Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Here's a screen character who actually got pitchforked

13360-1688.jpg

Greg Palmer, via John Wayne in BIG JAKE.

But what do you expect? Palmer had just killed the Duke's dog with a machete.

(By the way Palmer also macheteed Bruce Cabot in the same film but western fans never talked about that, just the dog getting it that way. Come to think of it, the dog was more likeable than Cabot).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Here's a screen character who actually got pitchforked

13360-1688.jpg

Greg Palmer, via John Wayne in BIG JAKE.

But what do you expect? Palmer had just killed the Duke's dog with a machete.

(By the way Palmer also macheteed Bruce Cabot in the same film but western fans never talked about that, just the dog getting it that way. Come to think of it, the dog was more likeable than Cabot).

I HATE people who kill helpless animals but I really hate the ones who get some sick sadistic satisfaction out of it.

15 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

I HATE people who kill helpless animals but I really hate the ones who get some sick sadistic satisfaction out of it.

Who doesn't agree with that statement?

Having said that, the Duke's dog in Big Jake wasn't so "helpless." As a matter of fact he had done a good job of chewing up part of Palmer's arm but he only did so on Wayne's command. Still, when Palmer responded by the manner in which he did (with a machete yet!) no death was too good for him. And a pitchfork in his pot belly seemed an appropriate touch.

Here are a few for your pitchforking consideration: 

• Frederick Fairlie (John Abbott) in "The Woman in White" (1948)
  • Stawski (Simon Oakland) in "The Sand Pebbles" (1966)
  • Torvald (Jack Palance) in "Barabbas" (1961)
  • Clara Thornhill (Jessie Royce Landis) in "North By Northwest" (1959)
  • Tom Ripley (Alain Delon) in "Purple Noon" (1960)
  • Commodus (Joaquin Phoenix) in "Gladiator" (2000)

and from TV: 

• Officer Carl Levitt (Ron Carey) in "Barney Miller:" TV Series (1975-1982)
  • Major Frank Burns (Larry Linville) in "M.A.S.H." TV Series (1972-1983)
  • Kirk Devane (Steve Kampmann) in "Newhart" TV Series (1982-1990)

P.S. I am somewhat new here. I had registered years ago but I guess my account was deleted because of inactivity. So here I am, fighting "inactivity" with my pitchfork.

• Like 2

(SPOILER ALERT)

I know I really wanted to shove a pitchfork into Jimmy Markum (Sean Penn) in MYSTIC RIVER for killing an innocent man, a guy who was his childhood buddy too.

I get that the guy was grieving over the death of his daughter, who was brutally murdered. And I think any one of us who would lose a child to murder would want to get the guy who did it.

But he winds up jumping to a really serious and tragic conclusion and takes matters into his own hands which he was warned NOT to do by the police. By ignoring this, he gets the wrong man.

He's no different (or better) than the lynch mob in THE OX-BOW INCIDENT.

And his wife Annabelle (Laura Linney) is no better either. She eases his somewhat guilty conscience by assuring him he did what he had to do out of love, and he was right in what he did.

As far as I am concerned both Jimmy and Annabelle both deserved the pitchfork and have their bodies tossed into the same river that poor Dave Boyle (Tim Robbins) no doubt ended up after

being tortured and tormented to death.

• Like 1

Beth, your comment reminded me of the pitchfork-worthiness of the lynch mob in The Ox Bow Incident. This guy, in particular, played by Paul Hurst, was really eager to just string 'em up.

8432.jpg

But let's not forget the pomposity and cold bloodedness of the mob leader, the Major in that Confederate outfit, played by Frank Gilroy. He was arguably more responsible than anyone else because he could have influenced the outcome.

tumblr_n9r0mwPID31r441cko3_500.jpg

Yep, I would like to give these guys a little vigilante pitchfork justice myself (which means, I guess, I did not learn the lesson of the film). But is there anyone here who would not enjoy seeing the Major squirm and maybe even plead for justice as the prongs of that fork got near him?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

But he winds up jumping to a really serious and tragic conclusion and takes matters into his own hands which he was warned NOT to do by the police. By ignoring this, he gets the wrong man.

It goes back to my saying that people who make a habit out of jumping to conclusions would best be served packing a parachute before they leap.

40 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Beth, your comment reminded me of the pitchfork-worthiness of the lynch mob in The Ox Bow Incident. This guy, in particular, played by Paul Hurst, was really eagerly to just string 'em up.

8432.jpg

But let's not forget the pomposity and cold bloodedness of the mob leader, the Major in that Confederate outfit, played by Frank Gilroy. He was arguably more responsible than anyone else because he could have influenced the outcome.

Yep, I would like to give these guys a little vigilante pitchfork justice myself (which means, I guess, I did not learn the lesson of the film). But is there anyone here who would not enjoy seeing the Major squirm and maybe even plead for justice as the prongs of that fork got near him.

Gilroy 'got his' in the end.  Unfortunately, the rest of the mob got off with no punishment except for the hope that their guilt about their part in the lynching would have tormented and hounded them for the rest of their lives.  Of course, the moment they learned the truth about the 'rustlers' they could have made a silent vow to change their attitudes and make amends as a small recompense for what they had done.

It would have been cool if there had been a movie called, "Oxbow--Ten Years Later" where the principle characters reprised their roles to see what happened to them and how the incident changed their lives.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

(SPOILER ALERT)

I know I really wanted to shove a pitchfork into Jimmy Markum (Sean Penn) in MYSTIC RIVER for killing an innocent man, a guy who was his childhood buddy too.

I get that the guy was grieving over the death of his daughter, who was brutally murdered. And I think any one of us who would lose a child to murder would want to get the guy who did it.

And his wife Annabelle (Laura Linney) is no better either. She eases his somewhat guilty conscience by assuring him he did what he had to do out of love, and he was right in what he did.

As far as I am concerned both Jimmy and Annabelle both deserved the pitchfork and have their bodies tossed into the same river that poor Dave Boyle (Tim Robbins) no doubt ended up after

being tortured and tormented to death.

The one who made my skin crawl (maybe that's a different thread) was Marsha Gaye Harden, who seemed to be egging on all the violence and confusion while flirting with Sean Penn's character  and baby talking through the whole film.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Beth, your comment reminded me of the pitchfork-worthiness of the lynch mob in The Ox Bow Incident. This guy, in particular, played by Paul Hurst, was really eager to just string 'em up.

8432.jpg

Yep, I would like to give these guys a little vigilante pitchfork justice myself (which means, I guess, I did not learn the lesson of the film). But is there anyone here who would not enjoy seeing the Major squirm and maybe even plead for justice as the prongs of that fork got near him.

The Major was indeed the worst of the lot! He'd be the first one I'd stick the pitchfork into.

I hope every one in the lynch mob were haunted to their dying days of their part in the deaths of three innocent men.

1 hour ago, AndreaDoria said:

The one who made my skin crawl (maybe that's a different thread) was Marsha Gaye Harden, who seemed to be egging on all the violence and confusion while flirting with Sean Penn's character  and baby talking through the whole film.

Yes, that infuriated me.....she knew Jimmy was grieving, she knew he was an ex-con, she knew what he was capable of (SPOILER).....yet she tells Jimmy about her husband Dave's strange behavior the night of the murder and doesn't deny it when Jimmy asks her if she thought Dave killed his daughter.

She might as well have loaded the gun and put it in Jimmy's hand and tell him to go kill Dave.

• Like 1

And speaking of mob justice...

I'd say have many of the townspeople in the films Fury (1936) and They Won't Forget (1937) line up and bend over.

(...and with an extra couple of jabbings in the hindquarters reserved for the politically ambitious character played by Claude Rains who spurs on the mob in the latter film) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Yep, I would like to give these guys a little vigilante pitchfork justice myself (which means, I guess, I did not learn the lesson of the film). But is there anyone here who would not enjoy seeing the Major squirm and maybe even plead for justice as the prongs of that fork got near him?

Thinking about it now there would have definitely been a form of rough "justice" if somehow the tables could have been turned and some pitchfork vengeance, I mean, justice could have been administered to the Major in that film by the "victims" themselves. I know that Dana Andrews' character was too nice a guy to do it and the old man (Francis Ford) too feeble minded, but the "Mex" (played by Anthony Quinn), I think he would have enjoyed being on the handle end of that pitchfork.

QUINN-oxbow1.jpeg

"Oh, Tetley, Major Tetley, look what I've got for you, you fat, self righteous gringo pig!"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...and with an extra couple of jabbing in the hindquarters reserved for the politically ambitious character played by Claude Rains who spurs on the mob in the latter film) 

. . .  while he also acknowledged in that same scene that he didn't even know if the guy he helped to kangaroo court was guilty. Yeh, Rains needs a good pitchfork up his keister (along with a lot of other lawyers).

5 hours ago, TomJH said:

Saaay, who's that over the Colonel's left shoulder there?

Why, that's actor Marc Lawrence.

(...and which now begs the question: Was there ever a movie he was in in which his character's behind wasn't worthy of a little pitchfork action?!)

34 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Saaay, who's that over the Colonel's left shoulder there?

Why, that's actor Marc Lawrence.

(...and which now begs the question: Was there ever a movie he was in in which his character's behind wasn't worthy of a little pitchfork action?!)

True, Dargo. But have you seen Shepherd of the Hills, with John Wayne? Marc Lawrence plays a simple minded rural character.

10000-17181.jpg

Very unusual sympathetic characterization by Lawrence that works very well in this little known little hill drama. In fact, Lawrence even manages to make the viewer (this viewer, at least) feel protective towards him. In most of Lawrence's roles, as you know, you want to be protected from him.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

True, Dargo. But have you seen Shepherd of the Hills, with John Wayne? Marc Lawrence plays a simple minded rural character.

10000-17181.jpg

Very unusual sympathetic characterization by Lawrence that works very well in this little known little hill drama. In fact, Lawrence even manages to make the viewer (this viewer, at least) feel protective towards him. In most of Lawrence's roles, as you know, you want to be protected from him.

Yeah, the one where Beulah Bondi also played against type as one mean pitchfork-able old bitty.

Had forgotten about this performance of Lawrence's.

(...thanks for the reminder)

A pitchfork in the gizzard to Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot in MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, not so much for his thickly sliced ham performance as much as for his constant heavily accented mangling of English to the extent that I couldn't understand what the Belgian flat foot was saying half the time!

Murder+On+The+Orient+Express%5B1%5D.jpg

"Ah, monsieur, but I hav knoejid  . . . and I belieeeve  . . . it must . . . delifjuvji . . ."

TRANSLATOR PLEASE!