Favorite Foreign Top Ten Lists

My Top Ten Favorite list of war movies released in: 1960s is:

Two Comrades Were Serving (1968)

Is Paris Burning? (1966)
Ivan's Childhood (1962)
The Good Soldier Schweik (1960)
The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Destination Death (1964)
...and the Fifth Horseman Is Fear (1965)
Le Petit Soldat (1963)
Ningen no jôken (1961)
Sedmoy sputnik (1968)
  • Like 5

Two Women (1960)

Ivan's Childhood (1962)

Attack and Retreat (1964)

Is Paris Burning (1966)

War and Peace (1967)

Army of Shadows (1969)

... the best I can do, I'm afraid!  I'm making note of all your films SansFin on my to-see list which I shall complete if I live to 165.

• Like 3

Two Women (1960)

Ivan's Childhood (1962)

Is Paris Burning (1966)

War and Peace (1967)

Army of Shadows (1969)

... the best I can do, I'm afraid!

I believe that your grasp of: non-American movies is exceptional on this forum!

I thought to include: Sergey Bondarchuk's War and Peace (1966) but I mean these lists to be at least partially suggestions for viewing and I believe that it would be foolish to an extreme to believe that most here would wish to watch a movie of more than seven hours. 

I believe that your grasp of: non-American movies is exceptional on this forum!

I thought to include: Sergey Bondarchuk's War and Peace (1966) but I mean these lists to be at least partially suggestions for viewing and I believe that it would be foolish to an extreme to believe that most here would wish to watch a movie of more than seven hours. 

I didn't see War and Peace in the cinema.  When it played in Toronto one theatre served borscht at intermission.

I put the film down as 1967 as wasn't it originally released over a number of years?

I didn't see War and Peace in the cinema.  When it played in Toronto one theatre served borscht at intermission.

I put the film down as 1967 as wasn't it originally released over a number of years?

I am sorry to say that I do not know details of initial release. I know that it is most often shown in segments rather than continuous. I do not precisely know when I first watched it but it was at least a few years after its release.

Did any of you see a Russian film called, in English, PEACE TO HIM WHO ENTERS (1961), directed by Aleksandr Alov and Vladimir Naumov? I saw this movie at a college film society and liked it very much. For years I've been trying to recall the title, but found it while looking over lists of films for our Favorite Performances thread. The imdb rating is 7.5/10, but there are no reviews posted.

Two Comrades Were Serving (1968)

Is Paris Burning? (1966)

Ivan's Childhood (1962)

The Good Soldier Schweik (1960)

The Battle of Algiers (1966)

Destination Death (1964)

...and the Fifth Horseman Is Fear (1965)

Le Petit Soldat (1963)

Ningen no jôken (1961)

Sedmoy sputnik (1968)

I was just curious Sans Fin. Did you get to see all of these films when you were living in Eastern Europe?

Or were you able to view these films in the United States?

If I had had the time, I could have seen all these films in Paris. But I can't picture any place in the United States where you could have actually seen all these films in a movie theater.

I bet you know a number foreign languages too. I'm quite impressed.

Did any of you see a Russian film called, in English, PEACE TO HIM WHO ENTERS (1961), directed by Aleksandr Alov and Vladimir Naumov? 

I believe that it is likely that I have seen it because the synopsis seems vaguely familiar. I am sorry to say that I can recall no scenes nor performances in it. I hope you understand that my failure to recall it does not reflect on the quality of the movie. There are many times that I find that I am watching a movie which did not impress me in any way when I first saw it but I found to be exceptional upon re-viewing.

This is a foreign films list, not a foreign actors list but:......

Favourite Ten Foreign Language Artists: Europe

1. Greta Garbo

2. Max Von Sydow

3. Ingrid Bergman

4. Simone Signoret

5. Igmar Bergman

6. Fellini

7. Oscar Werner

8. Fritz Lang

9. Sophia Loren -especially effective in her native Italian

10. Louis Jordan -usually did parts in English, but....well, I had to include him

I was just curious Sans Fin. Did you get to see all of these films when you were living in Eastern Europe?

I believe that it is safe to say that I watched an average of at least one movie each day from when I was able to sit in a high-chair until I left home to come here. The vast majority of these movies were foreign movies until I became teenager. This included: American and: British movies because they were foreign movies for us. The domestic movies which I watched as teenager are foreign now because I am living here. 

It is also that I exchange DVDs with people from my old home city. It is primarily that I send them: American movies and they send me movies from nearly all of: Europe because they have easy access to them. My friends and relatives are eclectic in their viewing and sharing and so it is not unusual for me to receive in same package movies ranging from: The Mysterious X (1914) which is Danish silent drama to: How Not to Rescue a Princess (2010) which is Russian fairy tale animation. 

• Like 1

My Top Ten Favorite list of animated movies released in: 1950s is:

The Snow Queen (1957)

The Night Before Christmas (1951)

Magic Boy (1959)

Panda and the Magic Serpent (1958)

Old Czech Legends (1953)

Snegurochka (1952)

A Treasure on Bird Island (1953)

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1959)

The Curious Adventures of Mr. Wonderbird (1952)

The Wolf and the Seven Little Goats (1957)
  • Like 4

I've actually seen two of these!

I find that to be both happy and sad. I am happy that you have had access to at least a few of them. I am sad that the others are not easily available to you. I hope that you would enjoy them.

There is an English-dubbed version of: The Snow Queen (1957) in release from: Universal with introduction by: Art Linkletter available on YouTube. It is not of best quality in both audio and video but it may give a person an idea of how wonderful it is.

My Top Ten Favorite list of comedy crime movies released in: 1960s is:

...And Suddenly It's Murder! (1960)

Inspector Palmu's Error (1960) / It Is Written in the Stars, Inspector Palmu (1962)

Mördaren - en helt vanlig person (1967)

Watch Out for the Automobile (1966)

The Diamond Arm (1969)

Nejlepsí zenská mého zivota (1968)

Fantomas Unleashed (1965)

The Troops of St. Tropez (1964)

Olsen-banden (1968)

Derevenskiy detektiv (1969)

• Like 3

Snegurochka (1952)

Natalia Bogunova, my favorite actress, was cast as Snegurochka in Vesenniaya Skazka (1971). Because of that, Snegurochka became a very special character to me. I also find Snegurochka (1968) starring Evgenia Filonova as Snegurochka quite impressive.

Kingrat's Sweet Sixteen Foreign Films for the 1960s (mostly chronological):

L'AVVENTURA

PURPLE NOON (PLEIN SOLEIL)

LA DOLCE VITA

THE VIRGIN SPRING

LES BONNES FEMMES

IL POSTO

JULES AND JIM

CLEO FROM 5 TO 7

THE ORGANIZER

THE FIRE WITHIN (LE FEU FOLLET)

THIS SPECIAL FRIENDSHIP (LES AMITIES PARTICULIERES)

LIFE UPSIDE DOWN

THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG

WOMAN IN THE DUNES

PERSONA

THE KILLING GAME (JEU DE MASSACRE)

• Like 2

My Top Favorite list of science fiction movies released in: 1950s is:

Non-Japanese science fiction movies of: 1950s:

Alraune (1952)

1 April 2000 (1952)

The Fabulous World of Jules Verne (1958)

Japanese science fiction movies of: 1950s:

Godzilla (1954)

Rodan (1956)

The Mysterians (1957)

Tômei ningen (1954)

Daikaijû Baran (1958)

I would like also to note unique movie series which is feature films based on popular television program:
Gekkô kamen (1958) aka: The Man in the Moonlight Mask
Gekkô kamen - Zekkai no Shitō (1958) aka: Duel to the Death in Dangerous Waters
Gekkô kamen - Satan no tsume (1958) aka: The Claws of Satan
Gekkô kamen - kaiju Kongu  (1959) aka: The Monster Gorilla
Gekkô kamen - Yûrei tô no gyakushû (1959) aka: The Challenging Ghost
Gekkô kamen - akuma no saigo (1959) aka: The Last Death of the Devil
  • Like 2

My Top Favorite list of science fiction movies released in: 1950s is:

Non-Japanese science fiction movies of: 1950s:

Alraune (1952)

I managed to catch an earlier version of Alraune (1928) at the NFT in London.  It starred Brigitte Helm as the creation.  She was very good in it too.

• Like 1

I managed to catch an earlier version of Alraune (1928) at the NFT in London.  It starred Brigitte Helm as the creation.  She was very good in it too.

I am sorry to say that I have never watched that movie. I am sure that she was excellent!

My Top Ten Favorite list of romantic comedy movies released in: 1940s is:

Spring (1947)

Here's to the Girls (1949)

Four Hearts (1945)

Doctor, Beware (1941)

Med dej i mina armar (1940)

Life Is Beautiful (1940)

Montmartre sur Seine (1941)

Gigi (1949)

Supper for Two (1947)

The Gay Party (1946)

• Like 2

Sansfin, Have you seen the Russian film Za Dvumya Zaytsami or Chasing Two Hares (1961).  I managed to get a copy from my library but had to put the subtitles on myself.  Well-worth it though.  It is very, very funny and not all foreign comedies translate to our Anglo senisibilites.

Sansfin, Have you seen the Russian film Za Dvumya Zaytsami or Chasing Two Hares (1961).  I managed to get a copy from my library but had to put the subtitles on myself.  Well-worth it though.  It is very, very funny and not all foreign comedies translate to our Anglo senisibilites.

I have indeed watched it! I am sorry to say that I remember little of it but for the stars. O. Borisov is truly a treasure. N. Yakovchenko is very precious in all roles.

I have to cast with a bigger net I'm afraid as I've not seen enough foreign films to do just genres.  Most film fans have probably seen my top ten Italian films of the 1960's so I have decided to make a little bigger list of those I would consider favourites.

La Dolce Vita (1960)

Rocco and His Brothers (1960)

L'avventura (1960)

Two Women (1960)

The Passionate Thief (1960

Il Posto (1961)

La Notte (1961)

Bandits of Orgosolo (1961)

Divorce Italian Style (1961)

Family Diary (1962)

Salvatore Giuliano (1962)

Boccaccio '70 (1962) Sophia Loren episode

8 1/2 (1963)

The Leopard (1963)

The Organizer (1963)

Marriage Italian Style (1964)

A Fistful of Dollars (1964)

For a Few Dollars More (1965)

The Tenth Victim (1965)

The Big Gundown (1966)

Once Upon a Time In the West (1968)

Fellini Satyricon (1969)

Burn! (1969)

• Like 3

I have to cast with a bigger net I'm afraid as I've not seen enough foreign films to do just genres. 

I believe that I have several decades more experience watching foreign movies than you do. It feels odd when I am looking at list of movies in a genre and thinking that it is excellent foreign movie and then realizing that it is: American or: British movie which was foreign to me but is not considered: foreign in this forum.

I have done now my lists for most obvious genres in select decades. I would have to also cast wider net to include movies which are of smaller genres or genres spread over several decades.

• Like 1