Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anthology Angst

CaveGirl

Yes, I fear and dread that anthology films will cease to be made and they are one of my favorite genres.

I enjoy things as melodramatic as "The Story of Three Loves" or as sublime as anything filmed from a Somerset Maugham tale.

If you are into anthology films which ones stick out in your mind as being the best of their genre?

My personal faves are things like "Tales from the Crypt" which was an Amicus presentation and I still cringe in horror when I think about the best tale of the five in the film, the one actually taken from an EC Vault of Horror comic called:

"… And All Through the House (The Vault of Horror #35) 

After Joanne Clayton (Joan Collins) kills her husband (Martin Boddey) on Christmas Eve, she prepares to hide his body but hears a radio announcement stating that a homicidal maniac (Oliver MacGreevy) is on the loose. She sees the killer (who is dressed in a Santa Claus costume) outside her house but cannot call the police without exposing her own crimes.

[spoilerS AHEAD!!!]

Believing the maniac to be Santa, Joanne's young daughter (Chloe Franks) unlocks the door and lets him into the house, whereupon he starts to strangle Joanne to death."

There's a long line of entertaining (to one degree or another) horror/suspense anthologies. Of course, you have Dead of Night (1945). Here are a few others:

Waxworks (1924)

Tales of Terror (1962)

Black Sabbath (1963)

Twice-Told Tales (1963)

Kwaidan (1964)

Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965)

Gallery of Horror (1967)

Torture Garden (1967)

Spirits of the Dead (1968)

The House That Dripped Blood (1971)

Asylum (1972)

Tales from the Crypt (1972)

Vault of Horror (1973)

From Beyond the Grave (1974)

Creepshow (1982)

Nightmares (1983)

Twilight Zone...The Movie (1983)

Cat's Eye (1985)

Creepshow 2 (1987)

From a Whisper to a Scream (1987)

Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)

Tales from the Hood (1995)

Three...Extremes (2004)

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

V/H/S (2012)

• Like 2

There's a long line of entertaining (to one degree or another) horror/suspense anthologies. Of course, you have Dead of Night (1945). Here are a few others:

Waxworks (1924)

Tales of Terror (1962)

Black Sabbath (1963)

Twice-Told Tales (1963)

Kwaidan (1964)

Gallery of Horror (1967)

Torture Garden (1967)

Asylum (1972)

Vault of Horror (1973)

Creepshow (1982)

Nightmares (1983)

Cat's Eye (1985)

Creepshow 2 (1987)

Three...Extremes (2004)

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

V/H/S (2012)

Great list, Lawrence!

I'm almost embarrassed to say that I own all but seven of those titles.

The Leni one, all the Amicus and Hammer ones and well, I did say I liked anthologies didn't I?

They're all great but particularly "Kwaidan". Did you mention "Trilogy of Terror" with Karen Black. It's so creepy too.

• Like 1

It Can't Be! (1975) is a wonderful comedy anthology. Credits state: "We do not know if these stories have ever happened but what you are about to see is 100% truth."

Yume (1990) is anthology of stories by: A. Kurosawa. I find it to be intensely personal. I fear that one must know much of the symbolism of Japanese culture to fully appreciate this lovely movie.

Tales of Terror from Tokyo and All Over Japan: The Movie (2004) is horror anthology. I am sorry to say that the only full version for viewing for free which I could find on: YouTube has subtitles in: Greek. I doubt that will be useful for most here.

"Kentucky Fried Movie" (1977) which spoofs Everything;  from the screenwriters of "Airplane!" (1980).  My favorite KFM skit is "That's Armageddon!".  Search "That's Armageddon!" on YT.

"...and Donald Sutherland as the Clumsy Waiter!"

• Like 1

"Kentucky Fried Movie" (1977) which spoofs Everything;  from the screenwriters of "Airplane!" (1980).  My favorite KFM skit is "That's Armageddon!".  Search "That's Armageddon!" on YT.

And then in this same vein, there's 1987's AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON.

• Like 2

Waxworks (1924)

Tales of Terror (1962)

Black Sabbath (1963)

Twice-Told Tales (1963)

Kwaidan (1964)

Gallery of Horror (1967)

Torture Garden (1967)

Asylum (1972)

Vault of Horror (1973)

Creepshow (1982)

Nightmares (1983)

Cat's Eye (1985)

Creepshow 2 (1987)

Three...Extremes (2004)

Trick 'r Treat (2007)

V/H/S (2012)

Nice list but I think that there are enough elements for FLESH AND FANTASY (1943) to also be included.

Richard Oswald directed two versions of Unheimliche Geschichten (aka Five Eerie Tales) in 1919 and 1932.

Have we got the Somerset Maugham movies listed yet?

QUARTET (1948)

TRIO (1950)

ENCORE (1951)

SCREAMS OF A WINTER NIGHT (1979) is sort of an anthology movie.  A group of mostly college-age kids travel to a remote cabin in Louisiana for a lil' bit of rest and relaxation.  They then decide to tell each other some scary stories upon arrival.  And there's also some history to the cabin they're staying at, too . . . history which is not pleasant.

Hey, throw THE GROOVE TUBE and AMAZON WOMEN ON THE MOON  into that mix, FL!

In GT you can catch very early film appearances of CHEVY CHASE and RICHARD BELZER.

The "Pirates" sketch in AWOTM is a funny sort of "nose thumb" at the notion of video "piracy" and attempts to thwart and stop it.

Sepiatone

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings