Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

*Warren Beatty's long in the works Howard Hughes bio is done!

spence

I already sent this story onto a few I know & it's about *Oscar winner: *Warren Beatty-(l937-)

& he's said to finally finished his long in the works biography of: Howard Hughes-(l905-l976)

They say that all it really needs is a "title" & may even be ready for release this fall

As I told others, he's not been in a film since 2001's flat (**-out of four at best) "Town & Country" & that he had another passion project even longer, on a rehash of a nice movie from 1947 w/William Powell

"Mr. Peabody & the Mermaid"

However, that one dates back even before his epic "Reds" (l98l)

Thank You :(

I already sent this story onto a few I know & it's about *Oscar winner: *Warren Beatty-(l937-)

& he's said to finally finished his long in the works biography of: Howard Hughes-(l905-l976)

They say that all it really needs is a "title" & may even be ready for release this fall

As I told others, he's not been in a film since 2001's flat (**-out of four at best) "Town & Country" & that he had another passion project even longer, on a rehash of a nice movie from 1947 w/William Powell

"Mr. Peabody & the Mermaid"

However, that one dates back even before his epic "Reds" (l98l)

Thank You :(

A remake of that awful William Powell movie? He was passionate about that? He must be getting senile.

A remake of that awful William Powell movie? He was passionate about that? He must be getting senile.

EVERYBODY in TOWN & COUNTRY must have been terribly addled to have accepted participating in that bomb whose budget could have easily paid at least a third of the national debt.

I think instead of calling this the Warren Beatty "long in the works" epic about Hughes they should call it the Warren Beatty "long in the tooth" movie.

Well CG, maybe Warren felt he hadn't watched ICE STATION ZEBRA enough in order to really flesh out his title character until fairly recently?!

(...you know how those Method actors are, doncha?!) 

Well CG, maybe Warren felt he hadn't watched ICE STATION ZEBRA enough in order to really flesh out his title character until fairly recently?!

You guys sure do stick together, Dargo!

But I guess there is always a method to men's madness.

So Warren Beatty is playing the zebra?

So Warren Beatty is playing the zebra?

Well, of course not, Fedya.

Warren's playing a nuclear-powered submarine.

(...and people say the man could never stretch as an actor...THIS'LL show 'em...those suckers are pretty long, ya know)

• Like 1

Well, of course not, Fedya.

Warren's playing a nuclear-powered submarine.

(...and people say the man could never stretch as an actor...THIS'LL show 'em...those suckers are pretty long, ya know)

Henceforth to be known as Boomer Beatty in recognition.

And those things are big & complex, too. They're like a regular rabbit warren inside...

• Like 1

I feel like this movie is really going to capture the fancy of the modern youth market full of ticket-buyers!  A guy who turned into a mental disaster area in the late '40s and who's been dead for 40 years and an actor playing him who's 79 (or soon will be) who's made just 7 movies since 1980 -- or is it 8? 

REDS (1981)

ISHTAR (1987)

DICK TRACY (1990) 

BUGSY (1991)

LOVE AFFAIR (1994)

BULWORTH (1998)

TOWN & COUNTRY (2001)  Filmed mostly in 1998.

Have I missed one? 

Anyway, Warren hasn't exactly been seen on the silver screen a lot in the past 35 years and I'm wondering who is target audience is for this upcoming long-awaited masterpiece that no one's been clamoring for?  I've got it . . . 

*There is no target audience!* 

• Like 1

Anyway, Warren hasn't exactly been seen on the silver screen a lot in the past 35 years and I'm wondering who is target audience is for this upcoming long-awaited masterpiece that no one's been clamoring for?  I've got it . . . 

*There is no target audience!* 

I don't care about this movie one way or the other, but why should I care who the target audience is? I'm not a studio bean counter. Why should a movie's marketability matter one bit to someone who isn't financially vested in its success?

Well, Mr. Gorman, I can tell you one person who will buy a ticket for this movie if and when it ever comes out - me! I mentioned in another recent thread that Beatty was a childhood idol of mine and have been hoping for many years now he would make one more movie.

Don't know if this question is directed to anyone in particular, but I'm always happy to give my opinion!  :)

I haven't seen THE CARPETBAGGERS. I thought THE AVIATOR was good, not great. Leonardo DiCaprio is way better looking than Hughes was in real life, IMO, so that was a little hard to get past, but DiCaprio, if not a great actor, is always totally committed to the role, and he fully embraces both the genius and madness that was Hughes. I haven't read a lot about Hughes, so I don't know how close it is to real life. I think the Hughes/Hepburn romance may have been considerably overplayed, that in reality it was neither as long or as intense as the movie would have you believe. I think fans of classic movies will nevertheless enjoy the appearances of Cate Blanchett (who won an Oscar) as Hepburn and Kate Beckinsale as Ava Gardner and the scenes concerning the filming of HELL'S ANGELS and Hughes trying to convince the Production Code folks that RKO actually shows restraint in its presentation of the cleavages of Jayne Mansfield and other female stars. Scorsese is rarely if ever boring in my opinion, but this film is certainly one of his more disjointed efforts; it tries to cram in a lot of ideas and situations. Definitely worth watching at least once, however.

Also, while not really a Hughes movie, per se, I think MELVIN & HOWARD ought to at least be mentioned. Definitely worth watching.

Well, I recently saw The Aviator and enjoyed the movie, especially Cate ad Leo, although I usually don't watch Leo's movies. 

I saw The Carpetbaggers years ago, and I cannot remember enough about it.

As for Warren, |I know that Barbara Walters told him to his face that he was the most boring person to interview.

As for target audience, maybe Warren thinks people who love to watch movies produced by Hughes will be interested in it - especially if they have not seen The Aviator...who this might be I do not know.

Too late to edit my original post, but it hit me this evening I had made a mistake: I meant to say the RKO actress whose cleavage caused the Production Code board such consternation was Jane Russell, not Jayne Mansfield, though in my defense, the two actresses share qualities that might allow someone to confuse them ... you know, like their first names!  :rolleyes:

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings