Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Thrill of a Romance"

I turned on the TV last night just in time to see Helene Stanley's performance of "The Guy with the Slide Trombone" with Tommy Dorsey. I was too busy listening to pay attention to whether the close-up shots of the hands on the piano were actually hers. Anybody have any idea if she actually played piano during the filming or pre-recording? If not, who was playing? I'll make sure I ask for a reminder and record it next time they show it.

I'm betting that she didn't actually play the piano for that scene. Unfortunately, I couldn't tell you for sure; but if she had that talent I'd imagine they would have included it in all her films. Did you know that Helen Stanley was once married to Johnny Stompanato, the gangster who later married Lana Turner and was killed by her daughter? Yipe!

And you might be interested in this thread:

http://forums.tcm.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?messageID=7803578

Dead link, Jack. Not as dead as Stompanato, but dead. I read her bio last night, saw his name, and it clicked pretty fast for this old brain. I'll have to watch more closely next time, but she was pretty good at faking it compared to most in Hollywood, so I thought maybe she actually knew how to play. Also read that she was later the model for "Cinderella" and "Sleeping Beauty". Strange career transition.

"Dead link, Jack. Not as dead as Stompanato, but dead."

How clumsy of me! Sorry about that. I updated the link below.

"Also read that she was later the model for 'Cinderella' and 'Sleeping Beauty'. Strange career transition."

Seems like an appropriate transition to me; I always found her rather animated. ;)