Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Supernatural and the Spiritual

"SOMEWHERE IN TIME" MAJOR SPOILER HERE:

Yes, he was a playwright.  He is backstage when he meets an old woman who pleads with him to "return" to her.  He doesn't understand.  Later he finds a portrait of a woman from the 1800s and falls in love with her.  He researches the woman's life and ways he could go back in time to be with her.  Eventually he locks himself in a room and keeps repeating to himself that he is back in time... almost like mantras, and then he eventually does meet up with her (to make this "plausible", again, it takes him a very long time, and a lot of effort, to actually break through that time barrier.) 

The way that he is very unwillingly pulled back to the present was pretty ingenious, I thought...

The old woman at the beginning of the movie and the woman in the portrait are the same person.

Eh.....I TRIED that.

It don't work.  :(

It's STILL 2016! :angry:  

Anyway, I thought some professor somewhere told him how to do it.  I only watched the movie initially because I'm a Michigander, and it has some fine shots of Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel in it.

Sepiatone

Eh.....I TRIED that.

It don't work.  :(

It's STILL 2016! :angry:  

Anyway, I thought some professor somewhere told him how to do it.  I only watched the movie initially because I'm a Michigander, and it has some fine shots of Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel in it.

Sepiatone

That's right, yes, he talked to (his?) professor.

I know, boy, with all the technological progress we've accomplished, no one has yet figured out how to travel back in time!  It may hit a crisis point in November... ;)

• Like 1

I have only seen this film one time on television and those who know me know how shaky I am on the details. But, wasn't this about a writer? Fantasizing about an earlier time and living it in his imagination -or is it real? I could totally buy into that. But the self-hypnosis part (was that right?) ...

So, when I see these moments of past meets present on some realm of time and space, the one that totally leaves me in a puddle of tears and enlightenment is the closing scene of Field of Dreams. For me, the less explained or contrived, the better.

I just saw FIELD OF DREAMS this past week; it leaves me totally emotional. The fact that my dad had played minor league baseball in Mexico, and that he died when I was 7, reasonates strongly when I view FOD.

He is actually the reason my brothers and I got exposure to musicals, other than THE WIZARD OF OZ. His favorite movie was DAMN YANKEES (another movie worth mentioning in this thread), and he had us watch it whenever it came on tv. Coincidentally, the ball player protagonist in both movies is named "Shoeless Joe" (DY has the song "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, MO")......or, as.per the premise of FIELD OF DREAMS, maybe not so conicidental. Hmmm.....

• Like 6

Update:  THE LOTTERY starred Dan Cortese who was in "Veronica's Closet" and it was a tv movie from 1996:

I don't really think anything ever "starred" Dan Cortese so much as "the camera is pointed at him for most of the duration of whatever you're about to watch."

• Like 1

I just saw FIELD OF DREAMS this past week; it leaves me totally emotional. The fact that my dad had played minor league baseball in Mexico, and that he died when I was 7, reasonates strongly when I view FOD.

He is actually the reason my brothers and I got exposure to musicals, other than THE WIZARD OF OZ. His favorite movie was DAMN YANKEES (another movie worth mentioning in this thread), and he had us watch it whenever it came on tv. Coincidentally, the ball player protagonist in both movies is named "Shoeless Joe" (DY has the song "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal, MO")......or, as.per the premise of FIELD OF DREAMS, maybe not so conicidental. Hmmm.....

That is just "WOW"   Thank you for telling us.  I have been to Dyersville IA, at the Field of Dreams and it does seem magical.  

Driving home tonight I thought of one that is about as opposite as the current suggestions, but a touch of the spiritual realm nonetheless--

GHOSTBUSTERS 

proton-packs-ghostbusters-1984.jpg

• Like 3

"SOMEWHERE IN TIME" MAJOR SPOILER HERE:

Thanks for that Eugenia. I saw the movie in a theater with my friend (& business partner no less) He was so moved by it, he got some car-azy idear from the movie, that WE were somehow "linked in time"!

I was aghast and hated that movie from that moment on. He'd have piano players play the "theme" when we'd eat out....I wanted to discuss contracts, lol. Enough time has passed that I should revisit that movie. Maybe I'll actually like it now, haha.

• Like 4

GPF. I remember seeing a tv version of that tale. It might have been on PBS, not sure.

I do remember it starred a really cute guy, who used to be on that show with Kirstie Alley I think. Let me find his name on IMDB.

Update: It starred Dan Cortese who was in "Veronica's Closet" and it was a tv movie from 1996:

The Lottery

On his deathbed in the hospital, Jason's father asks that his ashes be spread over the top of his wife's grave. Jason, who came to the city with his father at a young age, remembers little ...See full summary »
Director:  Daniel Sackheim
Writers:  Shirley Jackson (short story), Anthony Spinner(television story) | 1 more credit »

Thanks for checking this up for me, CaveGirl.  I have read The lottery and thought it would make a great screenplay.

I will keep it in mind.

......Director Martin Scorsese placed The Innocents on his list of the 11 scariest horror films of all time.[8]

Well then, I'm in good company. Marty and I are like that. B)

(Sorry, Lorna, you posted all that interesting info about the film and I deleted it all out except for that one sentence. But I did read your entire post with great interest.)

THE HAUNTING OF M (1981)  Directed by Anna Thomas.  If you like movies that create an air of supernatural and spiritual suspense with no blood, guts, nudity or cuss words this is the movie for you. 

I've seen it twice and I'd gladly watch it again once I get my VCR fixed.

I may have missed mention of the two  I'm about to cite, but I've been reading this thread pretty carefully and I don't think either film has been discussed yet here.

To wit: The Others (in Spanish, "Los Otros"), 2001, directed by Alejandro Amenabar, starring Nicole Kidman.  A very weird and eerie ghost story, which keeps you guessing and wondering every moment; truly chilling and strange.

The Sixth Sense: This is the one I'm really surprised has not been mentioned yet. I know a lot of people have decided they hate the director, M. Night Shyamalan, apparently because of subsequent films he's made. But whatever you think of his later work (and I think he's been unfairly denigrated), shirley you have to admire The Sixth Sense. It came out in 1999 and starred Bruce Willis in a bit of a role change for him.

I don't want to say anything further about either of these movies, due to not wanting to give anything away, but I think they're both excellent contenders for the hall of fame of scary, supernatural, and unnerving movies. Both make you think and pay attention every step of the way, both give you chills, and both are genuine ghost stories.

• Like 3

THE HAUNTING OF M (1981) Directed by Anna Thomas. If you like movies that create an air of supernatural and spiritual suspense with no blood, guts, nudity or cuss words this is the movie for you.

Ooh, that sounds like one for me! ;)

(Well, I'm not that prudish, but I have a low threshold for gore...)

I'm still waiting for The Innocents to come in the mail via classicflix.com, and I'm looking forward to checking it out. I haven't read all the posts about this movie on this thread in detail; I want to be surprised.

I know a lot of people have decided they hate the director, M. Night Shyamalan, apparently because of subsequent films he's made. But whatever you think of his later work (and I think he's been unfairly denigrated), shirley you have to admire The Sixth Sense.

I don't know why people hate him either. I like his movies-he takes chances and sometimes they don't work, but sometimes they do. 

SIXTH SENSE MAJOR SPOILER-if you haven't seen it - DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!(

So I thought the Tiki family could enjoy a fun movie together. We had just been to one of the "locations" of the movie so I wanted to watch it. We were all curled up on MrT's huge couch....enjoying the story and in the scene where the boy is telling the Willis charactor "I see dead people", TikiKid blurts out, "well then, if he sees him...Bruce Willis must be dead, right?"

MrT & I looked at each other in horror, then burst out laughing. It totally ruined watching the movie.

Well then, I'm in good company. Marty and I are like that. B)

(Sorry, Lorna, you posted all that interesting info about the film and I deleted it all out except for that one sentence. But I did read your entire post with great interest.)

well that's okay- none of the info in the second part was mine, it was all copied and pasted from wikipedia (and as such, who the hell knows it to be true? but it was interesting.)

i went to see THE SIXTH SENSE with my parents in the theater in 1999. I knew going in there was supposed to be a "twist"; i figured it out halfway through and leaned over to both my parents and told them.

i like ruining things for people.

the film, to me, is built so heavily around that twist, you have to step back and ask "what else is there to it?"- from my recollection at least, the acting is very, very good- not just from the (deservingly) Oscar-nominated mother and son; but also in the perpetually underrated Bruce Willis, who one of these days might finally get nominated if he plays an AIDS patient or someone with hoof-and-mouth disease or a transexual refugee or something equally "baity."

A few years later, I saw THE OTHERS in the theater too, and again- I pretty much figured out what the twist was going to be; but that film is not so dependent on the "surprise" end- even knowing what it was and not being surprised did nothing to detract from the excellent acting and direction and the better story.

forgive me also, i have not seen all of M. Night Shyamalan's follow-ups to SIXTH SENSE, but I have seen enough of them to know he probably couldn't direct a lemming off a cliff.

seriously, I saw SIGNS on an airplane flight and was restrained by the crew for trying to pry open the emergency exit.

• Like 4

The Sixth Sense: This is the one I'm really surprised has not been mentioned yet. I know a lot of people have decided they hate the director, M. Night Shyamalan, apparently because of subsequent films he's made. But whatever you think of his later work (and I think he's been unfairly denigrated), shirley you have to admire The Sixth Sense. It came out in 1999 and starred Bruce Willis in a bit of a role change for him.

I love The Sixth Sense, suspenseful, eerie, emotionally involving, fooled me completely with that twist ending, with some beautiful performances, including that of the frequently massively underrated Mr. Bruce Willis.

BUT (!), away back in 1999, when I was debating one day about which film to see at the show, I boiled it down to two, and made the HUGH, HUGE, HUGE (!!!) mistake of choosing The Blair Witch Project OVER The Sixth Sense.

I was bored and irritated by Blair Witch, kept waiting for something to happen in it other than jerky hand held camera movements and closeups of dripping nostrils, and left the theatre cursing myself for having succumbed to all the hype that that amateur production had received. (And with a friend who had said, "What a ripoff!" when the film ended).

The Sixth Sense, which later thrilled me when i saw it on video tape, would have been a wonderful film to have have seen for the first time on the big screen. I can almost image the loud murmurs there must have been in the theatre with the twist ending.

Sorry, end of diatribe. But every time I hear the names Sixth Sense or Blair Witch I think back to my dumb decision making those many years ago.

• Like 2

Sorry, end of diatribe. But every time I hear the names Sixth Sense or Blair Witch I think back to my dumb decision making those many years ago.

Oddly enough, Tom, I saw those same two films back to back in the theater one night back in '99. I saw Blair Witch and hated it, so decided to see Sixth Sense to try and save the evening, which it did, for me anyway.

Oddly enough, Tom, I saw those same two films back to back in the theater one night back in '99. I saw Blair Witch and hated it, so decided to see Sixth Sense to try and save the evening, which it did, for me anyway.

Now you showed the brains, Lawrence (at the end of your evening anyway) that I clearly lacked. Sixth Sense must have been great on the big screen. I hope you didn't already know the twist ending in advance. Great film.

Thank you Eugenia for starting a thread we all can talk about civilly without pretense.

I've been trying to watch all M. Night Shyamalan's movies. I like the stories & subjects he chooses. I was uncomfortable with WOMAN IN THE WATER only because of my personal fear of drowning. Otherwise...well I remember liking it, but don't remember anything about it.

Oh and I just LOVE Bruce Willis, I'm glad others like him too. I hate his choice of movies most of the time, so SIXTH SENSE was welcome. I first fell in love with him in MOONLIGHTING and absolutely think I was first attracted to my husband because of his slight resemblance to Bruce Willis. (dum bass)

• Like 1

M. Night is a director I would like to like, if that makes sense, but he seems to be his own worst enemy when it comes to self-indulgence and an unfortunate streak of self-importance. The Sixth Sense was a phenomenally good film, even after the big twist is known, and seemed to herald a major new talent. (We won't go into his first couple of minor films). Unbreakable was next, and it was ahead of its time by trying to deconstruct the superhero genre and place it into a real world setting. It has a cult following, but I thought it was a bit too self-serious. Next was Signs, which was very good until the finale, where things got a little too far-fetched, even for a genre film. I was excited for The Village, and it's ad campaign that kept things teasingly vague. The resulting film was half-baked, with a story that limped to its conclusion. Bryce Dallas Howard was very good in the lead, though. Lady in the Water was where he really started to lose me, not least because he cast himself as the savior of the film, and used the script to attack the critics that had bashed his last few efforts. It came across as solipsistic and juvenile. The Happening  was so ridiculous, that he later claimed that it was intended to be camp, even though he failed to mention that during the lead up to its release. It has since become a frequently cited punchline and source for internet memes, thanks to the full-throttle vacuousness of the lead performances by Mark Wahlberg and Zooey Deschanel. 

I haven't seen The Last Airbender, mainly due to my lack of interest in the source material. It was also a resounding dud with audiences. After Earth was also panned both by critics and by audiences, although I didn't hate it as much as they seem to. I liked the attempt at creating a new rhythm in everyday speech, an attempt I haven't seen much since A Clockwork Orange. However, I still felt the film was far removed from The Sixth Sense, and one viewing was enough for me. Finally, last year's The Visit was M. Night's stab at a "Found footage" film, meaning everything was video shot by one of the characters, even though it often stretches credibility past the breaking point to explain why these characters would continue taping under such conditions. I thought the film was awful, and the "twist" was apparent from the first 10 minutes of the film.

M. Night has a new one due next year. Maybe he'll find his mojo again. But it looks less likely with each film.

• Like 1

He spent a lot of time making that television series tarring Matt Dillon who was very standoffish compared to his stand in.  A lot of the series was filmed near where I lived and I have to say, the director walked by me several times and I had no interest in trying to meet him.  I was supposed to be an extra in the pilot episode and a lot was filmed  in the scenes where I was supposed to be walking down the street.  When I saw the pilot episode and the extremely brief and in the far distance from the camera any extras could be seen, I was glad that I had not been available to do further episodes.

I did watch the first half of the series.  But then I got bored with it half way through, because again, this is the problem with that director.

I guessed The Sixth Sense ending part way through just like with The Others.

Signs was okay.

Thank you Eugenia for starting a thread we all can talk about civilly without pretense.

I've been trying to watch all M. Night Shyamalan's movies. I like the stories & subjects he chooses. I was uncomfortable with WOMAN IN THE WATER only because of my personal fear of drowning. Otherwise...well I remember liking it, but don't remember anything about it.

Oh and I just LOVE Bruce Willis, I'm glad others like him too. I hate his choice of movies most of the time, so SIXTH SENSE was welcome. I first fell in love with him in MOONLIGHTING and absolutely think I was first attracted to my husband because of his slight resemblance to Bruce Willis. (dum bass)

You're welcome.  And I so appreciate all the great suggestions made here.  I need to start thinking more of other supernatural/spiritual movies to talk about.  I'm also glad that so far the thread hasn't been completely derailed by other subjects, to the point of no return, as sometimes happens.

I adore Bruce Willis, but I have not seen "The Sixth Sense".  I really need to make a point of watching it.  And as for your being attracted to your husband because of his slight resemblance to that good-looker, no sane woman could blame ya!

Has "Rosemary's Baby" been mentioned yet?  I'm assuming it has...

• Like 1

I believe Rosemary's Baby has been mentioned, Eugenia.

I have yet to see it. I know John Cassavetes  is in it so I would like to see it eventually.

Rosemary's Baby is a film that has grown on me over time. I didn't much care for it the first time around, as I found Mia Farrow insufferable and the story was very basic. I always thought of it as a supernatural horror film for people who don't like supernatural horror films. The performances by the supporting cast, from Ruth Gordon to Ralph Bellamy and Charles Grodin and Sidney Blackmer and Maurice Evans, are all terrific. Cassavetes doesn't really bring much to his role, although to be fair, the role doesn't call for a lot. And it "legitimized" horror films for the next decade, and lead to other A list horrors like The Exorcist and The Omen

• Like 3

Here's a title that makes me slap my forehead (as in, "Why didn't I think of this one"?)  ...The Shining.

I probably don't have to write a complete synopsis for most regular posters here, but briefly, a family spends a winter at a hotel where a ghost incites the writer father into deranged behavior, and the writer's son has a lot of psychic premonitions.  The legendary Jack Nicholson stars in this all-time classic.  If you feel like losing a night's sleep, or need a reason to reach for the nearest teddy bear, run, don't walk, to watch this movie!

• Like 1