Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Okay, I'm not looking for a gore fest here and I admit that I really wanted to use the word "pitchfork" as a verb in my title.

But I also figure that if you want to pitchfork someone then you must reeeeeally dislike him. Like a lot. So it's not a bad word to use (and practical, too, if you happen to meet that character in a barn).

So are there any film characters that you so intensely loathed that you would like to see them have a major death of agony? At the very least, if you're not going to actually pitchfork them yourself, you would want to see someone else do it.

For myself, Bruce Dern in THE COWBOYS is most certainly pitchfork-worthy.

0c2748d3b8446aadb86eff467d48e994.jpg

• Like 1

Stephen McNally in Johnny Belinda

Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate

June Allyson

Lawrence, you neglected to mention in what film you'd like to pitchfork June Allyson.

Oh, wait, I get it.

• Like 2

Right now I'd love to pitchfork everyone in Everyone Sing except for Judy Garland.  

Billie Burke I usually want to pitchfork in all of her films, except for The Wizard of Oz.  Her "sing-songy" voice is irritating.  

Fanny Brice is in this film right now pretending to be a baby (I know that "Baby Snooks" was her thing), but this is incredibly irritating and not funny, she gets "the fork." 

• Like 1

Fanny Brice is in this film right now pretending to be a baby (I know that "Baby Snooks" was her thing), but this is incredibly irritating and not funny, she gets "the fork." 

Fanny_Brice_Baby_Snooks_1940.JPG

"Boy, am I excited. I'm getting forked!"

• Like 2

The TCM programmer who got the Frenchman's Creek print and said, "This is good enough."

• Like 6

Stephen McNally in Johnny Belinda

Angela Lansbury in The Manchurian Candidate

June Allyson

:P I noticed you did not bother to list a specific film for June...

Yeah. I'd give the pitchfork some use on that miserly and devious old dude who owns the bank in Bedford Falls, alright!

(...and I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get many of you to join in with me on this, now would it?!)

;)

• Like 4

Charles Winninger in Little Nellie Kelly.  His character of the grandfather is beyond irritating. Completely unreasonable and not likable.  Judy Garland is the only reason to watch this movie.

• Like 2

All three husbands in HUSBANDS. Although since they are in London, having them run over by a double decker bus might be more economical than searching out a pitchfork.

What a funny thread title, Tom ! 

I'm sure there are many, but off-hand, Julie Harris' character in Member of the Wedding (the ultimate self-absorbed adolescent angsty whiner), and Felix Ungar in The Odd Couple, especially when he's trying to clear his sinuses.

Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946). (To tell the truth, I developed a sort of aversion towards Miss Stanwyck after watching this film, for some odd reason. Generally, I am very good at separating the actor from the character, but this was not the case for this one. Then, I saw her in Christmas in Connecticut and realized she was adorable and talented).

Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark in The Bad Seed (1956). No child, let alone person, should be this emotionless and conniving.

Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa Lund in Casablanca (1942). Of all the gin joins, in all the towns, in all the world, you just had to walk into Rick's. And break his heart all over again. I'm not bitter.

• Like 2

What a funny thread title, Tom ! 

To tell you the truth, MissW, I was chuckling as I typed it. There's a certain cathartic quality about fantasizing about pitchforking someone that appeals to me (not to mention the mental imagery that goes with it).

Let's face it, after a hard day at the office or a hard day at anything in which you're feeling lots of pent up tension, who wouldn't want some six foot rag doll or something that you could go home to and just pitchfork. And then pitchfork the damn thing again!

Well, here we can write about doing it with a film character.

• Like 1

Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa Lund in Casablanca (1942). Of all the gin joins, in all the towns, in all the world, you just had to walk into Rick's. And break his heart all over again. I'm not bitter.

You want to pitchfork Ilsa??? Even Rick didn't feel that bitter about her (though he probably wouldn't have minded giving her a good slap across the face).

400px-TF69_2.jpg

Do you remember the scene about to come up here in The Fighting 69th, with Jimmy Cagney bayoneting the canvas bag while fantasizing out loud that it's drill sergeant Alan Hale? Okay, he's using a bayonet rather than a pitchfork. Still . . .

THAT'S THE SPIRIT!

• Like 3

You want to pitchfork Ilsa??? Even Rick didn't feel that bitter about her (though he probably wouldn't have minded giving her a good slap across the face).

Maybe not pitchfork her, but this is the only forum (so far) that I've found that's recent, and has to deal with characters you dislike lol. For some reason, I just dislike her intensely.

Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers in The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946). (To tell the truth, I developed a sort of aversion towards Miss Stanwyck after watching this film, for some odd reason. Generally, I am very good at separating the actor from the character, but this was not the case for this one. Then, I saw her in Christmas in Connecticut and realized she was adorable and talented).

Patty McCormack as Rhoda Penmark in The Bad Seed (1956). No child, let alone person, should be this emotionless and conniving.

Your screen name reminds  me that I'd like to pitchfork Nick Charles. Except for certain films, such as LOVE CRAZY and LIFE WITH FATHER, I'm not a fan of William Powell.

Your screen name reminds  me that I'd like to pitchfork Nick Charles. Except for certain films, such as LOVE CRAZY and LIFE WITH FATHER, I'm not a fan of William Powell.

Careful. But might get a martini in your face.

Careful. But might get a martini in your face.

..and the ever-present martini is part of the problem. Alcohol dependence is considered a joke.

..and the ever-present martini is part of the problem. Alcohol dependence is considered a joke.

Not when you get it in the eyes.

Interesting example you give.  I love Powell, and yet one of the few movies I don't like is the example you give - Life with Father. 

Mickey Rooney in Thoroughbreds Don't Cry which I could not complete because he irritated me

Mickey Rooney in Breakfast at Tiffany's as well as the person who had the bright idea to cast him as a Japanese

• Like 1