Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hollywoods Most Difficult Stars!

spence

This is a topic that's well known-(by those cited below) & well-known/cross-referenced,etc & some listed by now, are already well-known for being either among "The Most Hated & or Difficult Stars"

& not just of "Hollywoods Glorious Golden Age/Studio-System"-(circa 1925 to 1960) & or recent & current era. & not just "Gossip' of which I hate, BIG-TIME!

Tallulah Bankhead (l903-l968)-(she's even part of Hollywood lore), *Wallace Beery-(l885-l949-(very well documented by many in that glorious era)-(P.S. & to someone who may have also heard of this item, online & even in a few books, in recent years only. *Beery, has recently been rumored to be involved in the beating death of: Ted Healy-(l896-l937) I don't know why, because all insist he started a brawl w/two sailors inside the bar & it went out into an alley?

& Ted Healy, well-known to be loaded most of the time & Shemp Howard-(l895-l955) of "The Three Stooges" really had the biggest problems w/Healy, especially when they were gonna' to Hollywood, from the stage in 1933. Many cite this was the main reason as to why Shemp left the trio & younger brother Curly-(l903-52) took his place? At any rate, Healy was always said to be a problem while working on the rew flix he did make.

*Brian Donlevy-(l898-l973)-(especially during shooting of 1939's great "Beau Geste"-(in which he deservedly earned his sole *Oscar nod), Joe Besser-(l907-88)-(even his fellow "Stooges' Moe & Larry had problems w/him. Unfortunately Besser was the only one present when they got their "WOF-STAR" in 1988), Constance-(& not to be confused with sister Joan) Bennett, Otto Preminger, Erich Von Stroheim-(l885-l957), Gloria Swanson-(l893-l983), Mae West-(l893-l980) & W.C. Fields-(l879-l946), Diana Ross-(l942-), Pernell Roberts-(l929-)-(even refusaed once to have his picture taken for a "TV Guide cover" unless, he was photographed alone & without "Bonanza" co-stars: Lorne Greene, Michael Landon & Dick Blocker), & even my top #2 Idols & Heroes: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(l900-67) and *"Chairman of the Board: Frank Sinatra'-(l9l5-98) have detractors!

Also, in recent years> Shelley Long-(l949-)-(just ask "Cheers" co-star Woody Harrelson, for starters), Teri Hatcher-(though a stunningly "Beautiful Lady!"), *"The Great Kate, as in Hepburn"-(l907-2003)-(has a few detractors in her day that worked w/her, though nowhere in same league as a Bankhead & others)

& who recalls that great "Pvt. screenings" interview with: Mickey Rooney-(l920-94)? Where Mr. 0sborne was a bit taken' back as "The Mick" told the story of him vs. director Roy Rowland, while filming a 1947 boxing drama. & apparently, Rowland started the rumor of Rooney also being "Difficult"

Who knows, when it's only 1 or even 2 reports though?

Please chime-in & mostly about that ongoing story of *Wally Beery?

THANK YOU!

This is a topic that's well known-(by those cited below) & well-known/cross-referenced,etc & some listed by now, are already well-known for being either among "The Most Hated & or Difficult Stars"

& not just of "Hollywoods Glorious Golden Age/Studio-System"-(circa 1925 to 1960) & or recent & current era. & not just "Gossip' of which I hate, BIG-TIME!

Tallulah Bankhead (l903-l968)-(she's even part of Hollywood lore), *Wallace Beery-(l885-l949-(very well documented by many in that glorious era)-(P.S. & to someone who may have also heard of this item, online & even in a few books, in recent years only. *Beery, has recently been rumored to be involved in the beating death of: Ted Healy-(l896-l937) I don't know why, because all insist he started a brawl w/two sailors inside the bar & it went out into an alley?

& Ted Healy, well-known to be loaded most of the time & Shemp Howard-(l895-l955) of "The Three Stooges" really had the biggest problems w/Healy, especially when they were gonna' to Hollywood, from the stage in 1933. Many cite this was the main reason as to why Shemp left the trio & younger brother Curly-(l903-52) took his place? At any rate, Healy was always said to be a problem while working on the rew flix he did make.

*Brian Donlevy-(l898-l973)-(especially during shooting of 1939's great "Beau Geste"-(in which he deservedly earned his sole *Oscar nod), Joe Besser-(l907-88)-(even his fellow "Stooges' Moe & Larry had problems w/him. Unfortunately Besser was the only one present when they got their "WOF-STAR" in 1988), Constance-(& not to be confused with sister Joan) Bennett, Otto Preminger, Erich Von Stroheim-(l885-l957), Gloria Swanson-(l893-l983), Mae West-(l893-l980) & W.C. Fields-(l879-l946), Diana Ross-(l942-), Pernell Roberts-(l929-)-(even refusaed once to have his picture taken for a "TV Guide cover" unless, he was photographed alone & without "Bonanza" co-stars: Lorne Greene, Michael Landon & Dick Blocker), & even my top #2 Idols & Heroes: *"The Great: Spencer Tracy"-(l900-67) and *"Chairman of the Board: Frank Sinatra'-(l9l5-98) have detractors!

Also, in recent years> Shelley Long-(l949-)-(just ask "Cheers" co-star Woody Harrelson, for starters), Teri Hatcher-(though a stunningly "Beautiful Lady!"), *"The Great Kate, as in Hepburn"-(l907-2003)-(has a few detractors in her day that worked w/her, though nowhere in same league as a Bankhead & others)

& who recalls that great "Pvt. screenings" interview with: Mickey Rooney-(l920-94)? Where Mr. 0sborne was a bit taken' back as "The Mick" told the story of him vs. director Roy Rowland, while filming a 1947 boxing drama. & apparently, Rowland started the rumor of Rooney also being "Difficult"

THANK YOU!

Susan Hayward, Bette Davis, Paul Muni, Warren Beatty

As far as Wallace Beery is concerned, there were reminiscences from, among others, Jackie Cooper and Marjorie Main to indicate that he was more than a trial.

I never read any comment about what it was like to work with him from Marie Dressler. Who knows, maybe she really did enjoy giving him that beating in Min and Bill.

The story of his involvement in the beating death of Ted Healy (along with Cubby Broccoli and Thelma Todd's ex, Pat DiCicco) are very much an ongoing Hollywood urban legend. Somewhere I read that, coincidence or not, immediately after Healy's 1937 death Beery took an unexpected and lengthy European vacation. Orders to get out of town until things cooled down by Eddie Mannix and the MGM fixers?

Ironically, Healy was beaten behind the Trocadero, and two years prior his death, the Trocadero was the same nightclub that Thelma Todd had visited on the night of her mysterious death (with former hubby DiCicco seeing her there that evening).

• Like 1

Kathryn Grayson refused to work with Mario Lanza after costarring with him in his first two films.  Working with Lanza was such a trial that Doretta Murrow (his costar in 1952's "Because You're Mine") threw away a Hollywood career and returned to Broadway.  Joan Fontaine (a prize witch according to some costars) was scared of him when they filmed "Serenade" (1956).  

• Like 1

THANK YOU!

yeah, pernell roberts was a real bleep. he didn't like his bonanza character adam cartwright calling lorne greene's character 'pa'.

roberts couldn't buy his character referring to a paternal parent as 'pa'.

didn't the schtootz understand he was doing a TV western?

well, he found his niche, trapper john and vino. :D

This story gets more bizarre as years go by. The way I heard it was that Cubby Broccoli, the original James Bond producer, was also present and involved in the murder.

Berry has a bad rep. I once attended a public interview with Gloria Swanson. And she said that Beery raped her on their wedding night. And then forced her to have an abortion. Has anybody ever said anything good about Wallace Beery?

This story gets more bizarre as years go by. The way I heard it was that Cubby Broccoli, the original James Bond producer, was also present and involved in the murder.

Berry has a bad rep. I once attended a public interview with Gloria Swanson. And she said that Beery raped her on their wedding night. And then forced her to have an abortion. Has anybody ever said anything good about Wallace Beery?

I was always creeped out by the story of Beery adopting a young girl who was then never heard of again!

• Like 1

I've heard that Beery was awful, Jane Powell admitted in an interview that she didn't like him and that he was a kleptomaniac, but I didn't know he was that awful. 

Supposedly, Harrison was hated by many of his co-stars. Several family members of Carole Landis, who had an affair with Rex Harrison, allege that she didn't commit suicide but was murdered by Harrison. I don't now if it's true but it certainly inspires the imagination. 

Somebody mentioned Susan Hayward. I've never heard a kind word about her. She sounded like a real piece of work. Before Leo and Kate Winslet started begging for Oscars, she was doing it incredibly belligerently according to colleagues. Many speculate that she won for I Want to Live because she harangued really hard for it (I personally would have given it to Roz Russell for Auntie Mame). Watching Susan Hayward movies, she always seemed hateful on screen. She does well at conveying hard, brittle women but I never found her convincing when her character had to have a softer change of heart. 

As much as Sexy Rexy had a bad reputation with women, Carole Landis' sex life with men and women had long been out of control, as well as her emotional life.

She lived to be only 29 but she was married four times, twice to one man.

Her affair with Busby Berkeley led to a lawsuit and her affair with 20th Century Fox's Darryl F Zanuck probably gave her a career, though Berkeley started it.

And of course, she was involved with Joan Crawford's lawyer-lover Greg Bautzer because she had to have a lawyer, didn't she?

To add insult to injury, she was a deliberate copy of Carole Lombard and became one of Clark Gable mistresses, along with Lana Turner,during his marriage to Carole Lombard.

To Finish it all, she's was the inspiration for Valley of the Dolls because she had an affair with Jacqueline Susann during a Broadway show, that they both appeared in.

Carole Landis was pathetic and sad before Rex Harrison ever met her. Her friends said she had a self-destructive streak.

I'll go with Tony Franciosa.

I think he admits that he was a bit of a terror on set, and blamed it on getting famous too young.

Which resulted in him often not getting parts from then on, in spite of his looks, charm and altogether fetching personality on screen.

I'll go with Tony Franciosa.

I think he admits that he was a bit of a terror on set, and blamed it on getting famous too young.

Which resulted in him often not getting parts from then on, in spite of his looks, charm and altogether fetching personality on screen.

Just think what he would have been like if he had gotten REALLY famous.

When RO did a Private Screenings with Child Stars, Darryl Hickman said he was very kind to him. Which was really weird, but that was his experience with the guy.

I've heard that Veronica Lake was difficult to work with but I'm not sure why.

I had read that Fredric March couldn't stand working with her during the filming of "I Married A Witch". After Joel McCrea starred with her in "Sullivan's Travels" he vowed never to work with her again.

Audrey Hepburn on Sabrina according to Bogart.     Well to be fair he said she was fine to work with if one like doing take after take.   (she would either forget of flub her lines).

I think he had it in for her because he wanted Lauren Bacall to play the role.

I think he had it in for her because he wanted Lauren Bacall to play the role.

I believe others on the set have confirmed Audrey required a lot of takes.  Hey she was very young and fairly inexperienced.   Holden didn't care because he had other things in mind as it relates to Audrey. 

• Like 1

I believe others on the set have confirmed Audrey required a lot of takes.  Hey she was very young and fairly inexperienced.   Holden didn't care because he had other things in mind as it relates to Audrey. 

Marilyn Monroe required a lot of takes too.  Depending upon the co-star, they either put up with it without saying anything, or they made a big hassle about it.  Others loved her regardless like George Chakiris when they made Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Marilyn Monroe required a lot of takes too.  Depending upon the co-star, they either put up with it without saying anything, or they made a big hassle about it.  Others loved her regardless like George Chakiris when they made Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.

Monroe is a great example for this thread.    Lots of negative feedback from producers, directors and fellow actors.   To me these folks shouldn't have to put up with unprofessionalism.  

• Like 1

Monroe is a great example for this thread.    Lots of negative feedback from producers, directors and fellow actors.   To me these folks shouldn't have to put up with unprofessionalism.  

Monroe was a big star. She was fired from a movie she was supposed to make  with Dean Martin that was later made after she died with a completely separate cast.

Lee Marvin 's drinking was totally out of control sometimes, but he was such a good actor and box office draw that people put up with it.  It did shorten his lifespan.  I love the fact that in the last 5 years of his life he was married to his first love and had gone to her place and insisted that she was going back home with him.  I guess it is the romantic in me as someone who never married wanting there to be real life examples of people who end up with their first loves after a long break in time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings