Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

2 hours ago, hamradio said:

Hey ham! Can you name the actor who played the Colonel character that Spade Cooley talks to in this video?

Here's a hint: After his days as a B-movie character actor were over, he'd become a mainstay as an announcer, primarily in the sports field, on early television Los Angeles broadcasts, and was actually the originator of the catchphrase "Whoa Nellie" years before sportscaster Keith Jackson would become better known for it. I remember seeing and hearing him quite a lot on that old Philco TV set of ours while growing up in L.A. in the '50s and '60s.

(...and yeah, you're right...Ken Curtis had a nice singing voice, alright)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Hey ham! Can you name the actor who played the Colonel character that Spade Cooley talks to in this video?

Here's a hint: After his days as a B-movie character actor were over, he'd become a mainstay as an announcer, primarily in the sports field, on early television Los Angeles broadcasts, and was actually the originator of the catchphrase "Whoa Nellie" years before sportscaster Keith Jackson would become better known for it. I remember seeing and hearing him quite a lot on that old Philco TV set of ours while growing up in L.A. in the '50s and '60s.

(...and yeah, you're right...Ken Curtis had a nice singing voice, alright)

Keith Jackson

la-1515863000-pp86y09qd6-snap-image

30 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Keith Jackson

la-1515863000-pp86y09qd6-snap-image

Yeah, that's Keith Jackson alright, ham.

But once again, can you name the actor who played the "Colonel" that sat next to Spade Cooley in that video you posted above?

Tell ya what. I'll give ya another little hint here: Some of us teenagers in L.A. back then used to "park and spark" with our girlfriends up on Mulholland Drive, but a buddy of mine at the time used to refer to that road by another and far more "suggestive" name because of that, and that's the name of this actor I'm asking you to name here!

(...yeah yeah, I know, not much help here, huh...BUT, when I TELL you this actor/early television Los Angeles sports announcer's name, I think you'll get a real kick out of this IF I know your sense of humor at all) ;) 

5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, that's Keith Jackson alright, ham.

But once again, can you name the actor who played the "Colonel" that sat next to Spade Cooley in that video you posted above?

Tell ya what. I'll give ya another little hint here: Some of us teenagers in L.A. back then used to "park and spark" with our girlfriends up on Mulholland Drive, but a buddy of mine at the time used to refer to that road by another and far more "suggestive" name because of that, and that's the name of this actor I'm asking you to name here!

(...yeah yeah, I know, not much help here, huh...BUT, when I TELL you this actor's name, I think you'll get a real kick out of this IF I know your sense of humor at all) ;) 

You got me stumped there.

8 minutes ago, hamradio said:

You got me stumped there.

Okay, then here's the guy's Wiki bio page here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Lane_(announcer)

Get IT? "Dick Lane"! ;)

(...and ALSO known as Richard Lane when he was a contract actor at Columbia and Paramount studios B-movie divisions...he was in well over a hundred movies during his film career as you'll see if you'll click on that Wiki link above)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, then here's the guy's Wiki bio page here...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Lane_(announcer)

Get IT? "Dick Lane"! ;)

(...and ALSO known as Richard Lane when he was a contract actor at Columbia and Paramount studios B-movie divisions...he was in well over a hundred movies during his film career as you'll see if you'll click on that Wiki link above)

Good old Inspector Farraday.

image.jpeg.c92bd62780ef50551ea194619f3e510f.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dargo said:

Get IT? "Dick Lane"! ;)

Heh!   Wonder if that guy's any relation to the LPHS class of 69's "Class Clown" GARY BRAZILL, who once, in a class after the teacher used the word "cockamamie" , raised his furiously waving arm and when called on, asked, "Who's MAMIE?"  and yeah, class was over for him then.  Got sent to Mr. Cuzzo's office.  :o  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

That man Figlia (played by Lee J. Cobb) in the upcoming offering of Thieve's Highway on Noir Alley could use a few pokes.

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...yeah yeah, I know, not much help here, huh...BUT, when I TELL you this actor/early television Los Angeles sports announcer's name, I think you'll get a real kick out of this IF I know your sense of humor at all) ;) 

This is rather a coincidence, an astonishing one perhaps. I just comment to the NY Times on an article about Roller Derby in which I mentioned Dick Lane as the announcer for that dubious and all but defunct sport. He may have been on KTLA but I remember him from XETV, channel 6, a San Diego station whose signal came from Tijuana. Dick Lane also did Jai Alai from Tijuana from time to time, at least I believe he did. There was another announcer who did most of the Jai Alai whose name I cannot remember. I'm referring the middle 50s, so you might have been a little too young to remember ... son. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

This is rather a coincidence, an astonishing one perhaps. I just comment to the NY Times on an article about Roller Derby in which I mentioned Dick Lane as the announcer for that dubious and all but defunct sport. He may have been on KTLA but I remember him from XETV, channel 6, a San Diego station whose signal came from Tijuana. Dick Lane also did Jai Alai from Tijuana from time to time, at least I believe he did. There was another announcer who did most of the Jai Alai whose name I cannot remember. I'm referring the middle 50s, so you might have been a little too young to remember ... son. :D

L.A. station KNXT (CBS) had another actor become an announcer;  Gil Stratton,  best known as Holden's sidekick in Stalag 17.

I grew up watching Statton and didn't know about him being an actor until I got into studio-era films and saw Stalag 17 (about 20 years after those days watching him on KNXT).

Image result for gil stratton

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

L.A. station KNXT (CBS) had another actor become an announcer;  Gil Stratton,  best known as Holden's sidekick in Stalag 17.

I grew up watching Statton and didn't know about him being an actor until I got into studio-era films and saw Stalag 17 (about 20 years after those days watching him on KTLA).

Image result for gil stratton

Oh yeah James, I too remember Gil presenting the Sports on KNXT's (now KCBS) The Big News back then.

I especially remember he seemed to really be into the whole horse racing thing, as there was never a broadcast of his which didn't include a showing of some race as they came down the stretch at either Hollywood Park or Santa Anita. Probably was because horse racing was much more popular than it is today.

(...and I also think this was probably the reason that for years I thought he might've been an ex-jockey, as he was a fairly diminutive little guy, and this of course and just like yourself, being a time before I'd catch him on the tube in Stalag 17 or as one of Brando's fellow bikes in The Wild One)

• Like 1

Some guys made some memorable, and not so memorable appearances in a few movies and became more familiar( and well loved) celebrities for some kind of TV announcing or radio work in other venues and locations. Example...

I've often mentioned BILL KENNEDY, who appeared both credited and un credited in  about 61 or so movies.  He, by the 1960's became the most watched and respected movie host in the Detroit area, first broadcasting from the CKLW television studios in WINDSOR, ONT. Canada, and moving to Detroit area's WKBD uhf by the beginning of the '70's and retiring shortly thereafter.  Over the years I've spotted him in episodes of THE LONE RANGER and THE CISCO KID and learned it was HIM who exclaimed, "Faster than a speeding bullet.... etc." in the old SUPERMAN TV series in the '50's.  He's even appeared in an episode or two for a bit.  But he always reminded his audience that his "pride and joy" was his appearance as INGRID BERGMAN'S executioner in JOAN OF ARC('48).  He's actually most responsible for my interest in "classic" movies and some of that "useless trivial information" ;)  we bounce around here. 

Sepiatone

Margaret Sullavan in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER. What a snob!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Margaret Sullavan in THE SHOP AROUND THE CORNER. What a snob!

Yep! And not only a snob, but too damn sensitive and a poor sport to boot.

I still like that movie though, and actually think she's pretty good in it.

(...btw...I'll never understand what in real life both Jimmy and Hank Fonda found so irresistibly attractive about Margaret) 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yep! And not only a snob, but too damn sensitive and a poor sport to boot.

I still like that movie though, and actually think she's pretty good in it.

(...btw...I'll never understand what in real life both Jimmy and Hank Fonda found so irresistibly attractive about Margaret) 

She was also married to the great Warner Brothers director William Wyler.

( Reportedly he was the love of Bette Davis' life, but Willie's wife didn't know anything about it when she showed up at his funeral.)

Hooray for Hollywood!

• Like 1

Bruce Willis in any of a number of forgettable action films of the last fifteen years or so in which he makes zero effort at trying to give a performance. This is a shame since he did show years ago that he was an actor with considerable talent.

Lee Bowman -- why is Rita Hayworth interested in him when Gene Kelly's around?  And in the other Hayworth movie Tonight and Every Night he makes up all these excuses to get her to his apartment -- what's so swell about him that any woman would fall for him?  I find him rather smug and full of himself.  No wonder Susan Hayward was driven to drink in Smash Up.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, rosebette said:

Lee Bowman -- why is Rita Hayworth interested in him when Gene Kelly's around?  And in the other Hayworth movie Tonight and Every Night he makes up all these excuses to get her to his apartment -- what's so swell about him that any woman would fall for him?  I find him rather smug and full of himself.  No wonder Susan Hayward was driven to drink in Smash Up.  

I recall seeing Lee Bowman get into some kind of physical dust up with someone in some movie. It wasn't much of a fight but he lost. I liked that. You sound like you would have, too, rosebette.

General Leone from Many Wars Ago. What a proto-Fascist bastard.

4323b.jpg

Easy to send your men to death when you don't do the fighting.

17 hours ago, rosebette said:

Dont forget his smug full of himself character in My Dream Is Yours....

Lee Bowman was also in "Last Train From Madrid", a 1937 Paramount picture that featured a lot of young talent on display (Anthony Quinn, Dorothy Lamour, Lew Ayres, Gilbert Roland, Karen Morley, Robert Cummings, and Alan Ladd).  TCM showed it as a premier in August, 2018 during someone's SUTS Day (could have been Quinn or Ayres...I can't recall).

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I would contend the entire cast of "The Shop Around The Corner" deserves to be pitchforked.  There is nothing about the movie I find endearing at all.  Sullavan and Stewart are so mean to each other before they discover their 'true feelings' toward one another, but the romance seems forced to me, and therefore doomed.  In 1940, Hollywood demanded a happy ending.  If this flick were made today, one person of the tryst would have left Balta Street in the dust and high-tailed it to Reno, but fast!  I will also say the 1948 re-make called, "The Good Old Summertime" where Judy Garland and Van Johnson were the antagonistic lovers was equally unsatisfying to me.

Just now, midwestan said:

In keeping with the spirit of the thread, I would contend the entire cast of "The Shop Around The Corner" deserves to be pitchforked.  There is nothing about the movie I find endearing at all.  Sullavan and Stewart are so mean to each other before they discover their 'true feelings' toward one another, but the romance seems forced to me, and therefore doomed.  In 1940, Hollywood demanded a happy ending.  If this flick were made today, one person of the tryst would have left Balta Street in the dust and high-tailed it to Reno, but fast!  I will also say the 1948 re-make called, "The Good Old Summertime" where Judy Garland and Van Johnson were the antagonistic lovers was equally unsatisfying to me.

Did you miss You've Got Mail (1998)? I wish I had.

• Haha 2