Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Foreign Top Ten Lists

SansFin, I'm watching a Mosfilm production at the moment, and I was wondering if you could tell me why is it that in most of their films, the credited actors and crew are referred to by the first initial and last name, instead of the full name. Is it simply a cultural thing, a traditional practice, or was there more to it than that?

SansFin, I'm watching a Mosfilm production at the moment, and I was wondering if you could tell me why is it that in most of their films, the credited actors and crew are referred to by the first initial and last name, instead of the full name. Is it simply a cultural thing, a traditional practice, or was there more to it than that?

That is how it is done in all things. Best is to have full first, middle and last names. I believe that you might understand that requires considerable room for some names. You might have instead initials of first and middle names and full last name or initial of first name and full last name. Full first name, initial of middle name and full last name is not done.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Favorite Anime

1) Akira

2) Spirited Away

3) Princess Mononoke

4) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

5) Golgo 13: The Professional

6) Kiki's Delivery Service

7) Paprika

8) Fist of the North Star

9) Vampire Hunter D

10) Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend (really bizarre and disturbing)

• Like 2

Favorite Anime

1) Akira

2) Spirited Away

3) Princess Mononoke

7) Paprika

9) Ninja Scroll

Spirited Away is my favourite Anime movie of all time so far.

Some of you may enjoy this linked article:

• Salman Rushdie talks about going to the movies in an interview streaming at Literary Hub. “It’s hard now,” he says, “to explain to people what it felt like when this week’s new movie was Pierrot le fou, by Godard. And how in the week that followed that there would be a new movie by Fellini, and in the week after that, a new movie by Kurosawa. And the week after that a new Ingmar Bergman movie. And the week after that the new Buñuel movie. And these films that we now think of as the great classics of world cinema were the new movies.”
  • Like 3

Favorite South Korean Films

1) Oldboy

2) Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance

3) Lady Vengeance

4) The Host

5) Thirst

6) Public Enemy

7) Shiri

8) Bad Guy

9) A Tale of Two Sisters

10) Save the Green Planet!

11) Attack the Gas Station

12) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring

13) 3-Iron

14) The Chaser

• Like 2

Favorite Anime

1) Akira

2) Spirited Away

3) Princess Mononoke

7) Paprika

9) Vampire Hunter D

"Akira" seemed to be on TV quite often 10-15 years ago but haven't seen it for years.

"Fist of the North Star", kind of the same.

In fact a number of these anime movies and serial TV shows are hardly ever on US TV now.  Is this for PC reasons?

"Akira" seemed to be on TV quite often 10-15 years ago but haven't seen it for years.

"Fist of the North Star", kind of the same.

In fact a number of these anime movies and serial TV shows are hardly ever on US TV now.  Is this for PC reasons?

I'm not sure. I haven't watched a lot of anime in the last decade or so, except for the Ghibli films. I don't know what gets shown on TV, although I thought some channel or other showed a lot of anime. I always see a ton of titles for pre-order on Amazon.

I recall there was an edited, English-dub version of Nausicaa that aired on HBO a lot in the 80's under the title Warriors of the Wind.  I recall another entitled The Dagger of Kamui that was all over the place in a heavily-edited version called Revenge of the Ninja Warrior.  

Speaking of which, a few others I liked were Ninja ScrollWicked City, and Ghost In the Shell.

I haven't seen very many foreign films so forgive me if many of my choices are Studio Ghibli films.

1. Kiki's Delivery Service

2. Amelie

3. M

4. Princess Mononoke

5. The Secret World of Arrietty

6. The Cat Returns

7. From Up on Poppy Hill

8. Spirited Away

9. The Wind Rises

10. Whisper of the Heart

• Like 2

I'm not sure. I haven't watched a lot of anime in the last decade or so, except for the Ghibli films. I don't know what gets shown on TV, although I thought some channel or other showed a lot of anime. I always see a ton of titles for pre-order on Amazon.

I recall there was an edited, English-dub version of Nausicaa that aired on HBO a lot in the 80's under the title Warriors of the Wind.  I recall another entitled The Dagger of Kamui that was all over the place in a heavily-edited version called Revenge of the Ninja Warrior.  

Speaking of which, a few others I liked were Ninja ScrollWicked City, and Ghost In the Shell.

There are a lot of anime series that air late at night on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.  I saw Full Metal Alchemist, Cowboy Beebop, Fooly Cooly (FLCL), Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and Neon Genesis Evangelion on this channel.

I haven't seen very many foreign films so forgive me if many of my choices are Studio Ghibli films.

2. Amelie

3. M

4. Princess Mononoke

6. The Cat Returns

7. From Up on Poppy Hill

8. Spirited Away

9. The Wind Rises

10. Whisper of the Heart

Great list.

I have not seen number1, 7 or 9.

My Top Favorite list of science fiction movies released in: 1950s is:

Japanese science fiction movies of: 1950s:

Godzilla (1954)

Rodan (1956)

The Mysterians (1957)

Tômei ningen (1954)

Daikaijû Baran (1958)

I would like also to note unique movie series which is feature films based on popular television program:
Gekkô kamen (1958) aka: The Man in the Moonlight Mask
Gekkô kamen - Zekkai no Shitō (1958) aka: Duel to the Death in Dangerous Waters
Gekkô kamen - Satan no tsume (1958) aka: The Claws of Satan
Gekkô kamen - kaiju Kongu  (1959) aka: The Monster Gorilla
Gekkô kamen - Yûrei tô no gyakushû (1959) aka: The Challenging Ghost
Gekkô kamen - akuma no saigo (1959) aka: The Last Death of the Devil

Thanks for this listing.  I only saw the original "Gojira" a few years ago (on DVD) and was amazed how much better it was than the the US version with Perry Mason.

And have not seen "The Mysterians" in over 50 years.  It made a big impression on me as a kid.  Now watching a poor copy on YouTubes makes me realize it was the score that was a big part of my enjoyment.

Not sure what would be included here, if films from Great Britain are to be included?

But the movies that have made me exclaim "Wow!" after watching would be:

"M" (just saw a few weeks ago)

"Ran" (1985)

And thanks to "The Director's Chair" on El Rey Network, I've watched a few of G. del Torro's movies

2. Amelie

3. M

4. Princess Mononoke

6. The Cat Returns

7. From Up on Poppy Hill

8. Spirited Away

9. The Wind Rises

10. Whisper of the Heart

I believe that no one should ever apologize for knowing: Studio Ghibli well and loving them. I feel they are the most dynamic full-length animation studio of present day. 

I am sorry that I did not see: My Neighbor Totoro (1988) is your list. That is my favorite: Hayao Miyazaki movie. Castle in the Sky (1986) and: Whisper of the Heart (1995) tie for second place as: my favorite: Studio Ghibli movie.

Not sure what would be included here, if films from Great Britain are to be included?

I often think to include: USA movies when looking through list of titles because they were foreign movies when I first watched them. ;)

I am sure none would complain of lists of movies from: Great Britain.

Favorite Japanese Films from the Last 25 Years*

Rhapsody in August (1991)

Sonatine (1993)

Fireworks (1997)

Ringu (1998)

Tomie (1998)

Audition (1999)

Dead or Alive (1999)

Taboo  (1999)

Wild Zero (1999)

Battle Royale (2000)

Brother (2000)

Uzumaki (2000)

The Happiness of the Katakuris  (2001)

Ichi the Killer  (2001)

Visitor Q (2001)

Suicide Club  (2002)

The Twilight Samurai (2002)

Azumi  (2003)

The Hidden Blade (2004)

Tokyo Zombie  (2005)

Big Man Japan (2007)

Departures (2008)

13 Assassins (2010)

*excluding animation

• Like 2

TO-SEE FOREIGN FILM LIST -Long time on My To-See List: Any Country

1. Seven Samerai - I've got this recorded and I have seen The Magnificent Seven around 100 times. Usually, I prefer to see the original language first.

2. Rafifi - not sure when this will be available to me here in Canada. I may need to buy it?

3. Tokyo Story

4.The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

5. Fanny and Alexander

6. Persona

7. Through a Glass Darkly

8.The Virgin Spring

9.Cinema Paradiso

10.L'Avventura

• Like 1

Lawrence,

Thanks for your list.

Not sure if I've seen "Ichi the Killer" (contemporary setting?) or another film "The Blind Swordsman, Zatoichi".  I think it was "Ichi the Killer" and I switched over after 15-20 minutes.

I guess my problem is with Beat Takeshi and his generally same kind of very low key 'take' on characters.

While living in Japan in the mid-80s we enjoyed his show "Takeski's Castle", kind of a modern day "Beat the Clock" with lots of physical tasks.  No subtitles so we didn't know he was saying but stillyou got the message.

"Audition" / "Odishon" is an amazing film that I still have trouble watching completely through.  It taps into images that seem directly wired into the 'sub-brain'.  KInd of like the whipping scene of Kerry Washington in "Django Unchanined".

I'm making no excuses with this list. Some of these films are great and some are simply entertaining, but they are simply my favorite French and Japanese language films.

Nothing against other languages, but I have adapted these cultures into my life and I've studied these languages.

1) Nora Inu/ stray dog-- Kurosawa, 1949

2)La Gloire de Mon Père/ my father's Glory--Yves Robert, 1990

3) Jean de Florette et Manon des Sources--Claude Berri, 1986

4) Shall We Dansu?--Masayuki Suo, 1996

5)La Femme d'à côté-- Truffaut, 1981

6) Drunken Angel-- Kurosawa, 1948

7) Colonel Chabert--Yves Angelo, 1994

8) Cyrano de Bergerac--Jean-Paul Rappeneau, 1990

9) The High and the Low-- Kurosawa,1963

10) Tokyo Story--Ozu,1953

11) Rampo--Enoki & Okayama

12) Dragnet Girl--Ozu, 1933 ( silent)

13) Madame Bovary--Claude Chabrol, 1991

14) Day for Night-- Truffaut, 1973

15) Shoot the Piano Player-- Truffaut, 1960

Princess, you did not mention Le Castle de ma Mere, the sequel to Le Gloire de mon Pere. The latter you do include. Perhaps you viewed it and didn't like it. For a long time I favored Mere but these movies are so wonderful and so tied together I can no longer compare them. The two movies should be considered one work. On a deeply personal note, my reaction at the end of of Le Castle de ma Mere was so profound that I must count this as the most touching experience a movie has ever given me. I am near reluctant to see it again, oh not really, but it was harrowingly bittersweet for me. I love the movie. If you by chance have not seen it I would recommend it.

As you probably know, the little boy in the memoirs above grew up and penned The Fanny Trilogy as well as Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources (as novels), which I see you have on your list (as movies, of course). I would liked to have met Marcel Pagnol.

===

Lawrence,

Thanks for your list.

Not sure if I've seen "Ichi the Killer" (contemporary setting?) or another film "The Blind Swordsman, Zatoichi".  I think it was "Ichi the Killer" and I switched over after 15-20 minutes.

I guess my problem is with Beat Takeshi and his generally same kind of very low key 'take' on characters.

Ichi the Killer is a wildly over-the-top yakuza film from Takashi Miike starring Tadanobu Asano. Miike churned out a ton of yakuza films during the 90's, and he seemed to combine everything into this straightfaced parody. It's very violent, cartoonishly so. One DVD release came with an IV bag of fake blood, if that tells you anything.

Zatoichi (2003) was Beat Takeshi's remake of the venerated film series from the 60's and 70's about the wandering blind masseuse. I liked it alright, although not enough to put it on my list. I'm a fan of the older films, and I wished Takeshi had just made something more original. I also wasn't thrilled with his return to yakuza tales in Outrage (2010). I still think my favorite film of his is Violent Cop (1989).

• Like 1

Princess, you did not mention Le Castle de ma Mere, the sequel to Le Gloire de mon Pere. The latter you do include. Perhaps you viewed it and didn't like it. For a long time I favored Mere but these movies are so wonderful and so tied together I can no longer compare them. The two movies should be considered one work. On a deeply personal note, my reaction at the end of of Le Castle de ma Mere was so profound that I must count this as the most touching experience a movie has ever given me. I am near reluctant to see it again, oh not really, but it was harrowingly bittersweet for me. I love the movie. If you by chance have not seen it I would recommend it.

As you probably know, the little boy in the memoirs above grew up and penned The Fanny Trilogy as well as Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources (as novels), which I see you have on your list (as movies, of course). I would liked to have met Marcel Pagnol.

===

Laffite--

The two Yves Robert movies follow Pagnol's memoirs very well about Marseille and Garlaban. I fell in love with all the characters particularly Oncle Jules. I honestly felt that the second book--Le Château de Ma Mère was much weaker so the film was much weaker. I brought the CD soundtrack of the movie in Paris. Vladimir Cosma wrote that Beautiful music. I believe he did a lot of movies for Yves Robert.

I never cared much for Fanny. We had to read Topaz in high school French class.

They've made American and French movies of that play, but I haven't seen either one.

The two Manon movies are truly magnificent cinema by Claude Berri with the best actors France or any country had to offer in the latter part of the twentieth century.

Talking about Marseille, I'm a big fan of Fernandel movies. They show them all the time on television in France. I love his music too. He did some collaborations with Pagnol. I wouldn't say Fernandel's Cinema was great, but it's exceedingly heart rendering and entertaining.

Chacun à son goût.

Laffite--

The two Yves Robert movies follow Pagnol's memoirs very well about Marseille and Garlaban. I fell in love with all the characters particularly Oncle Jules. I honestly felt that the second book--Le Château de Ma Mère was much weaker so the film was much weaker. I brought the CD soundtrack of the movie in Paris. Vladimir Cosma wrote that Beautiful music. I believe he did a lot of movies for Yves Robert.

I never cared much for Fanny. We had to read Topaz in high school French class.

They've made American and French movies of that play, but I haven't seen either one.

The two Manon movies are truly magnificent cinema by Claude Berri with the best actors France or any country had to offer in the latter part of the twentieth century.

Talking about Marseille, I'm a big fan of Fernandel movies. They show them all the time on television in France. I love his music too. He did some collaborations with Pagnol. I wouldn't say Fernandel's Cinema was great, but it's exceedingly heart rendering and entertaining.

Chacun à son goût.

You have not seen the Hitchcock Movie Topaz?

It's not my favourite Hitchcock film, but I like it better than Torn Curtain.

Ichi the Killer is a wildly over-the-top yakuza film from Takashi Miike starring Tadanobu Asano. Miike churned out a ton of yakuza films during the 90's, and he seemed to combine everything into this straightfaced parody. It's very violent, cartoonishly so. One DVD release came with an IV bag of fake blood, if that tells you anything.

Zatoichi (2003) was Beat Takeshi's remake of the venerated film series from the 60's and 70's about the wandering blind masseuse. I liked it alright, although not enough to put it on my list. I'm a fan of the older films, and I wished Takeshi had just made something more original. I also wasn't thrilled with his return to yakuza tales in Outrage (2010). I still think my favorite film of his is Violent Cop (1989).

Lawrence--

In 2000 Takeshi Kitano made a film called Brother for the American audience in Japan and in the United States. Maybe you've seen it; it co-starred Omar Epps. It reminds me a little bit of Sonatine.

It's a pure entertainment American yakuza where Takeshi pulls together all of the various ethnic gangster groups in the US for a multi-ethnic gang war.

I really like what Kitano does with this movie because he manages to have a firm foothold in Japanese culture while he has a strong understanding of American culture and of the various ethnicities within that culture. But with all these Dynamics going on, Maybe in some parts of this movie he bit off more than he could chew.

If you've seen this movie, I would be curious to know what you thought about it.

You have not seen the Hitchcock Movie Topaz?

It's not my favourite Hitchcock film, but I like it better than Torn Curtain.

You didn't read the whole post. We're talking about French movies here. Topaz is a play in French literature and it's been made into an American and a French movie as well.

You didn't read the whole post. We're talking about French movies here. Topaz is a play in French literature and it's been made into an American and a French movie as well.

Topaz is also a cold war book, and you said you had not seen the American  version..

There are lot of books that have both a foreign language version and an English language version.

It's about French people and most of the actors in the movie are French.