Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the un-hi-jackable thread

Brad:

You're definitely right. It's like credits, when the writing is in red, which I assume is a good color to stand out, but then they use a pink or orange background, and you can't read the things.

In B&W you would think they would outline the words in black for that reason.

Anne

Hi Sandy and Chris Anne Brad Larry and sorry to ever I miss . what is new here I was looking for this thread glad I found it .My kids go back to school on Wed and I go back to work .Did anybody catch Sorry Wrong Number the other day ?I had not seen it in years and was really excited about seeing it again what suspense and what an ending .Well last night we watched Harry Potter the first movie ,my daughter is now getting into the books and so must see movies now . I am glad that she has stopped reading Mary Kate and Ashley I would cringe each time we went to library but I would say why don't you try Harry Potter and she would just give me the look so I would bite my tongue and let her get the books. her best friend is a boy named Adam and he has gotten her into the Harry series. I hope all is well with you all have a good weekend , Inglis

You know kids can never try something that their parents recommend! ;)

I like the Harry Potter books, too. I've read them all. My husband and I fight over who gets to read first when a new one comes out.

I didn't get to see or record SORRY, WRONG NUMBER. I did record the early Stanwyck films that were on in the morning. Yesterday, I was feeling lazy so I laid on the couch all afternoon and watched 3 movies--ALGIERS, THE BLUE BIRD, and BORN YESTERDAY. I liked ALGIERS, but I wish that the print was better. The print of THE BLUE BIRD was good--I liked that movie as a kid and I hadn't seen it in probably 25 years. It was a strange little film--not as bad as some people say, but not really a success, either.

Sandy K

I everybody:

I'm in a better mood today, something I read yesterday set me off like a rocket and I was in rant mode al day, Sorry for that.

Anyway, all moms know that in addition to being chief cook and bottle washer, teacher, nurse, etc. they also have to be detective, and profiler. I found the best way to get a kid to do something, is to do it yourself, e.g. read a book aimed at them, and leave it open to an exciting passage where they have to pick it up to move it, kids are as curious as old women, and 9 times out of 10, they'll check what you're reading, hoping for something juicy, and lots of times they just continue reading. I did that with 2 of my grandkids, and it worked, one a girl and the other a boy.

Good luck,

Anne

Totally new train of thought: I'm listening to a great cd right now. It's Mood Indigo:Capitol Sings Duke Ellington. I would LOVE to buy it, but it is out of print. I've ripped a copy from the library to my computer. It's got a wonderful version of Caravan by the Nat King Cole Trio.

Anyone else like Duke Ellington, Capitol records,etc.?

Sandy K

I'm a fan of Duke Ellington, especially his music from the 1920s and 1930s. Here's a link to one of my favorites, East St Louis Toodle-oo: http://www.archive.org/details/EastStLouis. Even though this 1926 public-domain recording is a bit noisy, the quality of the music still comes through.

Here's a link to a 1929 public-domain recording of Louis Armstrong & His Orchestra performing Ain't Misbehavin': http://www.archive.org/details/Misbehavin.

I didn't know much about Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, or Chick Webb until I saw Ken Burns' Jazz documentary. Now I can't get enough of them.

DavidE

Thanks for the links, David!! I really need to check out the Ken Burns Jazz documentary, it seems.

On a totally unrelated note: what happened to patful? I'm noticing that all his posts have been edited to have just a period--no text. But it doesn't say "Edited by patful" at the bottom of the post, like it always does when someone edits their post. Anyone know what is going on?

Sandy K

Sandy,

That thread had turned into a battlefield and as a wise man once told me a few nights ago, "with many of the posts deleted, it looks like swiss cheese".

The Hedy thread was like a siren's song for a couple of posters who just could not stay away and wrecked their havoc on this board under the guise of their love of Hedy.

Sometimes, it's best to leave a battlefield as it was as a reminder to all of the crassness and the havoc that can ensue out here on the 'net

Well, hello everyone. I decided I would test the water. I am kinda into numerology, and eight is supposed to be my lucky number this year, the year of the Dog. It is the 17th, and one and seven is eight. I left on the 19th last month. One from nine is eight. So, I am hoping for a happy return. I even came back at 4:38. I need all the luck I can get!! Ha!

I chose Sandy's thread to return. It was slipping way far away.

> Well, hello everyone. I decided I would test the

> water. I am kinda into numerology, and eight is

> supposed to be my lucky number this year, the year of

> the Dog. It is the 17th, and one and seven is eight.

> I left on the 19th last month. One from nine is

> eight. So, I am hoping for a happy return. I even

> came back at 4:38. I need all the luck I can

> get!! Ha!

>

> I chose Sandy's thread to return. It was slipping

> way far away.

Welcome Back. The Boards are already better !

James, I got so excited when I saw your name on the last post (thread screen)!

I was born in the Chinese year of the snake. Ssssssss...

In Numerology, 8 is supposed to be a good number for making money.

My birth number is 9 (humanitarian number).

My name number is 6 (home, luxury---some of the same characteristics as the Snake which I find interesting.)

Cool.

I was thinking of you because there is a day of Garbo movies on tomorrow (Monday). I definitely going to record a bunch. Can you believe, I've never seen Queen Christina?

Sandy K

Hi, Sandy! And, cool numbers! This is the best thread to just talk about nothing (along with inglis'). I decided to use it cause you kept in contact with me.

No! I can't believe you have never seen Queen Christina. It is a masterpiece by Mamoulian! I love his work. And, besides the divine one, it makes you wonder why Gilbert didn't succeed. I don't think he was any better or any worse than many of the male leads. Oh, well, that's Hollywood history.

Thanks for the warm welcome.