Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Annual SUTS Wish List

Kay

Well, it's that time of year again. TCM just released their schedule for July, and that means their ready to start work on August, and we can safely assume that Summer Under the Stars (SUTS) will return once again. Though this is not the most popular time around these boards, we can at least try to impact the schedule for the better by suggesting some performers we'd like to see 24 hours of. Feel free to throw in some specific film requests, as well.

I have prepared a list of various favorite actors with a written-in protest: I have scheduled Saturdays and Sundays with actors who could fulfill the weekly special programs that TCM always chooses to suspend during this month: The Essentials, TCM Underground, Silent Sunday and TCM Imports have all been restored on my list. It was not always easy to find actors who appeared in both foreign language films and silent films who are feasible to be chosen, but I did not go exclusively for feasible names. Many of them are very unlikely, and I didn't bother with anyone who has ever been chosen for SUTS or SOTM before. I encourage others to be courageous and outlandish with their requests. 

A list of past SUTS and SOTM honorees can be found in the Stickies (helpful TCM info) forum. You can easily find names on that list by using the find function on your keyboard (press Ctrl and F.)

August will begin on begin on a Monday, and so does my list. They are in week-long sets of seven, Saturday (The Essentials, TCM Underground) and Sunday (Silent Sunday, TCM Imports) at the end of each set. I might fill in with specific film suggestions later on.

1. Dan Duryea
2. Gloria Swanson
3. Akim Tamiroff
4. Max von Sydow
5. Elsa Lanchester
6. Burgess Meredith
7. Dolores del Rio

8. Jason Robards
9. Valentina Cortese
10. Douglas Fairbanks
11. Ralph Richardson
12. Una Merkel
13. Timothy Carey
14. Erich von Stroheim

15. Glynis Johns
16. Harry Langdon
17. Tatsuya Nakadai
18. Sylvia Sidney
19. Robert Newton
20. Elisha Cook, Jr.
21. Pola Negri

22. Alan Bates
23. Paul Robeson
24. Anna Magnani
25. Hume Cronyn
26. Judy Holliday
27. Lon Chaney, Jr.
28. Sessue Hayakawa

29. Isabelle Adjani
30. Roland Young

31. Henry Hull (to fulfill what I once said to CaveGirl)

• Like 8

I second your desire to retain the Underground, Silent Sundays & Imports if possible, with some creative scheduling selections.

28. Sessue Hayakawa

+1 for this actor, as well. It'd be nice to see him get a spotlight.

As an aside, I was somewhat startled to see him as the native chief during the recent broadcast of Green Mansions...

• Like 2

Fifteen Stars, Sixteen directors:

1.) Boris Karloff

2.) Paulette Goddard

3.) Christopher Lee--1974's "The Wicker Man" having the prize 8:00 p.m. time slot.

4.) Lon Chaney Sr.

5.) Carol Burnett--Two Hours of her Film parodies included, including "Rebecky", Torchy Song", & others.

6.) Marion Davies

7.) Una O'Connor

8.) Dick Powell

9.) Jean Arthur

10.) Gene Kelly

11.) Marlene Dietrich

12.) Robert Mitchum

13.) Audrey Hepburn

14.) Tab Hunter

15.) John Gilbert

16. Alfred Hitchcock

17.) Fritz Lang

18.) Billy Wilder

19.) Robert Siodmak

20.) Charles Walters

21.) George Cukor

22.) Victor Fleming

23.) D.W. Griffith

24.) Howard Hawks

25.) Ernst Lubitsch

26.) John Ford

27.) Anthony Mann

28.  Budd Boetticher 

29.) Sergei Eisenstein

30.) Otto Preminger

31.) James Whale

• Like 2

If you look closely at the July schedule, especially the end of it, you will see rare Fox titles showing up which might indicate they have been purchased in a package deal to be immediately replayed in August for SUTS.

Examples-- STORMY WEATHER. TCM never plays this one and out of the blue it appears in late July. So I bet Lena Horne, who did not have a lengthy filmography, is probably a SUTS honoree in August and STORMY WEATHER will be repeated for it. Also, I think the fact THE LONG HOT SUMMER is showing up in late July means it will also be rebroadcast in August, for either Paul Newman or Joanne Woodward. My guess is Woodward. 

Plus, we have AND THEN THERE WERE NONE airing in July, which could mean that Walter Huston is a SUTS honoree. 

And WINCHESTER '73, a Universal title is being featured with all those westerns. I can see that one repeated in August for either James Stewart or Shelley Winters.

• Like 1

Wow! I can't believe that we're anticipating this year's SUTS list already.  It seems like I was just watching last year's SUTS.  In fact, I still have films from last year's SUTS on my DVR.

Here is my wish list (in no particular order):

1. Joan Blondell

2. Dick Powell

3. Ann Dvorak

4. Ann Sheridan

5. Myrna Loy

6. Lucille Ball

7. Burt Lancaster

8. Agnes Moorehead

9. Paulette Goddard

10. Mary Astor

11. Jack Carson

12. Dennis Morgan

13. Charles Coburn

14. Tyrone Power

15. Dana Andrews

16. Richard Widmark

17. William Frawley

18. Peter Lorre

19. Humphrey Bogart

20. Rita Hayworth

21. Laurel & Hardy

22. Ronald Colman

23. Carole Lombard

24. Basil Rathbone

25. Sandra Dee 

26. Kim Novak

27. Jack Lemmon

28. Donald O'Connor

29. Thelma Ritter

30. Joan Fontaine

31. Rosalind Russell

• Like 4

TCM hasn't suspended The Essentials during SUTS in the past; it has incorporated the choosing of stars for August and the film Essentials, possibly even planning the two in tandem.

Additionally, you may wish to plan SUTS for 2017; other than some film titles, I'm sure the honorees for this year are pretty well set.

Good choices being submitted by everyone, however.

"Kay" suggested Judy Holliday as one of the SUTS. Unless TCM includes the films where she's uncredited or includes some of her TV appearances there wouldn't be enough films to cover the 24 hour day. Judy didn't make many movies.

That's the reason I didn't include Mae West, but I thought I checked up on Judy Holliday about this... Now that I look again you may be right, there aren't very many feature films. Still, it might be worth filling the day out with shorts just to have her in there and show her whole filmography.

TCM hasn't suspended The Essentials during SUTS in the past; it has incorporated the choosing of stars for August and the film Essentials, possibly even planning the two in tandem.[...]

Oh yeah, you're right, The Essentials isn't one of the programs suspended. I guess I just had that in my mind because I was picking people based on their Essentials potential as well as Underground potential. Even so, that isn't one of the programs I'm concerned about maintaining. (Now that I think of it, I don't think all of my Sunday choices have very much Essentials, Jr. potential... oh, bother.)

My list in no particular order:I wish that we would have thought of the SUTS wish list six months ago.

1. Tyrone Power

2. Lizabeth Scott

3. Peter O`Toole

4. Janet Leigh

5.Richard Burton

6. Myrna Loy

7. Robert Young

8.Lee Remick

9.Glenn Ford

10.Jean Simmons

11.Jack Lemmon

12.Deborah Kerr

13.George C. Scott

14.Natalie Wood

15 Dana Andrews

16.Jane Wyman

17.Peter Finch

18.Loretta Young

19.James Mason

20.Teresa Wright

21.William Holden

22.Claire Trevor

23.Robert Preston

24.Ruth Roman

25. Tony Curtis

26.Doris Day

27.Paul Newman

28.Ingrid Bergman

29. Farley Granger

30. Jennifer Jones.

31. John Garfield or Anne Bancroft

• Like 2

TopBilled--Re your post of yesterday, 11:40 p.m. E.S.T.;

Shelley Winters was honored in last years SUTS.  My guess is "Winchester '73" (1950) is for James Stewart or Rock Hudson, who was 10th billed (according to TCM).

Since Rock was Star of the Month last summer, then I'd say Jimmy-- he is a programming fave, and they can throw in all the MGM stuff he did.

• Like 1

Would be a nice way of honoring stars who have passed deemed  not "big enough" to rate a movie salute when they died, like Lizabeth Scott, Colleen Gray, Joan Leslie etc. And since they seem to have no interest in having Joan Bennett as SOTM, another Joan day!!!

No doubt Katharine Hepburn will get one again..........

• Like 1

Would be a nice way of honoring stars who have passed deemed  not "big enough" to rate a movie salute when they died, like Lizabeth Scott, Colleen Gray, Joan Leslie etc.  

Scott & Gray were both honored in late December as part of a 2015 In Memorial evening of programming. And they built an Essentials block around Joan Leslie in early January. 

That's the reason I didn't include Mae West, but I thought I checked up on Judy Holliday about this... Now that I look again you may be right, there aren't very many feature films. Still, it might be worth filling the day out with shorts just to have her in there and show her whole filmography.

I like your list since it includes mostly actors that will never be Star of the Month but deserve their due.   Nice mix of leading actors that were not 'major stars'  (subject to endless debate of course!),  and supporting actors.  

Funny but when I first read your list Judy Holliday did stick out,  but then I remembered that she didn't make a lot of films and SUTS was perfect for her.    Just have the next SOTM start with a film at 2 am or so if there isn't enough Holliday for a full 24 hours.

Out of solidarity with Arturo and Hibi, I'd opt for a Linda Darnell/Joan Bennett month before any of my choices; but for the record, some of mine would be:

Jennifer Jones (she REALLY deserves rediscovery, esp. if they can show GONE TO EARTH and CLUNY BROWN.)

Bela Lugosi and KARLOFF: THE UNCANNY as co-SOTMs for October.

WC Fields (although unlikely because of Paramount)

Dana Andrews

Charles Boyer

Claude Rains

Paulette Goddard

i'm sure there are a lot others i can't think of right offhand.

oh yeah- duh, Edward G. Robinson.

• Like 2

Since Rock was Star of the Month last summer, then I'd say Jimmy-- he is a programming fave, and they can throw in all the MGM stuff he did.

James Stewart is a shoo-in for SUTS this year. Not only does WINCHESTER '73 show up on the July schedule, but also DESTRY RIDES AGAIN -- two Universal titles, which are fairly rare on TCM. And of course TCM will use any excuse it can find to trot out THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and Stewart's other MGM films.

Regarding other potential honorees on the basis of the July schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if TCM uses AND THEN THERE WERE NONE to build a day around Barry Fitzgerald. Given the relative abundance of Universal-owned Paramount titles on TCM recently, I can definitely picture GOING MY WAY ending up on the SUTS lineup.

Henry Fonda is another likely honoree -- THE LADY EVE and THE OX-BOW INCIDENT both return to TCM in July, having not aired on the network for over a year.

TORA! TORA! TORA! makes a somewhat rare appearance on TCM in July, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone from the film's all-star cast get honored -- maybe Jason Robards, whose films are in somewhat frequent rotation on the network.

Van Johnson would have been 100 years old on August 22, and since many of his films were for MGM he's almost guaranteed a spot in this year's lineup.

• Like 4

James Stewart is a shoo-in for SUTS this year. Not only does WINCHESTER '73 show up on the July schedule, but also DESTRY RIDES AGAIN -- two Universal titles, which are fairly rare on TCM. And of course TCM will use any excuse it can find to trot out THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and Stewart's other MGM films.

Regarding other potential honorees on the basis of the July schedule, I wouldn't be surprised if TCM uses AND THEN THERE WERE NONE to build a day around Barry Fitzgerald. Given the relative abundance of Universal-owned Paramount titles on TCM recently, I can definitely picture GOING MY WAY ending up on the SUTS lineup.

Henry Fonda is another likely honoree -- THE LADY EVE and THE OX-BOW INCIDENT both return to TCM in July, having not aired on the network for over a year.

TORA! TORA! TORA! makes a somewhat rare appearance on TCM in July, so I wouldn't be surprised to see someone from the film's all-star cast get honored -- maybe Jason Robards, whose films are in somewhat frequent rotation on the network.

Van Johnson would have been 100 years old on August 22, and since many of his films were for MGM he's almost guaranteed a spot in this year's lineup.

Great post. Since they like household names, or people with classics in the TCM/Turner Library, I figured they would pick Walter Huston over Barry Fitzgerald because they can lead off primetime with TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE, plus they have all those precodes Huston did in their library. But I'd be happy to see Fitzgerald get the honor (and the Seabiscuit movie has been in heavy rotation lately so maybe). 

TORA! TORA! TORA! could be used for Joseph Cotten, which would give them an excuse to air GASLIGHT again.

I agree that Van Johnson, Henry Fonda and James Stewart are all shoo-ins for the reasons you cited.

DESTRY RIDES AGAIN is showing in July???!!!!

AWESOME!

I saw it online once a year or two ago and it is EXCELLENT- highly recommended, I was kinda' cool towards Stewart before I saw this, but he totally wins you over in this one.

DVR this one for sure.

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings