Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you consider men in their 70s onward "classic"?

CaveGirl

Ladies only, CaveGirl?

I think it depends upon your age yourself.

I think at 40, men in the 70s and beyond are a bit too old for me.

If, however, you are asking can they still draw you in at the box office with their acting, well yes.   I think if Jack Nicholson were to make another movie -which is unlikely as he does not want to do this -I would buy a ticket to see it.

• Like 1

Now that I'm in my 60s I think men at 70 and beyond could be considered "classic"  :) as long as their brain is reasonably sharp.  Really, it depends on your own age and point of view.  It's like when you're a kid and your parents seem ancient even though they may be only in their 30s.  As for actors, Cary Grant always seemed classic and looked good with the white hair and glasses when he got older.

• Like 1

Now that I'm in my 60s I think men at 70 and beyond could be considered "classic"  :) as long as their brain is reasonably sharp.  Really, it depends on your own age and point of view.  It's like when you're a kid and your parents seem ancient even though they may be only in their 30s.  As for actors, Cary Grant always seemed classic and looked good with the white hair and glasses when he got older.

Agreed, Christine!

Cary Grant in his eighties was like a classic Lamborghini.

Jack Nicholson, would be a classic Chevy Corvair.

Jack Gilford would be a classic Ford Edsel.

• Like 2

Sexist & ageist! LOL.

In the vein of Gentleman Prefer Blondes, does the size of the gentleman's... um.... wallet come into play?

Yes, being that I like to emulate all things men do, I have decided at this late date to become sexist and ageist.

Speaking of wallets and men, I think Bessie Smith had a song about that. Let me see if I can find the lyrics.

• Like 3

Depends on the model and wear on the chassis.

Ladies only topic!

CaveGirl, considering your explanation of the topic, is does kind of sound like you are talking about men who have old cars.

As such, not on topic......

Quick - lets talk about Peter Falk and that weird old car he drove on Columbo.....

Sexist & ageist! LOL.

In the vein of Gentleman Prefer Blondes, does the size of the gentleman's... um.... wallet come into play?

Well if we're talking about a man's wallet and not merely just his wallet, I'd say it does matter. Just ask Ava Gardner about Mickey Rooney, she said in her autobiography that he was "loaded" and I'm not talking about money ;)
  • Like 3

Well if we're talking about a man's wallet and not merely just his wallet, I'd say it does matter. Just ask Ava Gardner about Mickey Rooney, she said in her autobiography that he was "loaded" and I'm not talking about money ;)

She said the same thing about Sinatra. She apparently had a thing for small or skinny guys who were well-endowed. There, I've entered the fray.

• Like 2

CaveGirl, considering your explanation of the topic, is does kind of sound like you are talking about men who have old cars.

As such, not on topic......

Quick - lets talk about Peter Falk and that weird old car he drove on Columbo.....

I LOVE Peter Falk as Columbo. Wasn't his beat up car a Peugot?

By the way, I was wrong about the Bessie Smith song. It was about "her" pocketbook and went like this:

"You can look at my bank book

But I'll never let you feel my purse"

• Like 1

Well, Ava Gardner also had a relationship with billionaire Howard Hughes......

Yeah, I remember the Ava quote about how much Frankie weighed, and well...okay, I won't go any further. Those who know, know and those who don't will have to look it up.

By the way, I was wrong about the Bessie Smith song. It was about "her" pocketbook and went like this:

"You can look at my bank book

But I'll never let you feel my purse"

Yes, I believe it was.

That raincoat he wore came out of his own closet.

• Like 1

She said the same thing about Sinatra. She apparently had a thing for small or skinny guys who were well-endowed. There, I've entered the fray.

I read somewhere that there was a movie star (or perhaps multiple) who would play the piano at parties, without using his hands...

• Like 2

This Columbo fansite has lots of interesting tidbits about the Lieutenant's jalopy: http://www.columbo-site.freeuk.com/car.htm

Always, Limey.  If the man is young, maybe not.  But you do remember Anna Nicole Smith?

Yes, she had a couple of things that left an impression... ;)

I read somewhere that there was a movie star (or perhaps multiple) who would play the piano at parties, without using his hands...

Performance of a four handed composition would have been interesting - one sure hopes no one ever accidentally knocked the keyboard fall board down mid recital...

• Like 2

"You can look at my bank book[/size]

But I'll never let you feel my purse"[/size]

Sounds similar to the Smokey Robinson-penned "First I Look at the Purse", a 1964ish hit for the Contours. This is the mercenary male pov.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings