Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darkblue

Bernie Sanders!

They do this in England and in many other countries.

And it is heavily subsidised by the government.

And it is heavily subsidised by the government.

In 2013 Royal Mail went on the London Stock Exchange so this is just not the case.  They also brought in the former head of Canada Post to run Royal Mail.  

The share price rose 38% on the first day of issue.  A very good buy.

• Like 1

In 2013 Royal Mail went on the London Stock Exchange so this is just not the case.  They also brought in the former head of Canada Post to run Royal Mail.  

The share price rose 38% on the first day of issue.  A very good buy.

Stand corrected.  Appartently the government had grossly undervalued the value of the Royal Mail.

Will be ineresting to see how this all works out in the long run as to cost to use the mail and full delivery services.

Interesting aside.  I receive a lot of stuff that starts off with one of the private corporate delivery firms, but is delivered to me by the USPS.  The private corp. delivers it to a major USPS point and then leaves it up to USPS to get it to me.

Still believe a banking services from USPS would be problematical and not an answer to the "problem" Bernie cited. 

"Postal unions and civil rights groups are among other advocacy organizations, along with the U.S. Postal Service inspector general, pushing USPS to expand into banking. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), a Democratic presidential hopeful, agrees. But USPS, which could use the business, has no interest...

Meanwhile, a coalition of civil rights organizations are fighting two of President Obama’s nominees to the USPS Board of Governors, one of whom has ties to the payday industry.

"we are especially troubled by the nominations of Mickey D. Barnett, who has previously worked as a lobbyist for the payday lending industry, and of James C. Miller, III, who dating back at least to his tenure as director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget (OMB) from 1985-88, has strongly supported privatizing the Postal Service.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/federal-eye/wp/2015/10/29/should-the-post-office-also-be-a-bank/

• Like 1

3509e343d1b3a3dc70a145d930263b7d.jpg

If it had not been for the great Hollywood director John Ford, John Wayne would not have had a living.

The Genius John Ford took a USC football player named Marion Morrison and made him the centerpiece of his films.

Prior to that Wayne, AKA Morrison, had been rejected by the US Naval Academy. So I guess Wayne/Morrison never was going to have a real military career, only one on the back lot of a movie studio.

Who knows how much greater John Ford's films would have been if he had chosen a real actor like Gregory Peck or Richard Widmark, instead of a US Naval Academy reject named Marion Morrison.

• Like 2

This is about a Bernie Sanders bumper sticker. I didn't start another thread because people have said there are already too many threads about Bernie Sanders.

But coming home today from the grocery store, a car in front of me had a bumper sticker that I just couldn't ignore - -

( I'm going to get censored for this but I have to show you exactly what the bumper sticker looked like or you wouldn't believe me.)

Bernie '16

Because **** this ****

Yeah, I looked at that twice because the car was right in front of me and it was a red light. I'm not ashamed to say that might be the sort of thing that I might say in private--but on a bumper sticker? I don't think I'm quite that open minded, not in Toto land anyway.

But it was a great hoot-- and since I don't have any kids, I don't have to worry about trying to explain something like that to children. After all, that sort of thing never bothered my Yorkshire Terrier.

Edited by TCMModerator1
Edited for language
  • Like 3

If it had not been for the great Hollywood director John Ford, John Wayne would not have had a living.

The Genius John Ford took a USC football player named Marion Morrison and made him the centerpiece of his films.

Prior to that Wayne, AKA Morrison, had been rejected by the US Naval Academy. So I guess Wayne/Morrison never was going to have a real military career, only one on the back lot of a movie studio.

Who knows how much greater John Ford's films would have been if he had chosen a real actor like Gregory Peck or Richard Widmark, instead of a US Naval Academy reject named Marion Morrison.

exactly, wayne weren't no scholastic pinwheel but yet he was smart enough not to apologize for anybody.

so he was askin' what's the excuse of the well-educated for dismissin' worthless behavior.

peck was discovered when he was a theater usher and kirk douglas was jerkin' sodas so come on.

"at least I tried dammit. at least I did that much." -jack nicholson, one flew over the cuckoo's nest.

:D

so what next for bernie?

well, I'll tell ya...he's gonna sell out!

why? three reasons....

1. his supporters are hyper-ideological fools

2  sanders was a phony to begin with

3. he's gotta get to work on those chairs for himself and his brood in the hillary box

they might even give him some speech podium time so he can tell his supporters how wonderful he now thinks hillary is.

wait for it.

:lol:

exactly, wayne weren't no scholastic pinwheel but yet he was smart enough not to apologize for anybody.

so he was askin' what's the excuse of the well-educated for dismissin' worthless behavior.

peck was discovered when he was a theater usher and kirk douglas was jerkin' sodas so come on.

John Wayne WAS a "scholastic pinwheel". He attended USC, and liked to remind people that he was a college-educated person, and not the dummy he came across as sometimes. So Wayne was a millionaire college-educated political activist...you know, one of the little people.

John Wayne WAS a "scholastic pinwheel". He attended USC, and liked to remind people that he was a college-educated person, and not the dummy he came across as sometimes. So Wayne was a millionaire college-educated political activist...you know, one of the little people.

but wayne never forgot the little people or filled his mind with contempt and disdain for them. :)

but wayne never forgot the little people or filled his mind with contempt and disdain for them. :)

case in point, it is well-known that at some point paul newman stopped signing autographs...

up until his final film The Shootist john wayne never refused his fans his signature.

• Like 1

but wayne never forgot the little people or filled his mind with contempt and disdain for them. 

You often mention what other people are thinking, what their secret motivations are, what their minds are filled with. How do you come across this information? Are you psychic? Or do you decide what other people feel and think based on your expert analysis of humanity? You mention your beliefs, and then state that the "average person" or that "most Americans" feels the same way. What makes you think you are not in the minority with your beliefs? What makes you the "average person" and not me, or someone else that doesn't exactly agree with your belief set?

You often mention what other people are thinking, what their secret motivations are, what their minds are filled with. How do you come across this information? Are you psychic? Or do you decide what other people feel and think based on your expert analysis of humanity? You mention your beliefs, and then state that the "average person" or that "most Americans" feels the same way. What makes you think you are not in the minority with your beliefs? What makes you the "average person" and not me, or someone else that doesn't exactly agree with your belief set?

I've read many a post here where americans with conservative views are cast in the most negative ways with nefarious motives attached.

tell me, before president obama switched his position on same-sex marriage from opposory to supportive was he a homophobe too?

no, because you of the left knew or at least suspected he was being dishonest for reasons of political expediency.

I myself doan attribute the activism of the left to trash the moral standards of the past 500 years of western culture to evilness or malign intentions but just misguided thinking...just as you on the left might believe the conservative-minded are misguided.

America has always stood for freedom of thought and opinion.

conservatives merely believe in the time-tested sanity of established moral standards.

we doan necessarily believe you can trek on into the future by completely dissing the past and everything that went with it.

the trick of course is to glean the bad from the good as opposed to the arbitrary edicts of a few while they are in power.

"is murder then a right reserved only for that hated nation?" -captain nemo (mason)

I read many a post here where americans with conservative views are cast in the most negative ways with nefarious motives attached.

tell me, before president obama switched his position on same-sex marriage from opposory to supportive was he a homophobe too?

no, because you of the left knew he was being dishonest for reasons of political expediency.

"is murder then a right reserved only for that hated nation?" -captain nemo (masdon)

That didn't answer my question at all (not that you're obligated to!). I asked how you know what other people think and feel "secretly", and also why your beliefs are those of the "average American" and not mine.

That didn't answer my question at all (not that you're obligated to!). I asked how you know what other people think and feel "secretly", and also why your beliefs are those of the "average American" and not mine.

come on, LawrenceA, surely alotta posters here make educated guesses about what the reasons are for opposing views.

because for MOST of this country's 240-year history we have been a predominately white european culture-reflected society.

that is simply the way it has been.

And alotta conservatives doan completely buy the story that at the heart of progressivism's desire to reshape american society is social justice or altruism...

but a petty mean-spirited desire to stick it to white americans for injustices that no living white american had anything to do with.

and that is neither right or fair.

people should not be called bigoted simply for complaining about views they doan agree with. :D

come on, LawrenceA, surely alotta posters here make educated guesses about what the reasons are for opposing views.

because for MOST of this country's 240-year history we have been a predominately white european culture-reflected society.

that is simply the way it has been.

And alotta conservatives doan completely buy the story that at the heart of progressivism's desire to reshape american society is social justice or altruism...

but a petty mean-spirited desire to stick it to white americans for injustices that no living white american had anything to do with.

and that is neither right or fair.

people should not be called bigoted simply for complaining about views they doan agree with. 

So, again, you are assigning motivations that you FEEL to be true, not on actual truth. 

Name one or two things that have been done that "stick it to the white man". Be specific.

If I said I didn't like you because you are white, or because you were heterosexual, or because you were Christian, then that would be bigoted. If I said you could not get married because you are heterosexual, would that be right? If I said you should be stopped and exposed to extra scrutiny by police because you were white, would that be right? If I said you should be denied safehaven in the US because you were a Christian, would that be right? Of course not. And the same holds true for homosexuals, non-whites, and non-Christians. If you don't believe that, then that may be why people call you bigoted.

• Like 1

Sanders will likely do what most pols in his position do--

keep on keepin' on, do the best you can, and then

graciously accept defeat and throw your support,

whether sincerely or not, to the winning candidate.

That's pretty much what the runner up does, it's

pretty much what Clinton did in 2008.

You'd kind of expect some things to change in the

course of 200 years. It would be rather strange

if they didn't. I enjoy it sometimes when "they"

stick it to the white man, and I'm a white man

myself. :)

Not a big Kirk Douglas fan, but he wasn't discovered

when he was a soda jerk. He came up through the

theater and broke into movies from there, apparently

with the help of Lauren Bacall.

So, again, you are assigning motivations that you FEEL to be true, not on actual truth. 

Name one or two things that have been done that "stick it to the white man". Be specific.

If I said I didn't like you because you are white, or because you were heterosexual, or because you were Christian, then that would be bigoted. If I said you could not get married because you are heterosexual, would that be right? If I said you should be stopped and exposed to extra scrutiny by police because you were white, would that be right? If I said you should be denied safehaven in the US because you were a Christian, would that be right? Of course not. And the same holds true for homosexuals, non-whites, and non-Christians. If you don't believe that, then that may be why people call you bigoted.

I believe that a changing country's majority has the prerogative to advocate their new societal standards even at the cost and jeopardy of the old.

what I object to, LawrenceA, is the pushers of the new standards claiming they're not disrespecting the old...

because that is lyin' dishonest BS.

they are and they know it. :)

• Like 2

but you must know that most violent urban street crimes are committed predominately by african-americans.

not exclusively but mostly.

ferguson and baltimore confirm that.

cite the last major example of white citizenry rioting in a major american city.

Nip-- in Ferguson and Baltimore it was the police who were killing people.

In Kansas we have an epidemic of white people killing police and each other because they're involved with meth.

Nip-- in Ferguson and Baltimore it was the police who were killing people.

In Kansas we have an epidemic of white people killing police and each other because they're involved with meth.

and yet....

white people en masse doan riot. :D

but you must know that most violent urban street crimes are committed predominately by african-americans.

not exclusively but mostly.

ferguson and baltimore confirm that.

cite the last major example of white citizenry rioting in a major american city.

You're right. Black people riot when their kids get killed by cops. White people riot when their sports team wins a game. 

As for most violent crime being committed by non-whites...who lives in the greatest poverty? And who are the victims of these crimes, predominantly? Other non-whites. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that the majority of arrests made are of white people.

But again, since you look at things first through a racial filter, that's bigotry. You didn't say what income their families had (blame the poor) where they lived (blame the North/South) how educated they are (blame the poorly educated), you went for race.

Edit: I'm glad I took longer to write my response, therefore preserving your original response before you went back and rewrote the whole thing. :D

double edit: I also notice you failed to list any specific way "they" have "stuck it to the white man". 

• Like 3

You're right. Black people riot when their kids get killed by cops. White people riot when their sports team wins a game. 

As for most violent crime being committed by non-whites...who lives in the greatest poverty? And who are the victims of these crimes, predominantly? Other non-whites. Of course, this is ignoring the fact that the majority of arrests made are of white people.

But again, since you look at things first through a racial filter, that's bigotry. You didn't say what income their families had (blame the poor) where they lived (blame the North/South) how educated they are (blame the poorly educated), you went for race.

Edit: I'm glad I took longer to write my response, therefore preserving your original response before you went back and rewrote the whole thing. :D

double edit: I also notice you failed to list any specific way "they" have "stuck it to the white man". 

man oh man, the american left has been sticking it to the white man ever since all in the family debuted on CBS back in '71.

I've been watchin' TV! :) 

man oh man, the american left has been sticking it to the white man ever since all in the family debuted on CBS back in '71.

I've been watchin' TV! 

So your one example of "sticking it to the white man" is a TV show from 45 years ago? And taking into account that you feel this show was an attack on the white man, then in your opinion Archie Bunker is representative of all white men? Speak for yourself, chief. Archie Bunker was a caricature of small-mindedness and bigotry. He was not meant to stand in for all white men. If that's how you saw it, then that's on you and your own sense of victimization. 

• Like 3

So your one example of "sticking it to the white man" is a TV show from 45 years ago? And taking into account that you feel this show was an attack on the white man, then in your opinion Archie Bunker is representative of all white men? Speak for yourself, chief. Archie Bunker was a caricature of small-mindedness and bigotry. He was not meant to stand in for all white men. If that's how you saw it, then that's on you and your own sense of victimization. 

I just watched the Dick Cavett show and Carroll O'Connor was the guest.   It was very interesting.    He said that some folks complained that Archie wasn't bigoted (mean, evil) enough.   i.e. that the show humanized a racist.    O'Connor said this was true but Lear and the writers felt this was a better way of telling the story verses having Archie be like a Hitler.    Archie is troubled and misguided but not an inherently evil man and this was the type of bigot the show wanted to explore since this was the all too common type found in the nation.      

• Like 3