Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

DAN DURYEA as Cousin Leo Hubbard in THE LITTLE FOXES (1941) aside from being a coward, fool, and a thief, steps on his mother's dress, doesn't apologize, and we hear it tear...

32059997df7b9a2b3e82f46cb3b071906ca9be26

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I know the obvious choice is to want to pitchfork the villain of the film, because they're so awful.  For me, sometimes the villain is so delightfully horrible, that I want to see more of them and less of the so-called good character.  Bette Davis' mother in Now Voyager is such an awful person, but she's so over-the-top that I love her. The frenzy that Barbara Stanywyck incites in My Reputation when she decides to date George Brent, doesn't make me want to pitchfork her mother (who is ridiculous), but I want to pitchfork her kids because they're so annoying.  In The Two Mrs. Carrolls, Humphrey Bogart's character is insane, but I want to pitchfork his daughter in that movie because she's the only character who speaks in a faux-British accent and she's such a patronizing child. In Snow White, I don't want to pitchfork the Evil Queen, I want to pitchfork Snow White! She's such an idiot.  In The Wizard of Oz, I'd rather see less Glinda, and more Wicked Witch of the West and more gate keeper of Emerald City. 

I dig it.  I love GLADYS COOPER... but her character is so much fun to hate! 

Joseph Wiseman in DETECTIVE STORY for his violent over acting. (Either that or he was a perfect psychotic, in which case he's still irritating as Hell).

tumblr_p3e2lu0uuW1qze0xvo3_500.gifv

"Me? Over act? What a laugh! WHAT A LAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!"

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TomJH said:

Joseph Wiseman in DETECTIVE STORY for his violent over acting. (Either that or he was a perfect psychotic, in which case he's still irritating as Hell).

tumblr_p3e2lu0uuW1qze0xvo3_500.gifv

"Me? Over act? What a laugh! WHAT A LAAAAAAAAAAUGH!!!"

He was the one thing I didn't like about that movie.  The rest of  it I thought was pretty good.

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

He was the one thing I didn't like about that movie.  The rest of  it I thought was pretty good.

While I haven't been particularly exposed to them I suspect there really are some cuckoo clocks like Wiseman played in the real world. But that doesn't mean you have to like them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomJH said:

While I haven't been particularly exposed to them I suspect there really are some cuckoo clocks like Wiseman played in the real world. But that doesn't mean you have to like them.

I'm sure there are, but he  was just so loud and irritating. I was hoping someone would just shoot him and put the audience out of their misery.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm sure there are, but he  was just so loud and irritating. I was hoping someone would just shoot him and put the audience out of their misery.

Screen-Shot-2015-08-01-at-2.45.47-PM.png

"Whatta ya want from me? Can I help it if everyone's attracted to my natural magnetism?"

• Haha 1

I know I've mentioned this one before. I refuse to watch True Grit because of this character. Rooster Cogburn (1975) is good enough for me.

"HATE! PITCH THE FORK!!!"

Kim+Darby.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TomJH said:

Screen-Shot-2015-08-01-at-2.45.47-PM.png

"Whatta ya want from me? Can I help it if everyone's attracted to my natural magnetism?"

Or......  he could mean "animal magnetism", which explains all the weird noises coming from his bedroom;) 

Sepiatone

When you are a child you have more of an open mind to certain characters you see on television.  I use to watch Gomer Pyle during its initial run in the 60s. I liked him and considered him a friend of mine.  I sometimes watch the program now out of sheer curiosity today and find the Gomer Pyle character worthy of being pitchfork.   

Jim Nabors was a great actor and tremendous singer.  He made the "Gomer Pyle" character realistic, believable and gave him numerous likability traits.  The scary part of his characterization is he is actually copying the tendencies and personality of an actual person he once knew I believe.  There are times I would like to swing really hard the flat-side of a shovel to Frank Sutton's character abrasive, loud-mouth Sergeant Vince Carter. 

3 hours ago, thomasterryjr said:

When you are a child you have more of an open mind to certain characters you see on television.  I use to watch Gomer Pyle during its initial run in the 60s. I liked him and considered him a friend of mine.  I sometimes watch the program now out of sheer curiosity today and find the Gomer Pyle character worthy of being pitchfork.   

Jim Nabors was a great actor and tremendous singer.  He made the "Gomer Pyle" character realistic, believable and gave him numerous likability traits.  The scary part of his characterization is he is actually copying the tendencies and personality of an actual person he once knew I believe.  There are times I would like to swing really hard the flat-side of a shovel to Frank Sutton's character abrasive, loud-mouth Sergeant Vince Carter. 

I agree with your assessment of children liking specific characters on television, and then coming to dislike them as adults. 

I've always disliked Gomer (and Goober) on Andy Griffith.  When Gomer runs around going CITIZEN'S ARREST! CITIZEN'S ARREST! I wanted to pitchfork him. 

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree with your assessment of children liking specific characters on television, and then coming to dislike them as adults. 

I've always disliked Gomer (and Goober) on Andy Griffith.  When Gomer runs around going CITIZEN'S ARREST! CITIZEN'S ARREST! I wanted to pitchfork him. 

Sometimes it works the other way around.  I disliked Dr. Smith on Lost In Space growing up - I found him distracting and annoying.  Now, looking at the reruns again, I laugh at Dr. Smith and it's John Robinson I want to pitchfork! 

1 hour ago, Allhallowsday said:

Sometimes it works the other way around.  I disliked Dr. Smith on Lost In Space growing up - I found him distracting and annoying.  Now, looking at the reruns again, I laugh at Dr. Smith and it's John Robinson I want to pitchfork! 

Then there are those whom you've always wanted to pitchfork.  Case in point: Ritchie from The Dick Van Dyke Show. Ugh. 

Okay after watching Mildred Pierce for the millionth time, I want to pitchfork every character Butterfly McQueen has ever played. 

That voice.

Oof.

I'd like to pitchfork any of the scenes with Joanne Dru in RED RIVER for two reasons:

1. Does anyone really care about whether she and Monty Clift's characters get together? It's that ominous force played by John Wayne that we care about and Wayne is missing too much of the time so that we can watch Clift and Dru banter with one another instead. Yawn. And does anyone take it seriously when Dru breaks up that fight at the end with her "I'm mad" speech?

2. Joanne Dru's performance as a "tough" girl (remember when she gets that arrow in her shoulder with barely a reaction from her?) has always rung hollow with me.

Having said that I would pitchfork the scenes, rather than Dru herself, because, well, she's so darned lovely to look at. I've always thought Joanne Dru was one of the real beauties of the movies but her performance in this film has always left me a little cold, no matter how hot the lady herself may be.

MV5BOTRlOTVjYjEtNDI3NS00ZmVmLTgyMzQtNDFj

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 5:34 PM, Allhallowsday said:

Why would you want to pitchfork John Robinson? He was a very moral character and held the family together.

I know many feel that Dr. Smith made LOST IN SPACE, but frankly I loved season 1 the best before the show became all about him, Will and the Robot. It had the potential to be a truly classic show then went down the drain when the show became ALL ABOUT DR. SMITH.

So I have the reaction to Smith that you do John Robinson......Loved Smith when I was younger, but now I find him an insufferable nuisance and all around pain in the fanny.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:48 PM, Allhallowsday said:

DAN DURYEA as Cousin Leo Hubbard in THE LITTLE FOXES (1941) aside from being a coward, fool, and a thief, steps on his mother's dress, doesn't apologize, and we hear it tear...

32059997df7b9a2b3e82f46cb3b071906ca9be26

Agree with your assessment of Leo and I don't blame Horace one bit for NOT wanting a union between his daughter and  this weasel.

Personally I think Alexandra was too strong-willed to allow herself to be betrothed to someone without her consent.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

Why would you want to pitchfork John Robinson? He was a very moral character and held the family together.

I know many feel that Dr. Smith made LOST IN SPACE, but frankly I loved season 1 the best before the show became all about him, Will and the Robot. It had the potential to be a truly classic show then went down the drain when the show became ALL ABOUT DR. SMITH.

So I have the reaction to Smith that you do John Robinson......Loved Smith when I was younger, but now I find him an insufferable nuisance and all around pain in the fanny.

Actually, we are having inverse reactions, decades apart.  I am better educated now, and a long time fan of LOST IN SPACE, but it's GUY WILLIAMS whom the cast may not have liked and JONATHAN HARRIS was a good friend to all - particularly MARK GODDARD!  I don't mean to be unfair to John Robinson, and agree the 1st season (in black and white) was the best year.  I still remember fondly John Robinson throwing the mask in the chasm instead of his son ...and in a color episode John Robinson giving water to the evil carrot man...

By no means  was I dissing Jonathan Harris, whom I am sure was a very nice guy in real life. It's just the character of Dr. Smith that I loathed.

That's news to me that Guy Williams wasn't liked by his fellow cast members on the set.

2 hours ago, Bethluvsfilms said:

By no means  was I dissing Jonathan Harris, whom I am sure was a very nice guy in real life. It's just the character of Dr. Smith that I loathed.

That's news to me that Guy Williams wasn't liked by his fellow cast members on the set.

It's only what I've read, you didn't diss anybody.  I also had read that GUY WILLIAMS may have been jealous of the fact that the show devolved exactly as you described: Dr. Smith, Robot and Will became the centerpiece.  I also agree that Dr. Smith is a loathsome character, a lazy lying coward rat.  I wanted space monsters and heroic John Robinson, Don West, lovely Judy and sweet Penny - not the rat!  Now, I find him funny, after long decades! 

12 minutes ago, Allhallowsday said:

I also agree that Dr. Smith is a loathsome character, a lazy lying coward rat. [...] Now, I find him funny, after long decades! 

I had the opposite reaction. As a kid, I thought Dr. Smith was hilarious, and he was the main reason I watched the show. Now when I see parts of episodes, I find him irritating and grating. Then again, I now also find the show almost completely unwatchable.

• Like 1

I never got into Lost in Space but I sure liked Guy Williams as a kid. I'd never give him a pitchfork. Besides, how could I when he had that sword?

yhst-21543727730288_2229_2433985.jpg

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I had the opposite reaction. As a kid, I thought Dr. Smith was hilarious, and he was the main reason I watched the show. Now when I see parts of episodes, I find him irritating and grating. Then again, I now also find the show almost completely unwatchable.

I see your point.  I never woulda thunk that Dr. Smith would ever be amusing.  The show is dumb, but it's like visiting old friends. 

28 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I never got into Lost in Space but I sure liked Guy Williams as a kid. I'd never give him a pitchfork. Besides, how could I when he had that sword?

yhst-21543727730288_2229_2433985.jpg

GUY WILLIAMS is easy to like, particularly as Zorro!  I do find him a bit pompous as John Robinson.