Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Some here seem to just list actors and actresses they dislike without actually mentioning any particular character.

There've  been actors and actresses I DO like who've played characters I'd love to "pitchfork".

One was mentioned in the OP--BRUCE DERN as "The man with long hair" in THE COWBOYS

Then there's AL LETTIERI'S sleazy SOLLOZZO in THE GODFATHER

Add STERLING HAYDEN'S police captain from that movie.

SIDNEY GREENSTREET'S  "GUTMAN" from THE MALTESE FALCON.

ADOLPH MENJOU just on general principle!  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 1

What a funny thread title, Tom ! 

I'm sure there are many, but off-hand, Julie Harris' character in Member of the Wedding (the ultimate self-absorbed adolescent angsty whiner), and Felix Ungar in The Odd Couple, especially when he's trying to clear his sinuses.

Miss Wonderly, which Felix annoys you more, the Jack Lemmon movie one or the Tony Randall tv one?

PS Have you always been MissWonderly with the "3" or were you watching "The Three Faces of Eve" recently? I did not recall that number being part of your appellation before. Excuse me if I'm blind.

His performances are fabulous, but the characters played by  *Paul Lukas* in most of the movies he made make me want to pitchfork him - especially in The lady Vanishes

Fred McMurray in in The Apartment too.  love the film, but Fred - well - he was a better actor than people gave him credit.

His performances are fabulous, but the characters played by  *Paul Lukas* in most of the movies he made make me want to pitchfork him - especially in The lady Vanishes

Fred McMurray in in The Apartment too.  love the film, but Fred - well - he was a better actor than people gave him credit.

The ironic thing about Fred in The Apartment was that it was supposed to be Paul Douglas who played Fred's role.

Then Douglas died.  Wilder called up Fred and asked him to take over the role.

Interesting example you give.  I love Powell, and yet one of the few movies I don't like is the example you give - Life with Father. 

I forgot. I also like him in THE GREAT ZIEGFELD.

• Like 1

My reply clearly is about Screen Characters I would love to pitchfork:

Pat Kroll - A Double Live
Alice Tripp - A Place In the Sun

Willa Harper - Night of the Hunter

Eva Bardeman - Executive Suite

Charlotte Haze - Lolita

Now all of these characters were played by Shelly Winters.    One of the best actresses at playing pitchfork worthy characters in the biz. 

Some may be surprised I didn't mention June Allyson.   But with June even when she plays nice sweet gals I still feel myself looking for the pitchfork.   But that wasn't the theme of this thread.

• Like 1

Lawrence, you neglected to mention in what film you'd like to pitchfork June Allyson.

Oh, wait, I get it.

I think June even had the ability to annoy Jimmy Stewart when she played his wifey.

The only movie I ever liked her in was that oddball one called "The Shrike" I think. In it she plays a really even more annoying part than the usual Juney saccharine type.

I think June even had the ability to annoy Jimmy Stewart when she played his wifey.

The only movie I ever liked her in was that oddball one called "The Shrike" I think. In it she plays a really even more annoying part than the usual Juney saccharine type.

The really odd thing about June and her marriage to Powell is that he directed her in several things and would call her "pumpkin head" on the set.

Yeah. I'd give the pitchfork some use on that miserly and devious old dude who owns the bank in Bedford Falls, alright!

(...and I'm sure it wouldn't take much to get many of you to join in with me on this, now would it?!)

;)

Heck, I kinda like Mr. Potter.

Just cuz he is not on the happy juice, is no reason to hate him. He basically tells Jimmy the truth but okay he was wrong to take Uncle Billy's deposit money.

But without Old Man Potter, no story...right?

I rest my case. It's a dirty job to be mean for a movie tale but someone has to do it.

My reply clearly is about Screen Characters I would love to pitchfork:

Pat Kroll - A Double Live

Alice Tripp - A Place In the Sun

Willa Harper - Night of the Hunter

Eva Bardeman - Executive Suite

Charlotte Haze - Lolita

Now all of these characters were played by Shelly Winters.    One of the best actresses at playing pitchfork worthy characters in the biz. 

Some may be surprised I didn't mention June Allyson.   But with June even when she plays nice sweet gals I still feel myself looking for the pitchfork.   But that wasn't the theme of this thread.

Shelly Winters played all the characters, true.  But that shows her what a great actress she was.

I saw an interview she did with JOHNNY CARSON and she appeared with Oliver Reed. They got into an argument and she poured liquid over his head.

Edited by GregoryPeckfan
  • Like 1

Shelly Winters played all the characters, true.  But that shows her what a great actress she was.

I saw an interview she did with Dick Cavett and she appeared with Oliver Reed. They got into an argument and she poured liquid over his head.

That has to be one of the greatest live interview events ever recorded. Shelley was on first and was her usual delightfully bubbly and exuberantly loquacious self, then Oliver came on and she kept interrupting him. It was hilarious. And then he started verbally jousting with her, about how men were better chefs and better at everything and Johnny Carson just kept his mouth shut knowing this was great tv. Then they went to commercial, and come back as Shelley from offstage walks up and pours a glass of wine right over the top of Reed's head. He did absolutely nothing and was stonefaced with no reaction as Carson cracked up. I had to give Ollie some credit for taking it that well. I believe you can pull up the whole segment on Youtube and trust me it is worth seeing.

• Like 2

Heck, I kinda like Mr. Potter.

Just cuz he is not on the happy juice, is no reason to hate him. He basically tells Jimmy the truth but okay he was wrong to take Uncle Billy's deposit money.

But without Old Man Potter, no story...right?

I rest my case. It's a dirty job to be mean for a movie tale but someone has to do it.

Well now, Cave Girl, I don't think we should rain on Dargo's "Let's Skewer Old Man Potter" parade too much. After all, the old miser earned the dislike that many have for him, and we should be allowed to show him a proper acknowledgement of that dislike.

Let's make a deal. You can hang out with the old man for a while, if you like, and, after you leave the room, Dargo comes into it with a pitchfork and has his own kind of fun.

• Like 1

That has to be one of the greatest live interview events ever recorded. Shelley was on first and was her usual delightfully bubbly and exuberantly loquacious self, then Oliver came on and she kept interrupting him. It was hilarious. And then he started verbally jousting with her, about how men were better chefs and better at everything and Johnny Carson just kept his mouth shut knowing this was great tv. Then they went to commercial, and come back as Shelley from offstage walks up and pours a glass of wine right over the top of Reed's head. He did absolutely nothing and was stonefaced with no reaction as Carson cracked up. I had to give Ollie some credit for taking it that well. I believe you can pull up the whole segment on Youtube and trust me it is worth seeing.

Yes, it was Carson. I do not know why I said Cavett.  Must have been thinking of Cavett.

Miss Wonderly, which Felix annoys you more, the Jack Lemmon movie one or the Tony Randall tv one?

PS Have you always been MissWonderly with the "3" or were you watching "The Three Faces of Eve" recently? I did not recall that number being part of your appellation before. Excuse me if I'm blind.

1.  I was thinking of Jack Lemmon. But, the character he was playing, not Mr. Lemmon himself, whom I like. I have only the vaguest memory of ever seeing the "Odd Couple" tv show - I think maybe once, at a tender age, before the memory part of my brain was fully developed (ok, that last part I made up.)  But I'm not familiar enough with the television show to comment about Ungar's character in that (although I imagine it was pretty similar to the movie one.)  "That said", the little I've seen of Tony Randall, I like him.  Completely irrelevantly, I believe he was an ardent opera fan.

Why do I always have to give a long answer when a short one would suffice? I'll try and do better with the next question.

2. The only reason I am now "misswonderly3" is due to a sign-in issue here, in which for some reason I couldn't get into this site with just "misswonderly". I think, in one of the failed attempts to create a new screen name and password, I went through a "misswonderly too" phase. In fact, I know I did. Yes, for a while I was "misswonderly too", I remember  now. Anyway, the "misswonderly3" thing has something to do with getting back onto this website as a member. I remember one of the moderators here, Lynn, was very helpful with this.

ps: Briefly, I was "EdithsHead". I quite enjoyed being Edith and her head, it was fun. But some long-term members here didn't seem to realize that it was misswonderly in a new incarnation. I didn't want to lose the rep I had here as misswonderly (grand as it was -no, kidding ! ), I mean, I didn't want to not be recognized as a long -term member here, so I just went back to "misswonderly", regardless of the number following that appellation.

Wow, my second answer was just as wordy as my first. I must work on curtailing my verbosity and tendency to be prolix. 

Here's the pic of Edith Head I used. I liked the idea of a dour Edith, just her scowling head, flying around all over the place on the boards here.

head.jpg

"I've always understood decapitation is a crime."

edit: Ok, not just her head, more like a "bust" (although I don't believe she had much in that department.) I could not find the original photo I used, which was what you see here, but just from the neck up.

• Like 5

Remember what happens to evil, brooding paedo-leaning mailman Charles Durning the end of the 1981 Tv movie DARK NIGHT OF THE SCARECROW?  ;)

Regarding Felix Unger: TV or movie - The movie version has that great line about cornflakes that is not in the TV show, so I would pick the TV show Felix to pitchfork.

As for numbers after names, popular characters are often screen names and I imagine that there are any amount of 1, 2, 3 ...after characters in terms of long time members of this forum.  And Mary Astor had a long and popular career.

I love Edith Head appearing as herself in so many things. 

Red Skelton in "Having Wonderful Time".

Pat O'Brien in most of the movies he made.

I must admit I have never been fond of food humour that Red was famous for doing.

Red like a lot of comedians tried too hard to be funny. Jonathan Winters and Tim Conway on the other hand were just naturally funny. Just my take anyway.

S.K.Sakall in most films, the one notable.exception is CASABLANCA. I did not find his schtick cuddly.

Dan Duryea, although I usually like in his slimey self, is way too.annoying in his whining in THIS IS MY LOVE.

S.K.Sakall in most films, the one notable.exception is CASABLANCA. I did not find his schtick cuddly.

WM8.jpg

Naut . ..  naut . . . naut. . . he vants to make with the big stick . . . he vants to pitchfork me?. . . . SHEESSH!!!

• Like 3

Regarding Felix Unger: TV or movie - The movie version has that great line about cornflakes that is not in the TV show, so I would pick the TV show Felix to pitchfork.

As for numbers after names, popular characters are often screen names and I imagine that there are any amount of 1, 2, 3 ...after characters in terms of long time members of this forum.  And Mary Astor had a long and popular career.

I love Edith Head appearing as herself in so many things. 

Why wouldn't she appear as "herself" ? She was a costume designer, not an actress.

• Like 2

Why wouldn't she appear as "herself" ? She was a costume designer, not an actress.

Lots of people who were famous appeared as themselves, yes.  But others played other roles.  Former Prime Minister Stephan Harper comes to mind when he wanted to appear on Murdoch Mysteries as a policeman, not a politician.