Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite movie entrances and exits

Every movie has moments in which you see a character for the first time and the last time. But some entrances and exits are unforgettable. Here are a couple of my favorites. What are yours?

1. Favorite entrance: Harry Lime (Orson Welles) in "The Third Man" (1949):

During the first hour or so of Sir Carol Reed's screen version of the Graham Greene novel about post-World War II Vienna, the notorious black marketeer Lime is only talked about. In fact, he is believed to be dead -- which greatly saddens his friend, the American writer Holly Martins (Joseph Cotten). But all of a sudden, Martins gets a nighttime glimpse of the smiling, enigmatic figure -- and it's only a glimpse. Seconds later, Lime disappears into the darkness.

the-third-man_harry-lime-first-view.jpg

Welles as Harry Lime

2. Favorite exit: U.S. Air Force Major T.J. "King" Kong (Slim Pickens) in "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (1964):

Writer-director Lawrence Kasdan ("Body Heat," "The Big Chill") called it "one of the three or four most famous images in American movies." Near the end of Stanley Kubrick's black comedy about mutually assured destruction, an Air Force B-52 bomber prepares to nuke sites in the Soviet Union. But when the first bomb -- nicknamed Hi There! -- fails to dislodge, Major Kong decides to take a hands-on approach to the problem. The Texan ends up riding the bomb to glory as if it was a bucking bronco.

• Like 6

One favorite?  Impossible.

Entrances:  First one that came to mind is opening scene of the young Jane Eyre (Peggy Ann Garner) in Jane Eyre (1944).  Another is Jimmy Cagney in Angels With Dirty Faces.

Exits:  Jimmy Cagney in White Heat, his Cody Jarrett is unforgettable.  Also, Orson Welles in Citizen Kane, where his 'exit' occurs at his introduction of the movie for me.

• Like 3

Jane Greer  (Kathie Moffat) makes both a memorable entrance  and exit in OUT OF THE PAST.  As glad as I was to first see her (as was Mitchum), I was equally glad to see her go (unfortunately Mitchum had go with her)  :)

My favorite entrance is: Cary Grant as: Philip Adams in: Indiscreet (1958). He has very discreetly penetrated her apartment but has stopped at edge of foyer as any true gentleman would. He is framed by elegant arch as the music swells.

My second-favorite entrance is: 

He is such a cute little thing! :)
  • Like 1

I'll mention some not yet mentioned.

ENTRANCES:

Ned Glass, James Coburn and George Kennedy in Charade during Charlie's funeral

Billie Burke in The Wizard of Oz

Charles Laughton in The Hunchback of Notre Dame

William Powell in The Thin Man

Myrna Loy and Asta in The Thin man

Laurence Olivier in Wuthering Heights, all grown up

EXITS:

in order: George Kennedy, Ned Glass, James Coburn, and Walter Matthau in Charade

Claude Rains and Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca

Margaret Hamilton in The Wizard of Oz

Alan Ladd in Shane

Entrance-- Fred Astaire reading a newspaper in Top Hat

Scarlett O'Hara descending the staircase at The Barbeque.

Myrna Loy and Asta in the Thin Man

Exit - - Bogart and Rains at the end of Casablanca

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers exit dancing the Piccolino into the night and into film history in Top Hat*** my heart beats so that I can hardly speak!

• Like 2

One favorite?  Impossible.

Perhaps you're right. I just thought of a memorable entrance and exit from the same movie -- Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" (1958). NOTE: I'm trying my best here not to spoil key plotlines for those who have never seen the film.

1. The entrance: When private detective Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart) spots Judy Barton (Kim Novak) on a San Francisco street, he realizes she's the spitting image of a recently lost love. Naturally, he's compelled to meet her and transform her into the other woman.

vertigo3.jpg

2. The exit: Scottie finds out the truth about Judy, but then loses her in the worst way possible.

kim-novak-as-madeleine-elster-judy-barto

• Like 2

Perhaps you're right. I just thought of a memorable entrance and exit from the same movie -- Alfred Hitchcock's "Vertigo" (1958). NOTE: I'm trying my best here not to spoil key plotlines for those who have never seen the film.

1. The entrance: When private detective Scottie Ferguson (James Stewart) spots Judy Barton (Kim Novak) on a San Francisco street, he realizes she's the spitting image of a recently lost love. Naturally, he's compelled to meet her and transform her into the other woman.

vertigo3.jpg

2. The exit: Scottie finds out the truth about Judy, but then loses her in the worst way possible.

kim-novak-as-madeleine-elster-judy-barto

Can a girl from Salina, Kansas find happiness in San Francisco?

• Like 1

I'd have to agree on Harry Lime & *"The Godfather"

As for "Exits" for me it's of course the legendary finale of *"Casablanca" with close runners-up in "City Lights" & "Modern Times"

(P.S. Also, *"The Great: Tracy's" arrival as John J. McCreedy in "Black Rock" for "Entrances")

4 star images of Kim Novak by the way!

A few I negelected to include-(there seems to be a lot more tremendous exits, than entrances in motion picture history)

Who can ever forget *De Niro in "Raging Bull" (l980) for both

& to easily include(for "Exits"):  *Tracy in "C. Courageous" (l937),  John Wayne in "The Searchers" (l956), Garbo's legendary grande finale in 1933's "Queen Christina"   Natalie Wood as Deanie in "Splendor in the Grass" (l96l),

& *Cagney had the market cornered many times: "Angels With Dirty Faces" (l938), "The Roaring Twenties" (l939) & of course "White Heat" (l949)

& who can ever forget: "Kong" & "E.T."

I've noticed several mentions of the final scene in "Casablanca," but how about some love for Ilsa Lund's entrance? It's a noteworthy segment of the movie because until she shows up, Rick is totally in control of his café -- and his world. Her appearance from out of the blue absolutely throws him for a loop.

• Like 2