Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Forgotten Gems

CaveGirl

A movie I often recommend to friends, which is not talked about much anymore is "House of Games" from 1987.

The first movie directed by the great David Mamet and also written by him, it stars Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna. It has twists and turns galore and is a real psychological gem.

Here's the IMDB listing:

A psychiatrist comes to the aid of a compulsive gambler and is led by a smooth-talking grifter into the shadowy but compelling world of stings, scams, and con men.

Please share a film that you think is great, but forgotten that others might enjoy.

• Like 4

Attack and Retreat or Italiani Brava Gente (1964) is a film that I have been trying to find for quite some time now.  It's an Italian WWII film by Giuseppe de Santis and it stars Arthur Kennedy and Peter Falk.  I saw a dubbed version of this in my teens and at the time I thought it was excellent.  I'm curious if I would still think so.

• Like 2

A movie I often recommend to friends, which is not talked about much anymore is "House of Games" from 1987.

The first movie directed by the great David Mamet and also written by him, it stars Lindsay Crouse and Joe Mantegna. It has twists and turns galore and is a real psychological gem.

CG, although I agree with you that the film is, indeed, a psychological gem, I have always thought the material would have fared better in different hands. Yes, I know, David Mamet directed and co-wrote the screenplay, and therein lies the problem for me. My threshold for tolerance regarding Mamet is so low I can't sit through anything else he was attached to, as director or writer, and the less said about Lindsay Crouse the better (more merciful).

I offer up Mister Buddwing (1966) is a gem, James Garner plays an amnesiac who wakes up in Central Park with just a few possible clues in his pockets.

I have seen that movie and it is a great one not given as much credit as deserved.

Thanks, Cigarjoe!

CG, although I agree with you that the film is, indeed, a psychological gem, I have always thought the material would have fared better in different hands. Yes, I know, David Mamet directed and co-wrote the screenplay, and therein lies the problem for me. My threshold for tolerance regarding Mamet is so low I can't sit through anything else he was attached to, as director or writer, and the less said about Lindsay Crouse the better (more merciful).

That's very interesting, WG. I've never thought of having anyone else at the helm, and wonder who you would choose since you're not into DM.

Just curious, do you not like Lindsay Crouse in this film, or in anything?

That's very interesting, WG. I've never thought of having anyone else at the helm, and wonder who you would choose since you're not into DM.

Just curious, do you not like Lindsay Crouse in this film, or in anything?

Well CG, I can tell ya in my CASE anyway, the ONE thing that always bothered me about that otherwise fascinating film IS Lindsay's "staccato" and emotionless line delivery in it.

And yeah, I know she's supposed to be playing a repressed shrink in it, but that line delivery of hers in this film always grates on my ears whenever I watch it.

(...love everything else about HOUSE OF GAMES, though) 

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings