Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Supernatural and the Spiritual

this may be somewhat neither here nor there, but i can't think of a movie that affected me so hard i actually had nightmares about it...i have various shark-related dreams periodically, but believe it or not, none of them are "nightmares"- actually I've had a couple of recurring dreams, and i swear i am being totally on-the-level here, where they have released JAWS 5 or done a remake of JAWS 3-D and I have enjoyed "watching" them in my head.

(full disclosure, as a small child i fell madly in love with JAWS 3-D, and I have seen it WAY MORE TIMES THAN ANY SANE PERSON EVER SHOULD.)

That said, I have read one book which was powerful enough to give me nightmares, and that was DRACULA, something that I am sure would've touched Bram Stoker greatly. When people discuss DRACULA, they mention the wolves and the bats, BUT THEY DON'T MENTION THE RATS, which is the animal that I think STOKER relies on most heavily for personifying evil. there is a scene where the men go to Carfax Abbey to kill Dracula and are overcome by HOARDS OF RATS. For real- I had a nightmare about the scene that night.

sorry if this is off-topic, i am super bored at work today.

I also ******* hate rats.

• Like 2

this may be somewhat neither here nor there, but i can't think of a movie that affected me so hard i actually had nightmares about it...i have various shark-related dreams periodically, but believe it or not, none of them are "nightmares"- actually I've had a couple of recurring dreams, and i swear i am being totally on-the-level where they have released JAWS 5 or done a remake of JAWS 3-D and I have enjoyed "watching" them in my head.

(full disclosure, as a small child i fell madly in love with JAWS 3-D, and I have seen it WAY MORE TIMES THAN ANY SANE PERSON EVER SHOULD.)

That said, I have read one book which was powerful enough to give me nightmares, and that was DRACULA, something that I am sure would've touched Bram Stoker greatly. When people discuss DRACULA, they mention the wolves and the bats, BUT THEY DON'T MENTION THE RATS, which is the animal that I think STOKER relies on most heavily for personifying evil. there is a scene where the men go to Carfax Abbey to kill Dracula and are overcome by HOARDS OF RATS. For real- I had a nightmare about the scene that night.

sorry if this is off-topic, i am super bored at work today.

I have never been able to watch either Dracula (1931) or Nosferatu although I have tried several times.  They freak me out.

You should watch Willard, Ben, Of Unknown Origin, Nightmares, and  Graveyard Shift, all in a marathon session.

Face your fears and over come them.

You face them for me.

Fear is a healthy emotion.

again, off-topic, but i was hanging out playing cards in a garage with some super straight buddies of mine some time ago, a very macho kind of atmosphere and a rat ran across a ceiling beam in front of us and I swear to God, I screamed and it sounded just like Fay Wray....or Ned Flanders...

• Like 4

You face them for me.

Fear is a healthy emotion.

again, off-topic, but i was hanging out playing cards in a garage with some super straight buddies of mine some time ago, a very macho kind of atmosphere and a rat ran across a ceiling beam in front of us and I swear to God, I screamed and it sounded just like Fay Wray....or Ned Flanders...

Fear is a healthy emotion is you do not get in a panic.  I agree. It is what gets you out of a burning building when the alarm goes off.  I have fear of large spiders.  I don't need to get over this fear as they are poisonous.

However, if I were claustrophobic and lived in New York City, I would have to get over it because I am not walking up huge flights of stairs.  I am taking the elevator.

When I'm under tremendous stress I dream of rats, usually a blanket of them chasing me (when I was much younger, I would dream of tornadoes).

Hate rats, hate them!!  I used to play with gerbils and mice in my girlhood, but those days are long gone.

(ahem)

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!"

I've spent a fair amount of time in India, which has its share of rats.  My worst experience ever was when a friend standing near me reached into a laundry basket that had been in storage, and a rat suddenly leaped out and got out through a window.  And we were in a very clean building/area.  I'll tell you, I ran away so fast that if I were in the Olympics, I'd be polishing my gold medal right now.

• Like 2

I've spent a fair amount of time in India, which has its fair share of rats.  My worst experience ever was when a friend standing near me reached into a laundry basket that had been in storage, and a rat suddenly leaped out and got out via the window.  I'll tell you, I ran away so fast that if I were in the Olympics, I'd be polishing my gold medal right now.

Yeah, there's a temple in India where they worship rats and no one can kill them.

I saw about a minute of a NatGeo special on it and had to change the channel when they showed a gleeful little five year old boy with rats crawling all over him.

As a person, I really try not to cast aspersions on the faiths of others, but seriously: what the Hell, India?

As a person, I really try not to cast aspersions on the faiths of others, but seriously: what the Hell, India?

Maybe that's the reason why I'm not enlightened yet - I'm not willing to at least make friends with the rats. ;)

Another supernatural tale (not involving rats, alas) is The Picture of Dorian Gray, about a man who sells his soul to the Devil in exchange for eternal youth.  This is a movie I haven't seen in a while but is worth checking out again.

2ajb05k.jpg

• Like 1

I have not yet seen any of the franchise Aliens. I am familiar with the scene where something comes out of stomachs, but I have not watched the movies.

While none of the Alien films are supernatural, the first 2 are classics, the third and fourth have some interesting bits, and the Alien/Predator mash-ups are awful.

The first film is suspenseful, well acted, well directed by Ridley Scott, and plays the most like a fright film.

The second film, from James Cameron, is more action-oriented, and transports an old-fashioned military squad into SF creature feature territory. It's one of the most influential movies of the 1980's, as there have been countless variations since, with some films lifting whole sections and repeating them. The score, as well, has proven to be inspirational to others.

The third film is grimmer, set in a dirty claustrophobic prison, and it's the hardest to like. It was the first feature directed by David Fincher, who has gone on to great things. The behind the scenes turmoil on this one was legendary, with much tinkering and reshooting.

The fourth film, from French director Jean-Pierre Jeunet (Amelie, Delicatessen) is odd, with more comedy than the others, and a script by Joss Whedon that's like a rough draft of his future cult TV show Firefly. The film doesn't quite work, but there's enough weirdness to warrant a viewing.

• Like 2

Ben most people would turn you away;
I don't listen to a word they say.
They don't see you as I do;
I wish they would try to'
I'm sure they'd think again if they had a friend like Ben,
A friend like Ben
(Like Ben)
Like Ben

• Like 2

LMREO.  I can remember those old mouse repellent ads with women screaming standing on chairs..... :D

It was slightly less dignified than that.

(ps- to be fair, they really should have had some men in those ads, because I am hear to tell you, there are some hardcore guys out there who share my feelings with regard to the rodent kingdom.)

• Like 1

Another supernatural tale (not involving rats, alas) is The Picture of Dorian Gray, about a man who sells his soul to the Devil in exchange for eternal youth.  This is a movie I haven't seen in a while but is worth checking out again.

actually, it's not really specific exactly what happens in DORIAN GREY, which is what makes it so interesting- the one element of Dorian's eternal youth is highly supernatural- its origins never explained- the rest of the story is grounded in reality (in fact, quite harshly so) and i don't think the Wilde novella or the film really get into the specifics of just what in the Hell (or other places) went down with just WHY Dorian never aged but the Picture did...

The Devil specifically doesn't show up, although George Sanders might give the impression of devilry, there's a wish cast without a thought in front of an Egyptian cat statue, and that's about as much exposition on the mystical elements as we get.

so unless you think cats= the devil, i'm not sure you can really bring The Horned Prince into this thing (much as i generally like to.)

• Like 1

actually, it's not really specific exactly what happens in DORIAN GREY, which is what makes it so interesting- the one element of Dorian's eternal youth is highly supernatural- its origins never explained- the rest of the story is grounded in reality (in fact, quite harshly so) and i don't think the Wilde novella or the film really get into the specifics of just what in the Hell (or other places) went down with just WHY Dorian never aged but the Picture did...

The Devil specifically doesn't show up, although George Sanders might give the impression of devilry, there's a wish cast without a thought in front of an Egyptian cat statue, and that's about as much exposition on the mystical elements as we get.

so unless you think cats= the devil, i'm not sure you can really bring The Horned Prince into this thing (much as i generally like to.)

Yes, I remember a lot about the cat and the mirror and I know some people are quite harmful to black cats especially around Halloween so you are not allowed to adopt a black cat from a shelter in October in most places.

2ajb05k.jpg

Ugh thanks for reminding me....I'm off to our trip to Milwaukee/Chicago/Louisville and have decided to forego seeing this painting in the Art Museum of Chicago. I've always wanted to see it, but it would bore MrTiki & the kid.....wah!

I love GHOSTBREAKERS...haunted houses & sideshow hokum are my favorite sub-genres. While I think the aforementioned SHINING falls into "horror"due to the actual killing, it DOES have the spirituality piece of "possession" and ghosts.

johnnywalks_004.gif

Ah Johnny Eck....I want to visit his home & grave in Baltimore. One of my email signatures: "Embrace your differences-no one remembers Robert Eckhart" (Johnny Eck's twin brother)

• Like 3

I meant to respond to this earlier - my oopsie.  Thanks, Lorna!  :)

Yes, I remember a lot about the cat and the mirror and I know some people are quite harmful to black cats especially around Halloween so you are not allowed to adopt a black cat from a shelter in October in most places.

I've never heard of any undue harm done to black cats specifically around Halloween.  That seems an odd thing to do, but given that too many people lately seem to take Halloween MUCH too seriously( especially for GROWN-UPS), it shouldn't surprise me.

I suppose as one who thinks cats are OK as pets and has no objections to them, and I find lame the excuse that NOT liking them is due to some people saying "they're sneaky" ,  (whatever THAT'S supposed to mean)  and even IF I didn't like cats for whatever reason, undue cruelty to ANY animal is uncalled for.  I mean, if I didn't like cats, I'd merely just leave 'em alone and not bother with them.

About the most negative thing I can say about cats is in the form of a joke.  I'll state it in this forum  being aware there are some in this forum who seem not to understand when someone is being facetious and attempt to needlessly disarm some sort of percieved "situation" with self righteous indignation...

but the gag about cats is something my animal loving daughter( her of the ELLY MAE CLAMPETT tendencies) had on a T-shirt:

"Cats don't have owners.....They have STAFF"

As one who used to breed cats, I can't say enough about just HOW TRUE that is!

Sepiatone

• Like 2

I've never heard of any undue harm done to black cats specifically around Halloween.  That seems an odd thing to do, but given that too many people lately seem to take Halloween MUCH too seriously( especially for GROWN-UPS), it shouldn't surprise me.

I suppose as one who thinks cats are OK as pets and has no objections to them, and I find lame the excuse that NOT liking them is due to some people saying "they're sneaky" ,  (whatever THAT'S supposed to mean)  and even IF I didn't like cats for whatever reason, undue cruelty to ANY animal is uncalled for.  I mean, if I didn't like cats, I'd merely just leave 'em alone and not bother with them.

About the most negative thing I can say about cats is in the form of a joke.  I'll state it in this forum  being aware there are some in this forum who seem not to understand when someone is being facetious and attempt to needlessly disarm some sort of percieved "situation" with self righteous indignation...

but the gag about cats is something my animal loving daughter( her of the ELLY MAE CLAMPETT tendencies) had on a T-shirt:

"Cats don't have owners.....They have STAFF"

As one who used to breed cats, I can't say enough about just HOW TRUE that is!

Sepiatone

What you say is true sepia.

But I got my orange cat from a shelter and they told everyone that this is standard procedure in October "just in case'