Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, TomJH said:

z040417lugosi_dracula_broadway.png

"Your home hosting skills could use a little work."

I am not generally known for my hospitality. Nor does The Law of Hospitality hold sway in our modern world. Neither beggars, noblemen, nor weary traveler, nor waif of uncertain origin, (and especially) nor bloody dudes like you of decidedly unfriendly countenance, may petition or otherwise invoke that archaic practice.

Now if you can wear a smile and pledge good will, I may relent. But remember, I have pitchforks. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, laffite said:

I am not generally known for my hospitality. Nor does The Law of Hospitality hold sway in our modern world. Neither beggars, noblemen, nor weary traveler, nor waif of uncertain origin, (and especially) nor bloody dudes like you of decidedly unfriendly countenance, may petition or otherwise invoke that archaic practice.

Now if you can wear a smile and pledge good will, I may relent. But remember, I have pitchforks. :D

04761e6994eb91286441abb3b658b8ce.jpg

"You want smile? I give you smile. Now let me in your damn house! But keep those pitchforks away!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/16/2019 at 11:45 PM, TomJH said:

"But keep those pitchforks away!"

"I'm sorry, Dave (oops, I mean Bela), I'm afraid I can't do that."

kSp492m.png

You see, Bela, my collection is the cream

of the known world, forged in the finest

mines, and constructed with pure Valyrian steel.

They have the same properties of the traditional

stake which, as you know, are designed especially

to be plunged into the chest of YOUR kind.

These are my pride and joy, my babies, and

I cannot keep them away.

They are particularly effective on those who

have patently UNFRIENDLY smiles. You'll

never get to emcee the Oscars with that one.

:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

Why can't a woman be more like a man?

my+fair+lady+henry+higgins+rex+harrison.

Quote

jamesjazzguitar then says:

There is a solution for this dilemma.

Ahem...I'm pretty sure doctors use scalpels not pitchforks in gender reassignment surgery, James. 

(...if that's what you're gettin' at here)  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ahem...I'm pretty sure doctors use scalpels not pitchforks in gender reassignment surgery, James. 

(...if that's what you're gettin' at here)  ;)

Well, I was quoting from the film. I would pitchfork Mr. Higgins for being such a jerk. Not talking plumbing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

Well, I was quoting from the film. I would pitchfork Mr. Higgins for being such a jerk. Not talking plumbing. 

Yeah, I got it, M.R., but wasn't sure if James' reply was meant more comically to be in the "plumbing" department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Ahem...I'm pretty sure doctors use scalpels not pitchforks in gender reassignment surgery, James. 

(...if that's what you're gettin' at here)  ;)

I was calling for a much simpler solution;   date a man! 

(this is especially true for Higgins since he appears to have no sexual interest in Eliza).

Watched some of the end of My Fair Lady last night and,  yea,  I wanted to pitchfork him.

I think Higgins comes off more harshly and is a bigger jerk in MFL than in Pygmalion (and how Leslie Howard played the character).       

    

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Higgins did seem like a bit of a fruit. It is hard to imagine the lower class Eliza would actually want someone as dainty and bourgeois as him. It's better that in the original play they don't get together. It kind of misses the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, somebody I can pitchfork.

Lavinia Penniman. can't stand her. Meddling beech. Silly romantic and conniving matchmaker. For her own amusement and at Catherine's expense. After pitchforking, hung upside down in Washington Square and pelted with hot pretzels for three days before being flung off the Brooklyn Bridge.

This was my first pitchforking (et al) on this thread.

:)

///

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, laffite said:

Finally, somebody I can pitchfork.

Lavinia Penniman. can't stand her. Meddling beech. Silly romantic and conniving matchmaker. For her own amusement and at Catherine's expense. After pitchforking, hung upside down in Washington Square and pelted with hot pretzels for three days before being flung off the Brooklyn Bridge.

This was my first pitchforking (et al) on this thread.

:)

///

Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Who?

homenoirhopkins1.jpg

I had to look her up. Not exactly a household name but easy enough to dislike.

Miriam Hopkins' character in The Heiress.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, laffite said:

Finally, somebody I can pitchfork.

Lavinia Penniman. can't stand her. Meddling beech. Silly romantic and conniving matchmaker. For her own amusement and at Catherine's expense. After pitchforking, hung upside down in Washington Square and pelted with hot pretzels for three days before being flung off the Brooklyn Bridge.

This was my first pitchforking (et al) on this thread.

:)

///

Selecting a Miriam Hopkins character for your first pitchforking is a very good place to start.

While Hopkins doesn't have as many "pitchforkable" characters as, say, Shelley Winters,  Hopkins has some classic ones.

Here are some others: 

   image.jpeg.b7d822d6ce9f95287f2114525c4c13be.jpeg Image result for miriam hopkins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

While Hopkins doesn't have as many "pitchforkable" characters as, say, Shelley Winters,  Hopkins has some classic ones.

...including (to name another) Olivier's wife in Carrie (1952). He might have considered murdering her before running off with Jennifer Jones. It's possible that the first picture you posted is from that movie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, laffite said:

...including (to name another) Olivier's wife in Carrie (1952). He might have considered murdering her before running off with Jennifer Jones. It's possible that the first picture you posted is from that movie.

I believe that is Aunt Lily from The Children's Hour (but maybe I selected the wrong image).  

Of course Lavinia Penniman is also an aunt.     With aunts like that one needs raid.

For balance I wish to point out I'm a big fan of Hopkins;  She plays vamp roles well;

image.jpeg.d1df6bb798bf5ded45b4d62a536c0138.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

For balance I wish to point out I'm a big fan of Hopkins

I am too, actually. She's a real cutie early on. There was no scenery left for being massively chewed in Old Acquaintance (or was it the other movie with Bette) by hungry Mariam. Remember that? She may have been directed to do that but I doubt it. She really needed to be reigned in on that one. I feel there is movie she did where I really, really, really, liked her .... but it escapes me. Shucks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bette decided to shake Miriam rather than using the pitchfork....

tumblr_o5ieyo5O871sprhbeo1_500.gif

It always struck me as odd that in the remake they had the leads have a tug of war over a teddy bear that ripped open instead of the shaking, arguably the best known scene in the original film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, laffite said:

I am too, actually. She's a real cutie early on. There was no scenery left for being massively chewed in Old Acquaintance (or was it the other movie with Bette) by hungry Mariam. Remember that? She may have been directed to do that but I doubt it. She really needed to be reigned in on that one. I feel there is movie she did where I really, really, really, liked her .... but it escapes me. Shucks.

I really, really liked her in Trouble in Paradise.    In this film her energy was just right and it contrasted well with that of the other female star,  Kay Francis.

 image.jpeg.6e1ce6e75b29e58fdf45bc13e80861e2.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Bette decided to shake Miriam rather than using the pitchfork....

tumblr_o5ieyo5O871sprhbeo1_500.gif

It always struck me as odd that in the remake they had the leads have a tug of war over a teddy bear that ripped open instead of the shaking, arguably the best known scene in the original film.

I agree,  especially since few from your generation would have known it was taken from the original other than you.   (wink \ wink).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tumblr_o5ieyo5O871sprhbeo1_500.gif

...and she really deserved it too. This was all the more surprising because Bette was a model of  self-controlled maturity in that film. This qualifies as a real act of violence for her character.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I really, really liked her in Trouble in Paradise.    In this film her energy was just right and it contrasted well with that of the other female star,  Kay Francis.

 image.jpeg.6e1ce6e75b29e58fdf45bc13e80861e2.jpeg

She was a real beauty and this was probably her best performance. I don't think she's necessarily "pitchforkable" in it though. 

image.jpeg.6e1ce6e75b29e58fdf45bc13e8086

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miriam Hopkins was an excellent, sensual Ivy in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

6a00d83451cb7469e201b7c8a0f670970b-600wi

But getting to know Mr. Hyde in that film was worse for her than encountering any pitchfork.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, TomJH said:

I had to look her up. Not exactly a household name but easy enough to dislike.

Miriam Hopkins' character in The Heiress.

I have an exalted view (quite justified) of your (and Lawrence and others) vast knowledge of things (much more than me) and was surprised that you were caught off guard. I thought Washington Square might give it away as this was the title of the novel (by Henry James) on which The Heiress was based. I just happen to be reading the novel presently. It was while reading that the notion came upon me that Penneman was of pitchfork status. (There was earlier movie with the same title as the novel starring Albert Finny, Jennifer Jason Leigh, and Maggie Smith that i remember not liking.) Mrs Penneman is much worse in the book.. At least in The Heiress, she has at times a genuine though mushy happiness that Catharine will have a romance and there is at least something nice about (though annoying too) but there is little of that present in the book. When her father takes his daughter to Europe to make her forget all about Morris Townsend, the b**** (who is the brother of Catherine's father and lives in the same house) has the latter over constantly through the whole year of the trip, allowing him to lounge about the father's den as well as smoking his cigars (whetting his appetite for the luxury he hopes to gain by marrying Catherine no doubt). Upon returning, the gentle Catherine expresses a subdued objection to that (in the book), the aunt is shrill and lords all over poor Catharine.  I am also listening to the novel (audiobook) and the narrator really has her down pat, making  her the b**** she is. I have more pitchforks on order because she needs a few more hits. ////

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(SPOILER ALERT):

What I didn't like about Hopkins' aunt in THE HEIRESS, is what made her think that Morris wouldn't take Catherine for every penny she had and then would run off on her? And cheat on her with every harpy when Catherine's back was turned? What kind of 'loving' aunt would want their niece in that kind of relationship?

Maybe Morris would have been just content to live off on Catherine's money, but Hopkins had no way of knowing that for an absolute fact.

At any rate, her pity for Morris was misplaced. I don't blame Catherine one bit for not wanting to give him another chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...