Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite Foreign Top Ten Lists

Topaz is also a cold war book, and you said you had not seen the American version..

There are lot of books that have both a foreign language version and an English language version.

It's about French people and most of the actors in the movie are French.

The Topaz that we were talking about is a French play by Marcel Pagnol.

Laffite--

The two Yves Robert movies follow Pagnol's memoirs very well about Marseille and Garlaban. I fell in love with all the characters particularly Oncle Jules. I honestly felt that the second book--Le Château de Ma Mère was much weaker so the film was much weaker. I brought the CD soundtrack of the movie in Paris. Vladimir Cosma wrote that Beautiful music. I believe he did a lot of movies for Yves Robert.

I never cared much for Fanny. We had to read Topaz in high school French class.

They've made American and French movies of that play, but I haven't seen either one.

The two Manon movies are truly magnificent cinema by Claude Berri with the best actors France or any country had to offer in the latter part of the twentieth century.

Talking about Marseille, I'm a big fan of Fernandel movies. They show them all the time on television in France. I love his music too. He did some collaborations with Pagnol. I wouldn't say Fernandel's Cinema was great, but it's exceedingly heart rendering and entertaining.

Chacun à son goût.

Hi Princess, just to be clear and forgive me for inferring that you might not know the following, but for the record I wasn't referring to the Fanny of ca.1959 with Boyer, Chevalier, and Co, but rather the 1930s trilogy of films based on the two plays Marius and Fanny by Pagnol, as well as the later one, Cesar, which Pagnol wrote directly for the screen to finish the long continuing story that makes up the trilogy. I would recommend those. They were once shown on TCM and once available on Netflix but I think they have become hard to find. It's not surprising that there are affinities with the two memoirs and the three plays since after all they were all penned by the same guy, but I mention to bolster my opinion that anyone who enjoyed either of these groups of films would probably like the other group. The two groups are far apart in time but the essence of Pagnol's voice and sensibilities are present in both, so much so IMO that a poignancy is achieved.

My mother loved Fernandel.

Merci

Hi Princess, just to be clear and forgive me for inferring that you might not know the following, but for the record I wasn't referring to the Fanny of ca.1959 with Boyer, Chevalier, and Co, but rather the 1930s trilogy of films based on the two plays Marius and Fanny by Pagnol, as well as the later one, Cesar, which Pagnol wrote directly for the screen to finish the long continuing story that makes up the trilogy. I would recommend those. They were once shown on TCM and once available on Netflix but I think they have become hard to find. It's not surprising that there are affinities with the two memoirs and the three plays since after all they were all penned by the same guy, but I mention to bolster my opinion that anyone who enjoyed either of these groups of films would probably like the other group. The two groups are far apart in time but the essence of Pagnol's voice and sensibilities are present in both, so much so IMO that a poignancy is achieved.

My mother loved Fernandel.

Merci

I don't like any of those Fanny movies-- I said it in general because I meant that about all of them. I have access or had access to a lot of French DVDs so I've seen them on DVD and I didn't like them. I may have gotten some of them in a private video store, or maybe I got them through the public library on Criterion.

You may like this-- When I went to Borders to buy those two Memoir books by Pagnol, they were priced higher than his other books of a similar size.

PS-- Your mother had good taste. Have you seen any of those Fernandel movies?

A bientôt

I don't like any of those Fanny movies-- I said it in general because I meant that about all of them. I have access or had access to a lot of French DVDs so I've seen them on DVD and I didn't like them. I may have gotten some of them in a private video store, or maybe I got them through the public library on Criterion.

You may like this-- When I went to Borders to buy those two Memoir books by Pagnol, they were priced higher than his other books of a similar size.

PS-- Your mother had good taste. Have you seen any of those Fernandel movies?

A bientôt

I haven's seen any for ages. Save one a couple of years ago. Despite that wonderful face and what he can do with it, I didn't find him at all funny, to my surprise. I don't have the title and since I am not presently doing Netf I am unable to check. I would be interested to know your reaction. I may look at a list of his movies and see if I can recognize the title.

Princess - I have seen Brother. If you look below at my original list of favorite Japanese films of the past 25 years, it's in there. I enjoyed it, and much more than I expected, since I was afraid it would be a "watered down" version of Beat's purely Japanese films. 

I'm also surprised to hear you didn't care for the Fanny trilogy. I loved them, and found them very charming, and I'm not someone who often finds things charming. I've been collecting together copies of my favorite films from throughout the years to have an epic film festival sometime in the future, and unfortunately the Fanny trilogy is a big gap in my 30's section. The old Kino set of DVD's have gone out of print, and the third-party market is ridiculously overpriced. 

• Like 1

I haven's seen any for ages. Save one a couple of years ago. Despite that wonderful face and what he can do with it, I didn't find him at all funny, to my surprise. I don't have the title and since I am not presently doing Netf I am unable to check. I would be interested to know your reaction. I may look at a list of his movies and see if I can recognize the title.

EDIT: Let me add something this way, the above did not post correctly, etc.

Fernandel was a salesman and a large part in the early going consisted of visits to would-be clients with running gags that left me cold. This is from memory. I looked at the filmography but did not recognized the title. Gosh, I didn't realize he made so many pictures and as late as the 60s no less. Given this, I am wondering why he doesn't pop up more. He seems forgotten. I would like to investigate further if I can find some of his films.

Princess - I have seen Brother. If you look below at my original list of favorite Japanese films of the past 25 years, it's in there. I enjoyed it, and much more than I expected, since I was afraid it would be a "watered down" version of Beat's purely Japanese films. 

I'm also surprised to hear you didn't care for the Fanny trilogy. I loved them, and found them very charming, and I'm not someone who often finds things charming. I've been collecting together copies of my favorite films from throughout the years to have an epic film festival sometime in the future, and unfortunately the Fanny trilogy is a big gap in my 30's section. The old Kino set of DVD's have gone out of print, and the third-party market is ridiculously overpriced. 

I was surprised too, it's like someone saying they don't like ice cream.

;)

But Princess, you did say "Chacun a son gout" and I respect that. Look at me, not liking that Fernandel film, etc. ... ...

Lawrence, I VHSed the trilogy when it aired on TCM. That kind of copy may not satisfy serious collectors, but they're watchable.

:)

• Like 1

Lawrence, I VHSed the trilogy when it aired on TCM. That kind of copy may not satisfy serious collectors, but they're watchable.

I have a handful of films that I've only been able to get by taping from TCM. Maybe they'll play the Fanny trilogy again before I'm ready for my big film fest, and I'll grab them that way.

I enjoy the Fanny trilogy. But I have not seen them in a long time.