Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bernie Sanders Is Beating Kamala Harris 2-1 Among Black Democratic Primary Voters, New Poll Finds

"........There appears to be a strong class element at play in the finding. The same poll found that the demographics Sanders is least popular with — at 19 and 17 percent, respectively — are Democrats who make more than $100,000 per year and Democrats who have post-graduate degrees (two qualities that typically, if not always, overlap). Because of structural wealth and income gaps, that population is heavily white.

Sanders, meanwhile, receives his strongest support support from those making less than $50,000 — a group that is, for the same reasons, much more diverse. The poll found that 30 percent of those with the lowest incomes backed Sanders..........

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/06/bernie-sanders-black-voters-2020/

:unsure:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...

In a Thursday appearance on “The Daily Show,” Sanders finally named an actual date when he’ll release his returns.

“April 15 is coming. That will be the 10th year and we will make them all public very shortly,” Sanders said.

“I’m delighted to do that, proud to do that. Hey Mr. Trump, you do the same thing.”.........

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/05/bernie-sanders-tax-returns/

5 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

In a Thursday appearance on “The Daily Show,” Sanders finally named an actual date when he’ll release his returns.

“April 15 is coming. That will be the 10th year and we will make them all public very shortly,” Sanders said.

“I’m delighted to do that, proud to do that. Hey Mr. Trump, you do the same thing.”.........

https://theintercept.com/2019/04/05/bernie-sanders-tax-returns/

"....Many Democrats believe that to beat Trump next fall, the party has to pick a nominee who provides a stark contrast to Trump on virtually every issue -- including transparency. And that's simply not where Sanders is at the moment.
"Among the candidates still in the race, Sanders' releases are less extensive than anybody's but Donald Trump," wrote PolitiFact's Louis Jacobson back in April 2016. "He's only released information for one year, which pales compared to most other recent presidential candidates, and even that year's release only includes a summary page, not the full return."....

40 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Bernie is done.  He needs to recognize that and pick one of the other candidates to back - or even better, just disappear.

Yeah, he was done last time too and he dragged it out. I expect that to also happen this time. Even if he doesn't get the nomination (almost certain), he will still drag it out as much as he can. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah, he was done last time too and he dragged it out. I expect that to also happen this time. Even if he doesn't get the nomination (almost certain), he will still drag it out as much as he can. 

If Sanders isn't one of the leading 2 candidates after super-Tuesday,  I believe he will drop out IF one of the leading two candidates is running mostly on his 2016 platform (and of course back that candidate).     

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

If Sanders isn't one of the leading 2 candidates after super-Tuesday,  I believe he will drop out IF one of the leading two candidates is running mostly on his 2016 platform (and of course back that candidate).     

I agree if that is the case but I highly doubt a Social Democrat will get the nomination. I can just see him flailing around like last time if O'Rourke or Biden is chosen. 

2 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I agree if that is the case but I highly doubt a Social Democrat will get the nomination. I can just see him flailing around like last time if O'Rourke or Biden is chosen. 

Are there any actual Social Democrats that have joined the contest other than Sanders?    Anyhow,  I wasn't referring specificity to an official SD,  but instead to candidates like Harris that have adopted many of Sanders' 2016 ideas like free-college,  Medicare-for-all,   etc...

But yea,  if O'Rourke or Biden are the leading candidates Sanders will stay on.

11 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Are there any actual Social Democrats that have joined the contest other than Sanders?    Anyhow,  I wasn't referring specificity to an official SD,  but instead to candidates like Harris that have adopted many of Sanders' 2016 ideas like free-college,  Medicare-for-all,   etc...

But yea,  if O'Rourke or Biden are the leading candidates Sanders will stay on.

In my opinion, it appears all except Biden and Klobuchar are social democrats at heart or have at least adopted the SD program.  Not that sure about O'Rourke as he really is hard to pin down.

Kenneth P. VogelVerified account @kenvogel

NEW: In a warning shot to the Democratic establishment & its allies,

@BernieSanders accuses the CLINTON-linked @AmProg & its sister org @CAPAction of smearing him & other progressive Democratic presidential candidates.

Sanders addressed the board of the Center for American Progress and CAP Action Fund on Saturday, alleging that its activities are playing a "destructive role" in the "critical mission to defeat Donald Trump."

Sanders cited two posts about him by ThinkProgress, a website run by CAP's political arm, and past pieces focused on Sens. Elizabeth Warren and Cory Booker.

"This … needs to stop," he writes.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/5839898-Bernie-Sanders-Letter-Accusing-CAP-of.html

Bernie SandersVerified account @SenSanders Apr 10

If every major country on the planet can guarantee health care to all and achieve better health outcomes, while spending less per capita, please do not tell us that the United States of America cannot do the same. If we were to pass #MedicareForAll tomorrow, lives would be saved.

It's simple: No deductibles, no surprise bills for out-of-network services, and no copays. And if you change jobs, no changing insurance plans or worrying about losing the coverage that you and your family depend on.

6 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

If every major country on the planet can guarantee health care to all and achieve better health outcomes, while spending less per capita, please do not tell us that the United States of America cannot do the same. If we were to pass #MedicareForAll tomorrow, lives would be saved.

It's simple: No deductibles, no surprise bills for out-of-network services, and no copays. And if you change jobs, no changing insurance plans or worrying about losing the coverage that you and your family depend on.

So Bernie why did your party (well, when you're running for President) pass the highly complex and flawed ACA if MedicareForAll is so simple? 

15 hours ago, mr6666 said:

The answer is the one that Sanders intentionally keeps avoiding.  How do you pay for it?  It would require a substantial tax increase for the middle class and workers.  Not to mention the potential financial disaster for the insurance and health industries.  While I am no fan of these, many people's pensions, IRA's, 401(k)'s etc. are heavily vested in health and insurance industry.

As I noted in some other threads, the Congressional Budget Office is contemplating drastic reductions in benefits for disabled veterans and military retirees.  These are very small groups compared to the vast number covered by Medicare-For-All.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

The answer is the one that Sanders intentionally keeps avoiding.  How do you pay for it?  It would require a substantial tax increase for the middle class and workers.  Not to mention the potential financial disaster for the insurance and health industries.  While I am no fan of these, many people's pensions, IRA's, 401(k)'s etc. are heavily vested in health and insurance industry.

As I noted in some other threads, the Congressional Budget Office is contemplating drastic reductions in benefits for disabled veterans and military retirees.  These are very small groups compared to the vast number covered by Medicare-For-All.

Medicare-For-All would be payed for by a payroll tax;  if the amount taken for a person to cover themselves and their family is less than what that person pays today for a private health insurance plan, than that would be a good plan.     As studies have shown the amount should be less because no private for-profit insurance companies.

So to me the issue is how coverage is paid for by those NOT subject to a payroll tax;   But isn't that the same issue with the ACA and ALL other ideas?     Where do the funds come from to cover those that can't pay a premium or Medicare-For-All tax or any to little Fed taxes.  

Medicare-For-All doesn't make finding funds for those that don't earn income (or enough of one) a worst problem for the overall US healthcare system. 

On 4/5/2019 at 6:37 PM, mr6666 said:

POLITICOVerified account @politico 8h8 hours ago

"It gives me no pleasure to tell you that we have a president today who is a racist. Who is a sexist. Who is a homophobe. Who is a xenophobe. And who is a religious bigot.

I wish I did not have to say that, but that is the damn truth," Bernie Sanders said at #NANConv2019

it is also true on the last nite of his failed 2016 campaign he did exclaim that "Donald Trump will never be president".

:D

Sanders really bombed at the town hall. The hosts should have pressed him when he said stuff like "common sense immigration reform." Also he didn't really answer the healthcare in Vermont question. That said, seeing him criticize Saudi Arabia and AIPAC and their involvement in our foreign policy was really good.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Medicare-For-All would be payed for by a payroll tax;  if the amount taken for a person to cover themselves and their family is less than what that person pays today for a private health insurance plan, than that would be a good plan.     As studies have shown the amount should be less because no private for-profit insurance companies.

So to me the issue is how coverage is paid for by those NOT subject to a payroll tax;   But isn't that the same issue with the ACA and ALL other ideas?     Where do the funds come from to cover those that can't pay a premium or Medicare-For-All tax or any to little Fed taxes.  

Medicare-For-All doesn't make finding funds for those that don't earn income (or enough of one) a worst problem for the overall US healthcare system. 

First, the amount paid through payroll tax would have to be less than current employee and employer payments.  Actually I have not seen where MFA is supposed to be paid by employee and employer.  Maybe I missed it.  Assuming both pay in future, the amount the government requires to fully fund MFA is probably far, far, far more than current employee and employer payments combined.  As you alluded to about non-covered now. Remember, Bernie said MFA is no co-pay, no cost sharing at all, no exclusions, etc.

That still leaves the 800 lb. gorilla - everybody else, which is the vast majority of people in US.  As you noted.  There is no definitive, verifiable plan for how to actually solve that.  Remember, one problem with ACA is that the funding targets were never realized.

There may be studies showing that MFA will have lower costs than current health care system due to elimination of profits.  However, I am not so sure about that.  In addition, Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE and other federal "insurance" programs generally contract out for administration, so the profit motive is still there to a great extent.

Federal insurance also has it's "gotchas" that cost people lots of money.  One example is that if you go to something such as physical therapy over a period of weeks or longer, it may be months before Medicare informs you that it wasn't covered.  Private insurance companies would generally react far quicker than that.

"Medicare-For-All doesn't make finding funds for those that don't earn income (or enough of one) a worst problem for the overall US healthcare system."  I'm a little confused by this comment, but seems to me that is the primary issue.  It does make finding funding a problem that has to be resolved.  If not, why even have this discussion?