Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Favorite movie entrances and exits

tumblr_nqz80vhjVq1uyth69o5_400.jpg

From "Suddenly, Last Summer" (1959): The first time we see Katharine Hepburn's wealthy Southern widow, she's descending in a chair elevator. And we don't know anything about her. At the end of the movie, she ascends in the same elevator. And we know more than we really want to know about her.

I love Bette in Jezebel. She comes to the back entrance of the big plantation house on horseback. The horse neighs nervously and seems a little skittish. Bette dismounts with a fair flourish, says a few words to her greeter, wheels around, raises her many skirts off the ground with her riding whip, and struts into the interior. Nice.

• Like 1

It occurs to me that King Kong deserves double credit in this thread.

1. The entrance: Who could ever forget watching the Skull Islanders shut their gates and bang a gong, inviting Kong to collect his sacrificial lamb? As a child, I didn't know what was coming. Thank goodness, it fascinated me!

tumblr_njul4dpgEh1r70le6o4_500.gif

2. The exit: You can never say that Kong didn't go out like a champ! KUDOS FOR INCLUDING "KONG"

king-kong-111.jpg

Along w/"Kong" *Cagney had the most legendary exits & *Tracy also had a phenomenal one in "Captains Courageous"

& his entrance in "Black Rock" was powerful as well

*Brando in the beginning of *"The Godfather"

& *Chaplin in 2 all-timers "C. Lights" & "Modern Times"

For some reason, this reminded me of------

GRAHAM CHAPMAN'S entrance as KING ARTHUR in

MONTY PYTHON and THE HOLY GRAIL

Being followed by TERRY GILLIAM as his servant clapping two coconut halves together to simulate hoofbeats!  :D

& don't forget *Connery's epic finale in "The Man Who Would Be King"

Sepiatone

Also Garbo in 1933's "Queen Christina" (MGM) for another grand finale!

& of course *"The Duke'S' last shot in *Ford's Western "The Searchers" A tribute to *Ford hero Harry Carey, Sr.

David Wooderson (Matthew McConaughey) entering the poolroom with Randall "Pink" Floyd (Jason London) and Mitch Kramer (Wiley Wiggins) in Dazed and Confused (1993). The song playing is Bob Dylan's Hurricane.

20283_1214355594112_400_300.jpg

• Like 1

It didn't hurt that it was the first time many of us had ever seen Kenneth Branagh on film, and it was the first commercial-audience Shakespeare we'd had in fifteen years, but we still would have been cowed by that entrance even without it:

• 4 years later...

So here I was, thinking I was so clever coming up with a neat topic:  Great movie entrances (separating exits to increase the thread count).  Now maybe I coulda got away withit, but I thought, "I wonder what's been said about entrances before. . .?"  A quick search and--bummer.  A whole thread about it.  And one I even contributed to, too!  Dag.  Well, there are others I can come up with.  But first we'll reprise my favorite:

Here's about the biggest I can think of:

• Like 1

A lot of great ones have been mentioned. If I may submit my own...

Entrance: Gale Sondergaard coming through the beaded curtain to the ethereal tune of glass Chinese wind chimes in The Letter.

Exit: Olivia de Havilland going up the stairs in The Heiress.

I'm assuming somebody has already mentioned Rhett disappearing into the fog in GWTW? Almost too obvious to note.

Faye Dunaway in The Thomas Crown Affair (1968):

One of the great entrances in movies. It sets the tone for this, the most stylish of all heist movies--and maybe of all movies. It shows Vickie as sophisticated, smart, powerful, in possession and control of her life and sexuality. The last of which she does not hesitate to use as a tool in her work. Chic, mod, trig, she has large appetites for experience, risk and men, and is unashamed of any.

• Like 1

Exit:
For some reason, now matter how awful the movie was, I still have a fondness for Chevy Chase trying to feign/bluff "coolness" after two hours of comic chaos, by walking out of Goldie Hawn's life in Seems Like Old Times (1978) whistling the "The High & the Mighty" theme.  (Am I remembering the right movie?)

At that age, there was a lot I could learn from that.  😁

On 5/10/2016 at 3:37 PM, jakeem said:

2. The exit: You can never say that Kong didn't go out like a champ!

king-kong-111.jpg

I was so upset by King Kong's exit when I was 5 years old, that whenever we watched it my father had to rewind the tape for me just so he'd be alive again. 

On 12/21/2020 at 11:17 PM, slaytonf said:

Faye Dunaway in The Thomas Crown Affair (1968):

One of the great entrances in movies. It sets the tone for this, the most stylish of all heist movies--and maybe of all movies. It shows Vickie as sophisticated, smart, powerful, in possession and control of her life and sexuality. The last of which she does not hesitate to use as a tool in her work. Chic, mod, trig, she has large appetites for experience, risk and men, and is unashamed of any.

Her exit shows how fall she has fallen. 

His exit is perfect. He is demonstrating his complete dominance by quietly sipping a drink in a luxury setting.

This is my all-time favorite movie because it works on so many different levels. My sole quibble is that it is beyond the limits of suspension of belief that any woman would chose not to run away with Steve McQueen and several million dollars.

3 hours ago, SansFin said:

Her exit shows how fall she has fallen. 

His exit is perfect. He is demonstrating his complete dominance by quietly sipping a drink in a luxury setting.

This is my all-time favorite movie because it works on so many different levels. My sole quibble is that it is beyond the limits of suspension of belief that any woman would chose not to run away with Steve McQueen and several million dollars.

She has principles, sorta...