Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

the un-hi-jackable thread

C'mon Jack:

I've 'heard' you wax eloquent about the beauty of lighting through a window and you don't notice that Gretas' hair looks like the little dutch boy on a can of paint? We all love you but puhleaseee!

Anne

Sorry, Mrs. L; I can find no fault in the sublime beauty of Greta Garbo. I guess I'm blinded to her flaws, but I don't mind. I wouldn't change a hair. One of my greatest joys of DVDs is I now have the ability to freeze frame her close-ups.

Remember, my quirks are legion...

JackBurley,

You mentioned in another topic (sorry...I have limited time and I can't find the thread), you liked to buy DVDs because of the extras and second audo track(s)?

Have you ever encountered an audio commentary by someone calling himself "The DVD Savant"? If you have listened to the guy, what do you think of the "DVD Savant"? Why do I ask? Well, I have listened to, maybe, twenty second audio tracks and the DVD Savant's commentary to "Gun Crazy" stands out as a positive addition to watching the movie. He does not try to impress the audience ("oh...I have VAST knowledge") by blabbing about obvious and irrelevant "facts". He simply adds interesting bits of trivia and historical items as the movie plays. I wonder what other DVDs include the DVD Savant on second audio track?

Oh, here it is (I just looked him up)...the fellow's name is Glenn Erickson.

Rusty

Message was edited by:

jarhfive

Hi, Jack! Well, for the most part I agree with you. She is sublime, and the only actress whose hair does not have any affect on her performance. But, I have noticed, and noticed early, that Hollywood spent hours on everyone's hair, but Greta's looked like she did it herself. Maybe that was part of her contract, cause in her silents they did spend a lot of time on her hair. And, even in Inspiration she had quite a hair-do on her. They left a bobbie pin in her hair in Grand Hotel, for cryin' out loud. They could have just let it fall, which would have been beautiful, or they could have put a diamond clip, but no, just a pin. Very strange, I would like to know the story behind that pin.

But, on the point that it makes no difference or doesn't matter, I concur wholeheartedly! I would watch her if her hair were standing on end! She is beyond reproach, and the greatest actress/star in the world, IMHO!

Jack:

I eat my words,dream away with my blessing because I feel the same way about Robert Mitchum, um, um, um, . . . :0

Inglis:

I never realized Ruth Gordon was ever young and pretty, it's kind of like seeing Walter Brennan, even in 'Sgt. York', he's made up to be old, and he couldn't have been that old when that film was made unless he was born at 60 years of age. And I never noticed Ruth in earlier movies until yesterday. What a shockeroo.

:D

Anne

"If you have listened to the guy, what do you think of the "DVD Savant"? Why do I ask? Well, I have listened to, maybe, twenty second audio tracks and the DVD Savant's commentary to "Gun Crazy" stands out as a positive addition to watching the movie."

Yes, the main reason that I buy DVDs is for the added material. I've already seen most of the movies, but the supplemental material adds so much to the experience and I love learning about the background of the films.

I don't think I've had the pleasure of hearing any of the DVD Savant's commentaries though. Unfortunately I don't own Gun Crazy. I wonder for what other movies he's recorded commentaries? I'll watch for him. Thanks for the tips.

One of the best commentaries I've heard is The Harvey Girls with the director, George Sidney as the commentarist. What an opportunity to have the actual director from that era to share with us. And it's obvious that he's watching the movie with us (some commentaries sound like they're just reading from a script and it has nothing to do with what's on the screen at the time). Mr. Sidney tells us about the extras: these faces that we see repeatedly in Freed productions; finally we hear their stories. It's very personal and he's charming.

My all-time favorite commentary is Roger Ebert's commentary for Citizen Kane. Whenever I listen to this, I need to set aside alot of time because his insights inspire me to rewind and watch scenes repeatedly to study his points. It's fascinating.

Jack,

I remember reading Roger Ebert took a trip from Chicago to my former place of higher education (University of Colorado) and used a moviola to study "Citizen Kane" frame-by-frame. I bet Ebert know his "Kane". Obviously, this was before digital video. By the way, what happened to Mr. Ebert? No, not his illness...but the last few times I watched his syndicated film review show he was "thumbs up" for movies I thought, "jeez...that movie MUST be pretty lousy". Okay...Roger Ebert was not the most educated film reviewer, but when he was teamed with Gene Siskel...they made a nice pair. Siskel panned almost everything from Hollywood...moderating Ebert's "Hooray for Hollywood" passion. I kind of trusted Roger Ebert's opinions (movie-wise). Now, with that "new" guy...Ebert seems to like stuff that...simply should not have a dime of hard earned cash wasted on tickets or rentals or disks.

Oh well, Mr. Ebert did provide me with his "how to tell who done it in a whodunit". I give thanks for the "solving whodunit" knowledge...although, it has ruined many of my murder mystery movie viewings.

The "Harvey Girls" commentary sounds interesting. I think I will check out the DVD.

Rusty