Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JULY 2016 Schedule is Up - Olivia de Havilland is SOTM

Kay

Happy birthday in advance, Olivia! Other features in July include too many westerns (two full days a week) and a weekly prime time theme of American movies from the 70s (eh?), and more. Not my favorite schedule of recent days, I must say, but that's how it goes.

Month schedule link:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-01

Weekly links:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-29

• Like 4

I like Olivia de Havilland. I've been wanting to see more of her films. I've seen all the films she made with Errol, of course ;)

I look forward to perusing the schedule when I get home and see what I'll end up filling the DVR up with. I don't know who I think I'm kidding with all this stuff I record. I've maxed out 88% of my DVR. Ive got something like 380 movies recorded.

• Like 3

Livvie rocks!

Yes,  Olivia is one of the best.    #3 in my ranking (behind Davis and Stanwyck which of course is some stellar company).

Typically Olivia played strong women character and this is what made me like her.    (a common trait in those other 2 as well).

The book The Leading Ladies is a great book for fans of these stars.   It features those 3 as well as Joan Crawford,  Rosalind Russell and Joan Blondell.      The book covers the movies made (as they relate to the actress not so much the general nature of the film) as well as their personal lives.   It is a nice mix of these two and a great companion to the 'The Films of' books I have.  

• Like 1

I like Olivia de Havilland. I've been wanting to see more of her films. I've seen all the films she made with Errol, of course ;)

I look forward to perusing the schedule when I get home and see what I'll end up filling the DVR up with. I don't know who I think I'm kidding with all this stuff I record. I've maxed out 88% of my DVR. Ive got something like 380 movies recorded.

I routinely have delete things before I watch  them, usually trying to make sure they are movies I have seen before.   I refuse to delete The Seven Samerai before I see it at least once.

I recorded most of the films on Greg's birthday even though I have seen them before.

And hey -  speaking of Errol, I still have some of his films recorded I have yet to see.  I am a big fan of the sisters Joan and Olivia.

I understand that Lou Gossett Jr's night has been recorded and scheduled.  According to TopBilled, Cabin in the Sky is replaced with Night of the Hunter.

I am glad his evening has been rescheduled. He chose some very interesting movies.

By the way, I think the westerns stuff-- with SHANE and the other such titles-- is going to be like what we had last year with the Summer of Darkness (film noir). I expect them to announce they are partnering again with Ball University. If so, then maybe another online course, this time devoted to the western genre.

• Like 1

Still no July 1, Canada Day tribute.  Tons of Canadian films and Canadian stars that could be highlighted that day.  

I've always wondered why they could not do that, at least for TCM Canada.  Even if it only aired here in Canada TCM could havestill done it. We often have a different evening anyway.

• Like 1

Too bad they're consigned to the pre-dawn hours (to start), but looks like Western month is kicking off on July 5 with some very interesting stuff:

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1903), possibly the very first Western and a pioneering, defining moment in the development of American "feature-length" narrative film (in this case, "feature-length" being fewer than 15 minutes, but still ...)

THE SQUAW MAN (1914) - Very early Paramount and Cecil B. DeMille's first feature film.

THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925) - Another very early Paramount. It looks from the plot description to be unusually progressive in its presentation of the Native American.

THE SQUAW MAN (1931) - More early DeMille, made at MGM during a brief hiatus he had from Paramount, so it's probably aired a zillion times on TCM, but I've never seen it.

THREE GODFATHERS (1936) - Not the John Wayne version, but an earlier version with Chester Morris, Lewis Stone and Walter Brennan.

THE PLAINSMAN (1936) - More Paramount! Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur

Daytime is where all the interesting stuff is that day. Nightime is a bunch of predictable John Wayne movies. I wouldn't mind seeing his version of THREE GODFATHERS, but it's airing at 3:15 am.

• Like 3

I'm happy to see that THE HERIESS is scheduled as part of Olivia de Havilland's Star Of the Month tribute. I've been wanting to see that movie for awhile.

I'm also very pleased to see the special theme on Thursdays in July: America in the 1970s. 

I love 1970s American cinema!

Some of the featured movies are:

NETWORK

KLUTE

ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE

THE STEPFORD WIVES

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR

DOG DAY AFTERNOON

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

SCARECROW

WISE BLOOD

A tribute is Stanley Kubrick is scheduled for July 3.

What a wonderful surprise to see scheduled on July 17 as a TCM import Milcho Manchevski's BEFORE THE RAIN with the late Katrin Cartlidge and Grégoire Colin.

And for those who missed it: ROLLER BOOGIE is back in July!

• Like 3

Too bad they're consigned to the pre-dawn hours (to start), but looks like Western month is kicking off on July 5 with some very interesting stuff:

THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY (1903), possibly the very first Western and a pioneering, defining moment in the development of American "feature-length" narrative film (in this case, "feature-length" being fewer than 15 minutes, but still ...)

THE SQUAW MAN (1914) - Very early Paramount and Cecil B. DeMille's first feature film.

THE VANISHING AMERICAN (1925) - Another very early Paramount. It looks from the plot description to be unusually progressive in its presentation of the Native American.

THE SQUAW MAN (1931) - More early DeMille, made at MGM during a brief hiatus he had from Paramount, so it's probably aired a zillion times on TCM, but I've never seen it.

THREE GODFATHERS (1936) - Not the John Wayne version, but an earlier version with Chester Morris, Lewis Stone and Walter Brennan.

THE PLAINSMAN (1936) - More Paramount! Gary Cooper and Jean Arthur

Daytime is where all the interesting stuff is that day. Nightime is a bunch of predictable John Wayne movies. I wouldn't mind seeing his version of THREE GODFATHERS, but it's airing at 3:15 am.

The 31 version of The Squaw Man hasn't really been shown that much at all. I'd seen the 14 version years ago when I had the early Netflix service and wanting to see the 31. But while I've now seen both, it's not that good. It's allegedly the first full length film, but looking at it with 21st century eyes it doesn't seem like the issues examined in the film are very relevant.

I know I didn't explain myself well. Sorry.

Yay! I'm finally ready to sit down with some wine, dinner and some Judy (I'm watching Babes in Arms).  I've been looking forward to seeing the July schedule and seeing what films I'm going to fill my DVR up with.  I can't believe we're only a month or so away from seeing this year's SUTS lineup.  It seems like I was just watching last year's SUTS! 

Anyway... I'll quit my babbling.

---

July 1

Leslie Caron birthday daytime theme.

Promise Her Anything.  I've only ever seen three Caron films: all musicals.  It'd be interesting to see her in a comedy.  I'm intrigued by this film because she's paired with Warren Beatty and Robert Cummings.  I know that Caron and Beatty had a "thing" at one time, it'd be interesting to see them together in this film. 

Olivia de Havilland SOTM Tribute

Nothing new to record here, but I do like the scheduling of three Errol/Olivia films in a row: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and Captain Blood.  I probably would have scheduled Captain Blood earlier than 'Elizabeth and Essex' only because de Havilland is a supporting player in the latter film.  'Elizabeth and Essex' belongs to Errol and Bette.  I might be convinced to watch these three films ;) It's a Friday night too! Not a school night.  Lol. 

July 4

The Devil's Disciple.  A Burt Lancaster movie I haven't seen

The Music Man.  I've never seen this musical, I feel like I should.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays apparently feature a lot of Westerns.  I'll admit that this isn't my favorite genre.  There has to be someone in the cast to attract me to the film.  So far, I've seen all of Errol Flynn's Westerns and that's it.  I may have seen a John Wayne western here and there.  I'll have to do more research to determine which ones I may be interested in.

July 7

Thursday evenings are dedicated to 1970s American films.  This evening's films look interesting.  I've seen Network, which I really enjoy.  I'd like to see the other films scheduled: All the President's Men, The Candidate, The Conversation and Klute.  I believe I already have 'President's Men,' and Klute already recorded.

July 8

The Lady Eve.  I've been wanting to see this Barbara Stanwyck/Henry Fonda film again. 

More de Havilland.

In This Our Life.  A movie featuring de Havilland and one of my other faves: Bette Davis.  

I see more Errol/Olivia films.  I recommend all of them.

July 9

It's Love I'm After.  Ooh another de Havilland/Davis film.  Sold!

Call it a Day.  This sounds like a fluff film to pad out de Havilland's resume, but also sounds like it could be amusing.

The Train Robbers.  An Ann-Margret movie I haven't seen.  Also features John Wayne. 

Bhowani Junction.  An Ava Gardner movie I haven't seen.

The evening of movies featuring Hedda Hopper the actress could be interesting.  I love that the evening is followed by Roller Boogie. My #2 favorite roller disco movie.  

I'm also intrigued by one of the short films: Dating Do's and Don'ts featuring Jackie Gleason (!). 

The short film Summer of '63 sounds very interesting too: "In this social guidance short film, teens on the make spread syphilis among their friends." 

July 11

The Burning Hills & The Girl He Left Behind.  Two Natalie Wood movies I haven't seen.

July 12 & July 13

More Westerns.  I'll have to do more research to see if there are any that I'm interested in.

July 14

Oh man! An entire morning of teen movies.  I love teen movies, especially teen beach movies! 

I will definitely be recording the Beach Blanket Bingo movies. 

Where the Boys Are sounds interesting.  As does For Those Who Think Young.  

More 1970s American films.  If I didn't already own this film, I would definitely be recording The Stepford Wives.  I love this movie.  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore looks interesting, this is probably the one I will record.

July 15

Finally some de Havilland films I haven't seen.

I'm interested in:

The Snake Pit

To Each His Own

Devotion (I especially want to see this one since it also features Ida Lupino, one of my new favorites).

July 18

The Big Steal.  This Robert Mitchum film looks interesting if I haven't already recorded it.  Lol. 

July 19 & July 20.  

Sigh.  More Westerns.  The same thing will apply as I've stated before.

July 22

More de Havilland:

My Cousin Rachel

The Proud Rebel

The Ambassador's Daughter

Hold Back the Dawn

July 23

My Love Came Back

July 27

Ooh I finally found a Western off the bat that I want to see:

Callaway Went Thataway.  It is a Fred MacMurray film I haven't seen.

Ooh and another one! 

Destry Rides Again.  I've heard much about this film featuring James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich.

July 28

America in the 70s theme:

Scarecrow.  I like the idea of hitchhikers becoming fast friends.  I don't know why.  This film sounds interesting.

The Drowning Pool.  A film featuring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  It sounds intriguing.

July 29

Donovan's Brain.  This film sounds amazing.

Olivia again:

Light in the Piazza.

Princess O'Rourke.  I've seen this film before and enjoyed it.  I'd like to see it again.  

Whew! That's a lot.  I'm sure by the time July rolls around, I will have found more films to record and my husband will hate me for filling up the DVR.  Lol.  

• Like 3

I'm happy to see that THE HERIESS is scheduled as part of Olivia de Havilland's Star Of the Month tribute. I've been wanting to see that movie for awhile.

I'm also very pleased to see the special theme on Thursdays in July: America in the 1970s. 

I love 1970s American cinema!

Some of the featured movies are:

NETWORK

KLUTE

ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE

THE STEPORD WIVES

LOOKING FOR MR. GOODBAR

DOG DAY AFTERNOON

SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER

SCARECROW

WISE BLOOD

A tribute is Stanley Kubrick is scheduled for July 3.

What a wonderful surprise to see scheduled on July 17 as a TCM import Milcho Manchevski's BEFORE THE RAIN with the late Katrin Cartlidge and Grégoire Colin.

And for those who missed it: ROLLER BOOGIE is back in July!

Holden, I'm glad we share the same passions. Mainly The Stepford Wives and Roller Boogie.  Roller Boogie is the greatest roller disco movie after Xanadu.

Then there's 'Stepford Wives.' 

"How could you do a thing like that?...When I was just going to give you coffee!... I thought we were friends!..."

• Like 2

Yay! I'm finally ready to sit down with some wine, dinner and some Judy (I'm watching Babes in Arms).  I've been looking forward to seeing the July schedule and seeing what films I'm going to fill my DVR up with.  I can't believe we're only a month or so away from seeing this year's SUTS lineup.  It seems like I was just watching last year's SUTS! 

Anyway... I'll quit my babbling.

---

July 1

Leslie Caron birthday daytime theme.

Promise Her Anything.  I've only ever seen three Caron films: all musicals.  It'd be interesting to see her in a comedy.  I'm intrigued by this film because she's paired with Warren Beatty and Robert Cummings.  I know that Caron and Beatty had a "thing" at one time, it'd be interesting to see them together in this film. 

Olivia de Havilland SOTM Tribute

Nothing new to record here, but I do like the scheduling of three Errol/Olivia films in a row: The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex and Captain Blood.  I probably would have scheduled Captain Blood earlier than 'Elizabeth and Essex' only because de Havilland is a supporting player in the latter film.  'Elizabeth and Essex' belongs to Errol and Bette.  I might be convinced to watch these three films ;) It's a Friday night too! Not a school night.  Lol. 

July 4

The Devil's Disciple.  A Burt Lancaster movie I haven't seen

The Music Man.  I've never seen this musical, I feel like I should.

Tuesdays and Wednesdays apparently feature a lot of Westerns.  I'll admit that this isn't my favorite genre.  There has to be someone in the cast to attract me to the film.  So far, I've seen all of Errol Flynn's Westerns and that's it.  I may have seen a John Wayne western here and there.  I'll have to do more research to determine which ones I may be interested in.

July 7

Thursday evenings are dedicated to 1970s American films.  This evening's films look interesting.  I've seen Network, which I really enjoy.  I'd like to see the other films scheduled: All the President's Men, The Candidate, The Conversation and Klute.  I believe I already have 'President's Men,' and Klute already recorded.

July 8

The Lady Eve.  I've been wanting to see this Barbara Stanwyck/Henry Fonda film again. 

More de Havilland.

In This Our Life.  A movie featuring de Havilland and one of my other faves: Bette Davis.  

I see more Errol/Olivia films.  I recommend all of them.

July 9

It's Love I'm After.  Ooh another de Havilland/Davis film.  Sold!

Call it a Day.  This sounds like a fluff film to pad out de Havilland's resume, but also sounds like it could be amusing.

The Train Robbers.  An Ann-Margret movie I haven't seen.  Also features John Wayne. 

Bhowani Junction.  An Ava Gardner movie I haven't seen.

The evening of movies featuring Hedda Hopper the actress could be interesting.  I love that the evening is followed by Roller Boogie. My #2 favorite roller disco movie.  

I'm also intrigued by one of the short films: Dating Do's and Don'ts featuring Jackie Gleason (!). 

The short film Summer of '63 sounds very interesting too: "In this social guidance short film, teens on the make spread syphilis among their friends." 

July 11

The Burning Hills & The Girl He Left Behind.  Two Natalie Wood movies I haven't seen.

July 12 & July 13

More Westerns.  I'll have to do more research to see if there are any that I'm interested in.

July 14

Oh man! An entire morning of teen movies.  I love teen movies, especially teen beach movies! 

I will definitely be recording the Beach Blanket Bingo movies. 

Where the Boys Are sounds interesting.  As does For Those Who Think Young.  

More 1970s American films.  If I didn't already own this film, I would definitely be recording The Stepford Wives.  I love this movie.  Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore looks interesting, this is probably the one I will record.

July 15

Finally some de Havilland films I haven't seen.

I'm interested in:

The Snake Pit

To Each His Own

Devotion (I especially want to see this one since it also features Ida Lupino, one of my new favorites).

July 18

The Big Steal.  This Robert Mitchum film looks interesting if I haven't already recorded it.  Lol. 

July 19 & July 20.  

Sigh.  More Westerns.  The same thing will apply as I've stated before.

July 22

More de Havilland:

My Cousin Rachel

The Proud Rebel

The Ambassador's Daughter

Hold Back the Dawn

July 23

My Love Came Back

July 27

Ooh I finally found a Western off the bat that I want to see:

Callaway Went Thataway.  It is a Fred MacMurray film I haven't seen.

Ooh and another one! 

Destry Rides Again.  I've heard much about this film featuring James Stewart and Marlene Dietrich.

July 28

America in the 70s theme:

Scarecrow.  I like the idea of hitchhikers becoming fast friends.  I don't know why.  This film sounds interesting.

The Drowning Pool.  A film featuring Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward.  It sounds intriguing.

July 29

Donovan's Brain.  This film sounds amazing.

Olivia again:

Light in the Piazza.

Princess O'Rourke.  I've seen this film before and enjoyed it.  I'd like to see it again.  

Whew! That's a lot.  I'm sure by the time July rolls around, I will have found more films to record and my husband will hate me for filling up the DVR.  Lol.  

I love excited babble, Speedy.

July 29 has a nine movie tribute to Nancy Davis including DONOVAN`S BRAIN. SHADOW ON THE WALL, and seven more. I am very pleased with the tribute to Olivia DeHavilland including my favorite HOLD BACK THE DOWN 1941. A Paramount release co-written by Billy Wilder and Charles Brackett, and directed by Mitchell Leisen, Olivia earned her first best acting Academy Award nomination. She competed against her sister Joan Fontaine who won for SUSPICION 1941.

• Like 2

Happy birthday in advance, Olivia! Other features in July include too many westerns (two full days a week) and a weekly prime time theme of American movies from the 70s (eh?), and more. Not my favorite schedule of recent days, I must say, but that's how it goes.

Month schedule link:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/monthly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-01

Weekly links:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-01

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-08

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-15

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-22

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/weekly.html?tz=est&sdate=2016-07-29

Seeing nothing but blank space in the monthly schedule though the weeks do load correctly.  Any suggestions? I know this is an on-going problem for some of us.  Can someone provide a better link? Thanks in advance.

Lydecker

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-13%2Bat%2B8.00.1

Haven't seen any comments about the night dedicated to Robert Francis. He only appeared in a handful of films at Columbia in the mid-50s, dying quite young.

This had been planned last December but was bumped for the George Sanders tribute. It has now been rescheduled for Monday July 25th:

Screen%2Bshot%2B2016-04-13%2Bat%2B7.57.5

• Like 1

Please do correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like HOLD BACK THE DAWN (1941) is scheduled for the wee small hours of the morning. If so, this is so wrong, and I encourage you all to DVR it; and I will add that a rare acquisition like this should be encored the same week within the daytime hours just because it needs to be seen.

A must for all fans of Olivia, as well as the Wilder/Brackett writing duo.

It really should have an 8:00pm airing (all apologies to West Coasters, I'm amenable to 10:00 pm) it is a major film in her career, her first Best Actress nomination (a rise in rank from her supporting nod for GWTW) and a beautiful, unique, novel, compelling and exquisitely acted film- not just from Livvie, but by Paulette Goddard and Charles Boyer- the latter of whom really should have been nominated for Best Actor for his work in this film.

(It's also got one of the most unique beginnings of any film ever, with a cleverly "meta" idea wherein this film's story starts on a HOLLYWOOD sound stage where the real-life production for I WANTED WINGS with Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd was filming; both stars cameo in this movie too.)

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings