Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Special Soundtrack Albums

CaveGirl

I don't know how many record collectors we have here, but it seems a natural bent for a movie buff to also be into such things sometimes.

If one collects movies, one also might enjoy collecting movie albums, rare or not.

Though this was not from a movie, I recall Richard Rodgers "Victory at Sea" album for years was highly sought after, due to its unavailability. Another album, this time from a film, that garnered wide praise and high costs was "The Caine Mutiny".

One of my personal favorite albums in my collection is the original vinyl for "A Clockwork Orange" for which Kubrick hired the very interesting Walter Carlos to score, along with using excerpts from works by Rossini, Ludwig Van, Elgar, and others. Walter Carlos was also famous for being one of the first gender reassignment surgery patients, and later became Wendy Carlos. For none of the above reasons, I treasure this album due to its multi-faceted musical approach and striking soundtrack.

Another album which is superb is the one for "Forbidden Planet" due to the participation of Louis and Bebe Barron, who came up with the unforgettable electronic score or as some call it, "musical tonalities" Once heard never forgotten.

So whether worth thousands and a rarity, or just an album that you hold dear for other reasons, what are your favorite soundtrack albums?

• Like 1

Not sure if you are asking about vinyl or any version of it;

Here are *some* of my favourites that I own;

Bonanza TV show

Dirty Dancing

Grease

The Wizard of Oz - movie

Lady and the Tramp

Chicago -Broadway cast with Joel Grey

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Coat - Broadway cast with Osmond

Jesus Christ Superstar - 1982 Prince Rupert, B.C. producer (my aunt was in the orchestra)

Showboat - Broadway with Stritch

I have a six volume set of Broadway and Hollywood musical excerpts that are broken down by decade or part of decade

• Like 1

Nice topic CaveGirl!

I've always found that it's hard to go wrong with any of Ennio Morricone's scores.

One of my favorites has always been Once Upon a Time in the West.

It really runs the gamut of musical emotion, from heart-wrenchingly beautiful...

...to chilling and sinister...

• Like 2

Bonanza TV show

Dirty Dancing

Grease

The Wizard of Oz - movie

Lady and the Tramp

Jesus Christ Superstar - 1982 Prince Rupert, B.C. producer (my aunt was in the orchestra)

I have a six volume set of Broadway and Hollywood musical excerpts that are broken down by decade or part of decade

Ironically, Dirty Dancing was mostly a collection of songs from the period as was American Graffiti,The Big Chill and some others. There was also a second volume of Dirty Dancing that actually had more of the movie's original songs on it.  

We probably have over 50 movie soundtracks on CD's.  Even still have Jesus Christ Superstar on vinyl, as well as some others. Not to mention Percy Faith, Ray Conniff and other collections of movie themes.

We get a couple of catalogs that sell lots and lots of old recordings that have been re-done as CD's.  Many of them are soundtracks.

For me, one of best soundtracks for really setting the moods throughout a movie is John Barry's Body Heat.

• Like 2

This isn't a movie, but I have the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.  It's a fun soundtrack for Christmastime.  I like the jazzy Christmas songs.  It's much better than some of the annoying Christmas music that dominates the radio during the holiday season.

In regard to movie soundtracks:

I have the Grease soundtrack.  I also have the Almost Famous soundtrack, which is more of a compilation of songs that were popular in the early to mid 70s.  The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is also excellent.  It's also a compilation of 1970s music.  

I also love the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. 

I have a few soundtracks on vinyl.

I have SMOKEY AND THE BANDIT Part 3 (1983) on vinyl and it's got a 'Promotional' stamp on the jacket.  It's a 'mini-LP' with 6 songs; doesn't include a song I liked from the movie called IT AIN'T THE GOLD by John Stewart, but I was just glad to have found it.  

Then there's THE BEACH GIRLS (1982) soundtrack on Peter Pan Records.  'THE BEACH GIRLS' was a Crown International Production and there were a couple songs used in "The Beach Girls" that were originally used in the 1978 Crown pic "MALIBU BEACH".  A group named 'Arsenal' was utilized.  Also, the beachy 1989 flick "SWIMSUIT:  THE MOVIE" had a song from "The Beach Girls" in it.  Must've been another Crown movie, but I didn't look on the video box to see for sure . . .

I picked up a couple (I wanted a spare) of Regency Records LP's for the 1982 comedy 'ZAPPED!' with Scott Baio, Felice Schachter, Willie Aames, Heather Thomas.  There are a couple of songs from this movie I just had to own.  The song "King and Queen Of Hearts" played over the prom scene near the end (sung by David Pomeranz) was the chief motivator in me rounding up the LP.  Nostalgia!  I saw the movie when I was 10 when it showed up on cable.    

I snagged a cassette tape release (from Elektra Records, I think) of the soundtrack from 'FAST TIMES AT RIDGEMONT HIGH'.  I really liked the Jackson Browne song "Somebody's Baby" which is what motivated me to buy the cassette. 

► One particular song from the 1983 movie 'LOSIN' IT' I still need to round up.  And it's the theme song from the movie by 'The Jeff Alan Band'.  I dig it.  At least the "Losin' It" song is on YouTube, but since I'm acquisitive I'd like to get my mitts on the 45' single.         

Since I'm a theremin player, I own several soundtracks that employ it's use like THE LOST WEEKEND, SPELLBOUND & THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.

I'm a big fan of Angelo Badalamenti and my favorite of his is from the movie CITY OF LOST CHILDREN

While I have several LPs of Morricone music, you'd go broke collecting them, there are so many. You're better off buying A FIST FULL OF MUSIC, the 2 CD disk set compilation of his best works. It's very well recorded & very dynamic-some LP pressings leave much to be desired.

The fantastic compilation of vintage songs for PAPER MOON is only available on LP, no CD to date. I found a mint copy for $2. And I have 2 copies of Judy Holliday in BELLS ARE RINGING LP, but it's the Broadway show, not the movie. Still, great to have.

Though this was not from a movie, I recall Richard Rodgers "Victory at Sea" album for years was highly sought after, due to its unavailability.

I could be wrong, but the LP VICTORY AT SEA is ubiquitous, I must have 8 copies bought from box lots. I think the MOVIE was pulled out of circulation, that's what's rare.

But movie & Broadway soundtrack LPs are dime-a dozen....no one else wants them!

One disadvantage to many soundtrack albums is that the music was compossed specifically for the various scenes in the movie.  The main theme and maybe one or two more songs may be "classics," but the rest is just music that doesn't sound as good without the visuals of the movie.

I pulled one CD off the shelf, Hugo Montenegro: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly & A Fistful of Dollars & For A Few Dollars More.  The 4-5 best songs from each movie are on it.

Nice topic!

However, I really don't have any vinyl LP soundtracks( except one) due to unavailability, or disinterest.

The only one I DO still possess is the CARMINE COPPOLA score for THE BLACK STALLION( an excellent score) that I bought JUST on the cusp of the vinyl/CD switch in the market.  Any other soundtracks I have are on CD, and there are some disappointments on some of them.  For example-------

It's no secret among other long-time members here that the movie THAT THING YOU DO is one of my favorites.  However.....

In the movie, there's a segment in which the band's drummer(Tom Everett Scott), a jazz enthusiast, winds up sitting in a jazz club, and the jazz trio does a tune that I thought was really good, and I really LIKED, that for some reason DIDN'T wind up on the soundtrack CD.

There's similar omissions on the O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU soundtrack CD

Any other soundtracks I have are on CD,

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Bonanza TV show

Dirty Dancing

Grease

The Wizard of Oz - movie

Lady and the Tramp

Hey, GPF we have some similar albums. I see you have the music from "Bonanza" but do you own the "Bonanza" Christmas album with Hoss singing "Deck the Halls"? I bought it at a record show and if I want to get people to leave my house during the holidays I just put it on and presto, people disappear!

Nice topic!

However, I really don't have any vinyl LP soundtracks( except one) due to unavailability, or disinterest.

The only one I DO still possess is the CARMINE COPPOLA score for THE BLACK STALLION( an excellent score) that I bought JUST on the cusp of the vinyl/CD switch in the market.  Any other soundtracks I have are on CD, and there are some disappointments on some of them.  For example-------

It's no secret among other long-time members here that the movie THAT THING YOU DO is one of my favorites.  However.....

In the movie, there's a segment in which the band's drummer(Tom Everett Scott), a jazz enthusiast, winds up sitting in a jazz club, and the jazz trio does a tune that I thought was really good, and I really LIKED, that for some reason DIDN'T wind up on the soundtrack CD.

There's similar omissions on the O BROTHER, WHERE ART THOU soundtrack CD

Any other soundtracks I have are on CD,

Sepiatone

Don't you just hate that, when you buy a soundtrack album and the one song you want is not there.

I remember I wanted the song, "Foul Owl on the Prowl" from the movie, "In the Heat of the Night" and never thought it would be on the album but got lucky and it was! Thanks.

Nice topic CaveGirl!

I've always found that it's hard to go wrong with any of Ennio Morricone's scores.

One of my favorites has always been Once Upon a Time in the West.

It really runs the gamut of musical emotion, from heart-wrenchingly beautiful...

...to chilling and sinister...

So true about Ennio Morricone, who always surprises and is highly talented!

Also to CAVEGIRL:

Due to both the absence of a classical music station in Detroit through a good portion of the 2000's( which has since been rectified) I got in the habit of buying classical music LPs at thrift shops.  If I liked the piece, I'd then hunt it down on CD.

I mention this because CG mentioned in her OP the "Victory At Sea" series of LPs.  The thrift shops were RIFE with old copies!

Sepiatone

Ironically, Dirty Dancing was mostly a collection of songs from the period as was American Graffiti,The Big Chill and some others. There was also a second volume of Dirty Dancing that actually had more of the movie's original songs on it.  

We probably have over 50 movie soundtracks on CD's.  Even still have Jesus Christ Superstar on vinyl, as well as some others. Not to mention Percy Faith, Ray Conniff and other collections of movie themes.

We get a couple of catalogs that sell lots and lots of old recordings that have been re-done as CD's.  Many of them are soundtracks.

For me, one of best soundtracks for really setting the moods throughout a movie is John Barry's Body Heat.

Oh, thanks TC since I'd forgotten "American Graffiti" and it is one of my favorite soundtrack albums that I own. It has so many great hits, and they were played wonderfully in the movie under the auspices of the Wolfman Jack character and fit the scenario so well of kids driving around at night listening to their car radios. It is a great double album!

This isn't a movie, but I have the "A Charlie Brown Christmas" album by the Vince Guaraldi Trio.  It's a fun soundtrack for Christmastime.  I like the jazzy Christmas songs.  It's much better than some of the annoying Christmas music that dominates the radio during the holiday season.

In regard to movie soundtracks:

I have the Grease soundtrack.  I also have the Almost Famous soundtrack, which is more of a compilation of songs that were popular in the early to mid 70s.  The Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack is also excellent.  It's also a compilation of 1970s music.  

I also love the O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack. 

Great choices, Speedracer. Bizarrely I own both the movie "Grease" soundtrack and the original Broadway cast album with Barry Bostwick as the Danny part. Thanks!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings