing I like onions. lol!

The only novelty song that I cannot listen to is the one that goes, "they're coming to take me away, ha ha ho ho" Gives me the creeps!

Sandy K

> http://www.filmzoid.com

> Sandy:

>

> Although 'Longest Day' is a 'war

> movie' there is very little actual fighting in

> it. It's really a 'diary' of the strategy we

> used for the Normandy invasion, and how the Germans

> tried to figure out what, when, where, and how we

> were going to pull it off. The German scenes do

> have subtitle tho, so put your specs on, and enjoy!

>

> Anne

I thought that was interesting how the film went back and forth between the American and German perspectives. My only small complaint would be that some of the subtitles were against white backgrounds and were hard to read. Did anybody else notice this?

Brad

> Hi Brad I just wanted to say welcome I don't know if

> I had before or not. I like The Longest Day too .So

> many stars in that one I tried counting them once

> when I was watching and I gave up anyway nice to have

> you here .

Thanks for the welcome, I'm glad to be here. Always enjoy your posts :-)

Brad