Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Did you miss You've Got Mail (1998)? I wish I had.

I think the late 90's was the last time I saw a movie in a theater.  I liked "There's Something About Mary".  I thought "Saving Private Ryan" was so-so.  I hated "Austin Powers:  Man of Mystery".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I hated "Austin Powers:  Man of Mystery".

220px-Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

"But surely you wouldn't pitchfork me, BABY!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TomJH said:

220px-Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

"But surely you wouldn't pitchfork me, BABY!"

Naw, my conscience has signed a non-aggression pact with the rest of my body, unless of course my inner 'young buck' wants to lace up the boots and go two out of three falls against...oh, I don't know...Tor Johnson?  😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care much for pitchforks but maybe a swift kick in the***

-- no better make that two or three for Raymond Massey's character in "East of Eden".

But I kind of like the scene where the good son freaks out, gets drunk and joins the World War 1 army. As the train is pulling out of the station, he sees his father  and his drunken head goes right through the glass in the window.

  Raymond Massey sees all of this and has a massive stroke.

That scene makes me feel really good. This scenario is so good that I don't even mind Burl Ives' biblical pontificating to explain the title for all high school students who have to write a Steinbeck essay for English class,  but haven't read the book.

From what I've heard, Raymond Massey wasn't acting too much when he showed his disdain for James Dean in the movie.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massey on Dean:  "Jimmy was studying The Method.  It might have messed him up as much as Monty Clift if he lived longer."

Nice.  (I paraphrase this from memory reading it sometime ago.)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Massey also said, I recall, that Jo Van Fleet blew Dean away with her talent in their scenes.   Said Dean couldn't keep up with her she was so good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 4:28 PM, RoyCronin said:

Massey also said, I recall, that Jo Van Fleet blew Dean away with her talent in their scenes.   Said Dean couldn't keep up with her she was so good.

Massey was much more comfortable with an actor Like Richard Chamberlain, whom he worked with for several years on the TV show "Dr. Kildare". Dick was a neophyte who soaked up all the mentoring that Massey wanted to give him. It was a situation that Massey obviously enjoyed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 4:13 PM, Hibi said:

Dont forget his smug full of himself character in My Dream Is Yours....

Thank you for informing me so I can plan on doing something else if it ever comes on TCM.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw The Long Night a week and a half ago, and Vincent Price's character deserved the pitchfork.  A quick death by shooting was too quick and merciful for the torture that slimy character put Fonda and the two women in the film through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most people would go with Bette's Regina in The Little Foxes but I would go with Charles Dingle's Ben Hubbard. He was such a sneaky little crumb.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, vidorisking said:

Most people would go with Bette's Regina in The Little Foxes but I would go with Charles Dingle's Ben Hubbard. He was such a sneaky little crumb.

I agree with you.    

Image result for charles dingle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2016 at 11:17 AM, CaveGirl said:

Tom Cruise playing himself in anything, which is all his movies!

Thanks for concurring, Stephan!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, midwestan said:

I think the late 90's was the last time I saw a movie in a theater.

I have eschewed the big screen as well. My last was The Talented Mr. Ripley (which I liked) on Jan 4 2000. I remember the date because I thought it would be novel to celebrate not having seen the inside of a theater during the 90s, the last having been The Field of Dreams (which I didn't like) sometime in 1989. I have been to a few revival houses with big screens though.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I don't care much for pitchforks but maybe a swift kick in the***

I'm with you on this. The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition. Like you, I would favor grand coup  de pieds dans le derriere. As you undoubtedly know that's what Candide got when he was banished from <<La Chateau de Monsieur Le Baron de Thunder-den-Tronk>> and it has been one of my favorite expressions ever since. Hmm, I just now see the word derriere dates from 1765 but Candide was published 1n 1759. It must have taken the L'Academie Francaise six years to notice it. ha.

///

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, laffite said:

The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition.

I understand the sensitivity some may have to the thread title but when I created it I thought it was funny more than anything else. I chuckled at the thought of using "pitchfork" as a verb.

But, considering the lengthy list of replies it has produced, the title also brings out the blood lust in some, I suppose, as well as, more likely, a safe way to just let off some steam for others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

but when I created it I thought it was funny more than anything else

Well, that's a relief.

But I see your point. The idea behind pitchforking someone goes far beyond the cliche "someone you love to hate" (for instance) and does promote the of idea of "bloodlust" which will strike the heart of just about everybody (to varying degrees anyway). So it's a good hook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, that's a relief.

But I see your point. The idea behind pitchforking someone goes far beyond the cliche "someone you love to hate" (for instance) and does promote the of idea of "bloodlust" which will strike the heart of just about everybody (to varying degrees anyway). So it's a good hook. 

Dracula8.png

"It strikes my heart. And it makes me rather thirsty, too."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Dracula8.png

"It strikes my heart. And it makes me rather thirsty, too."

 

Well, you won't get a drink at my house. Besides, I have a pitchfork with your name on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, you won't get a drink at my house. Besides, I have a pitchfork with your name on it.

z040417lugosi_dracula_broadway.png

"Your home hosting skills could use a little work."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, laffite said:

I have eschewed the big screen as well. My last was The Talented Mr. Ripley (which I liked) on Jan 4 2000. I remember the date because I thought it would be novel to celebrate not having seen the inside of a theater during the 90s, the last having been The Field of Dreams (which I didn't like) sometime in 1989. I have been to a few revival houses with big screens though.

I'm with you on this. The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition. Like you, I would favor grand coup  de pieds dans le derriere. As you undoubtedly know that's what Candide got when he was banished from <<La Chateau de Monsieur Le Baron de Thunder-den-Tronk>> and it has been one of my favorite expressions ever since. Hmm, I just now see the word derriere dates from 1765 but Candide was published 1n 1759. It must have taken the L'Academie Francaise six years to notice it. ha.

///

Mon cul!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Mon cul!

Ma foi, madame la princess, je ne comprends pas du tout le vehemence de votre reponse. Veuillez me donner l'honneur de m'en expliquer. Je vous en prie. La curiosite me devore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, laffite said:

Ma foi, madame la princess, je ne comprends pas du tous le vehemence de votre reponse. Veuillez me donner l'honneur de vous expliquer. Je vous en prie. La curiosite me devore.

C' etait drole. A Paris, ca fait les gens a rire ou a moins sourire.....

So I think it's a cultural thing. 

( My accents are invisible LOL)

 BTW-- And your French is exquisite. You write like you belong in the Academy.

I spent too much time in the Latin Quarter and, unfortunately that's the way I talk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...