Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

LGBT Issues--

Princess of Tap

Can only one state impeach a President?

I have no idea.

Actually, the OK legislature passed a resolution requesting their US House delegation initiate impeachment proceedings against the president.  States cannot impeach any US official.

Can only one state impeach a President?

I have no idea.

Not really. The state legislature was voting on passing a measure that would call for their state's members in the federal House of Representatives to file articles of impeachment against the President, the Attorney General, and the Secretary of Education. These articles would then have to be passed by a majority of the members of the House, and then the accused would have a trial in the Senate.

It has no chance at passing. It's just a symbolic gesture to show their conservative constituents that they are "standing up for their beliefs."

The Asheville water system hullabaloo has finally reached

the N.C. Supreme Court after a number of lower court decisions

and appeals, etc. The Court has a GOP edge of 4-3, but I'm

not sure how they will vote on this issue. It will be a couple

of months before the decision is announced.

I don't know all the details, but the GOP is thinking about

impeaching the IRS Commissioner. That will give them

something to do until the summer recess.

And I'm sure EVERYBODY in Oklahoma "knows" that Obama has used his Executive Order powers more than ANY other President in history. ;)

(...uh-huh, just ask 'em...I'm sure they'll tell ya...the rubes) 

• 3 months later...

Breaking news on this front--

Both the NCAA and the NBA have pulled out of North Carolina for their tournaments. No March Madness for North Carolina.

In light of these lost $$$$$ and bad publicity - - there's some talk of an emergency session of the North Carolina legislature to ameliorate the situation.

It's hard to believe all this nonsense is occurring over something as simplistic as going to the bathroom.

Hillary Clinton has denounced the North Carolina bathroom law as being discriminatory.

Trump running mate Mike Pence refuses to denounce the North Carolina bathroom law. He simply says it's a matter for states rights.

Boys and girls, Where have we all heard that before?

Breaking news on this front--

Both the NCAA and the NBA have pulled out of North Carolina for their tournaments. No March Madness for North Carolina.

In light of these lost $$$$$ and bad publicity - - there's some talk of an emergency session of the North Carolina legislature to ameliorate the situation.

It's hard to believe all this nonsense is occurring over something as simplistic as going to the bathroom.

Hillary Clinton has denounced the North Carolina bathroom law as being discriminatory.

Trump running mate Mike Pence refuses to denounce the North Carolina bathroom law. He simply says it's a matter for states rights.

Boys and girls, Where have we all heard that before?

Ironically, S.C. is puting out bids with NCAA to host a multitude of athletic events now that the Confederate flag has been taken down.  As long as the flag was up, S.C. was not eligible for these events.  Incidentally, this includes soccer, baseball, golf, tennis, etc., not just basketball.

The Asheville water system hullabaloo has finally reached

the N.C. Supreme Court after a number of lower court decisions

and appeals, etc. The Court has a GOP edge of 4-3, but I'm

not sure how they will vote on this issue. It will be a couple

of months before the decision is announced.

I don't know all the details, but the GOP is thinking about

impeaching the IRS Commissioner. That will give them

something to do until the summer recess.

What hullabaloo?

It's a real bummer that the conversation on HB2 is focused on bathroom usage.  The primary concern over the law in North Carolina should be about the discriminatory nature toward a person's sexual orientation and that people can refuse service to a minority population with no legal recourse if a person feels they have been treated unfairly from others.

The head basketball coaches at Duke, North Carolina, and NC State have denounced the law as bad for their state.  These three guys carry a lot of weight, and you would think their opinions matter.  Duke had to change an opponent for one of its non-conference games because Albany (a public school) would not play them over this law.  I guess if you asked the players from UA, they might be in disagreement over New York's policy that public schools from their state would not be allowed to  participate in games played in North Carolina.  Other states have adopted the New York position, and Vermont's women's basketball team has scrapped its plans to play at North Carolina later this year.  Schools like Syracuse, St. John's, Siena, and Marist are private institutions that are not bound by New York's policy.

What's interesting is that practically every public college in America has in its mission/policy statement that discrimination is not acceptable or tolerated on many levels, which also includes a student's or prospective student's sexual orientation.  Non-sectarian private schools have adopted similar policies over the years.  As for religious-based schools, many do not include sexual orientation in their mission statements.  It is interesting that many Catholic schools do not discriminate over a person's sexual orientation, even though the Church itself will not officially accept a man or woman into the religion if they are openly gay.  I (as a Catholic) was pleasantly surprised to see that schools like Notre Dame, Gonzaga, Portland, St. Louis, Boston College, and Marquette included sexual orientation in their non-discrimination policies.

Earlier this summer, CBS Sports polled 100 college basketball coaches about North Carolina's HB2 law.  55% of them were against it.  45% were either in favor of it or didn't know enough about the law's contents to given an opinion.

What hullabaloo?

Those supposed GOP local control lovers in the legislature

passed a law to take over the Asheville water system and

create a regional one. Asheville took them to court. I think

they're still waiting for a legal resolution to the problem.

The legislature tried to do the same thing with the Charlotte

airport and take control of it from the city of Charlotte. I think

that has been resolved in Charlotte's favor.

The Atlantic Coast Conference of Presidents met and pulled all ACC conference championship events from NC.  To be played in other "non-HB2" states.

So what do you predict;  will the GOP in NC double down and stand firm or will they buckle to the economic loss and overturn (re-write), the law?

So what do you predict;  will the GOP in NC double down and stand firm or will they buckle to the economic loss and overturn (re-write), the law?

Probably need to ask Vautrin.  The GOPers in Southern legislatures can be pretty strong-willed about standing behind a law they passed.  It took a mass shooting in Charleston and the courage of the governor for S.C. to bring down the Confederate flag.  I watched the legislative debates on TV and it was very close.

S.C. had been under boycott by many organizations and companies for years and it had no effect on bringing the flag down.

Will be interesting to see if NC backs down since these pits the athletic fans and business community against many of the core members of the GOP.

My guess would be that the GOP will stick to its position

and not repeal or change the law in any significant way.

McCrory has already run ads touting the law, so it will

be hard to him to do a 180, and I doubt most of the

Republican legislators will be doing anything different.

All of them are pretty much locked into the law and time

is running out.

Yeah, I dont see them backing down. Dollars will go elsewhere. ENJOY! :D

I'm not a basketball fan, so to me it's rather theoretical.

I saw a quote from McCrory about how elite businesses

are trying to ride roughshod over the moral values of

North Carolinians.This from a guy who was an executive

at Duke Power for over twenty years.

While today basketball is the focus this boycott isn't going to be limited to only that sport but instead it will spread to other areas of commerce.   E.g. no major corporation (well other then Chick-fil-a) may hold a business conference in the state.     States like CA, or counties \ cities like L.A. might order government agencies to find other software vendors instead of  using SAS (a software I'm well versed in) etc..

AZ was going down a similar path and even right wing \ Trump supporter Jane Brewer vetoed a similar type law after AZ business interested lobbied her to do so.

But hey,  maybe folks in NC are a lot more stubborn as well as foolish. 

While today basketball is the focus this boycott isn't going to be limited to only that sport but instead it will spread to other areas of commerce.   E.g. no major corporation (well other then Chick-fil-a) may hold a business conference in the state.     States like CA, or counties \ cities like L.A. might order government agencies to find other software vendors instead of  using SAS (a software I'm well versed in) etc..

AZ was going down a similar path and even right wing \ Trump supporter Jane Brewer vetoed a similar type law after AZ business interested lobbied her to do so.

It's more than basketball; it's ALL ACC Sports.  ACC is pretty big into baseball, tennis and golf in this area.

The Southern Conference honchos are having a phone conference next week to discuss HB2 and will vote at that time whether to boycott NC or not.  While not big, a lot of SC and NC schools are in the SoCon and Asheville NC hosted the basketball tournaments.

It's more than basketball; it's ALL ACC Sports.  ACC is pretty big into baseball, tennis and golf in this area.

The Southern Conference honchos are having a phone conference next week to discuss HB2 and will vote at that time whether to boycott NC or not.  While not big, a lot of SC and NC schools are in the SoCon and Asheville NC hosted the basketball tournaments.

Thanks for that additional info;  Like I said,  it may take on a snowball effect causing even homophobic business people to rethink the state's position.

I doubt Hobby Lobby has much trouble with it either. I don't know

how far a boycott would go, and this is likely to end with a court

decision, though that may take some time. It's more the GOP

legislators who are being stubborn. I think it splits fairly down

the middle as far as the polls go, though I haven't checked then

recently.

LOL. Maybe businesses and ticket buyers will get tired of losing money and events and vote them out eventually. In the meantime, they can do w/out! :D

Archived