Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Did you miss You've Got Mail (1998)? I wish I had.

I think the late 90's was the last time I saw a movie in a theater.  I liked "There's Something About Mary".  I thought "Saving Private Ryan" was so-so.  I hated "Austin Powers:  Man of Mystery".

Just now, TomJH said:

220px-Mike-Myers-Austin-Powers-1-.jpg

"But surely you wouldn't pitchfork me, BABY!"

Naw, my conscience has signed a non-aggression pact with the rest of my body, unless of course my inner 'young buck' wants to lace up the boots and go two out of three falls against...oh, I don't know...Tor Johnson?  😄

I don't care much for pitchforks but maybe a swift kick in the***

-- no better make that two or three for Raymond Massey's character in "East of Eden".

But I kind of like the scene where the good son freaks out, gets drunk and joins the World War 1 army. As the train is pulling out of the station, he sees his father  and his drunken head goes right through the glass in the window.

Raymond Massey sees all of this and has a massive stroke.

That scene makes me feel really good. This scenario is so good that I don't even mind Burl Ives' biblical pontificating to explain the title for all high school students who have to write a Steinbeck essay for English class,  but haven't read the book.

From what I've heard, Raymond Massey wasn't acting too much when he showed his disdain for James Dean in the movie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 8/10/2019 at 4:28 PM, RoyCronin said:

Massey also said, I recall, that Jo Van Fleet blew Dean away with her talent in their scenes.   Said Dean couldn't keep up with her she was so good.

Massey was much more comfortable with an actor Like Richard Chamberlain, whom he worked with for several years on the TV show "Dr. Kildare". Dick was a neophyte who soaked up all the mentoring that Massey wanted to give him. It was a situation that Massey obviously enjoyed.

I just saw The Long Night a week and a half ago, and Vincent Price's character deserved the pitchfork.  A quick death by shooting was too quick and merciful for the torture that slimy character put Fonda and the two women in the film through.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:06 PM, midwestan said:

I think the late 90's was the last time I saw a movie in a theater.

I have eschewed the big screen as well. My last was The Talented Mr. Ripley (which I liked) on Jan 4 2000. I remember the date because I thought it would be novel to celebrate not having seen the inside of a theater during the 90s, the last having been The Field of Dreams (which I didn't like) sometime in 1989. I have been to a few revival houses with big screens though.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I don't care much for pitchforks but maybe a swift kick in the***

I'm with you on this. The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition. Like you, I would favor grand coup  de pieds dans le derriere. As you undoubtedly know that's what Candide got when he was banished from <<La Chateau de Monsieur Le Baron de Thunder-den-Tronk>> and it has been one of my favorite expressions ever since. Hmm, I just now see the word derriere dates from 1765 but Candide was published 1n 1759. It must have taken the L'Academie Francaise six years to notice it. ha.

///

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, laffite said:

The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition.

I understand the sensitivity some may have to the thread title but when I created it I thought it was funny more than anything else. I chuckled at the thought of using "pitchfork" as a verb.

But, considering the lengthy list of replies it has produced, the title also brings out the blood lust in some, I suppose, as well as, more likely, a safe way to just let off some steam for others.

8 minutes ago, TomJH said:

but when I created it I thought it was funny more than anything else

Well, that's a relief.

But I see your point. The idea behind pitchforking someone goes far beyond the cliche "someone you love to hate" (for instance) and does promote the of idea of "bloodlust" which will strike the heart of just about everybody (to varying degrees anyway). So it's a good hook. 

4 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, that's a relief.

But I see your point. The idea behind pitchforking someone goes far beyond the cliche "someone you love to hate" (for instance) and does promote the of idea of "bloodlust" which will strike the heart of just about everybody (to varying degrees anyway). So it's a good hook. 

Dracula8.png

"It strikes my heart. And it makes me rather thirsty, too."

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

Well, you won't get a drink at my house. Besides, I have a pitchfork with your name on it.

z040417lugosi_dracula_broadway.png

"Your home hosting skills could use a little work."

2 hours ago, laffite said:

I have eschewed the big screen as well. My last was The Talented Mr. Ripley (which I liked) on Jan 4 2000. I remember the date because I thought it would be novel to celebrate not having seen the inside of a theater during the 90s, the last having been The Field of Dreams (which I didn't like) sometime in 1989. I have been to a few revival houses with big screens though.

I'm with you on this. The title of this thread is just too graphic for my now fragile disposition. Like you, I would favor grand coup  de pieds dans le derriere. As you undoubtedly know that's what Candide got when he was banished from <<La Chateau de Monsieur Le Baron de Thunder-den-Tronk>> and it has been one of my favorite expressions ever since. Hmm, I just now see the word derriere dates from 1765 but Candide was published 1n 1759. It must have taken the L'Academie Francaise six years to notice it. ha.

///

Mon cul!

On 8/16/2019 at 2:37 PM, Princess of Tap said:

Mon cul!

Ma foi, madame la princess, je ne comprends pas du tout le vehemence de votre reponse. Veuillez me donner l'honneur de m'en expliquer. Je vous en prie. La curiosite me devore.

13 minutes ago, laffite said:

Ma foi, madame la princess, je ne comprends pas du tous le vehemence de votre reponse. Veuillez me donner l'honneur de vous expliquer. Je vous en prie. La curiosite me devore.

C' etait drole. A Paris, ca fait les gens a rire ou a moins sourire.....

So I think it's a cultural thing. 

( My accents are invisible LOL)

BTW-- And your French is exquisite. You write like you belong in the Academy.

I spent too much time in the Latin Quarter and, unfortunately that's the way I talk.