Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Lots of people who were famous appeared as themselves, yes.  But others played other roles.  Former Prime Minister Stephan Harper comes to mind when he wanted to appear on Murdoch Mysteries as a policeman, not a politician.

And who doesn't love a Prime Minister who takes time out of his busy schedule during his time as Prime Minister - not a former Prime Minister - to be an actor on a television show.

1.  I was thinking of Jack Lemmon. But, the character he was playing, not Mr. Lemmon himself, whom I like. I have only the vaguest memory of ever seeing the "Odd Couple" tv show - I think maybe once, at a tender age, before the memory part of my brain was fully developed (ok, that last part I made up.)  But I'm not familiar enough with the television show to comment about Ungar's character in that (although I imagine it was pretty similar to the movie one.)  "That said", the little I've seen of Tony Randall, I like him.  Completely irrelevantly, I believe he was an ardent opera fan.

Why do I always have to give a long answer when a short one would suffice? I'll try and do better with the next question.

2. The only reason I am now "misswonderly3" is due to a sign-in issue here, in which for some reason I couldn't get into this site with just "misswonderly". I think, in one of the failed attempts to create a new screen name and password, I went through a "misswonderly too" phase. In fact, I know I did. Yes, for a while I was "misswonderly too", I remember  now. Anyway, the "misswonderly3" thing has something to do with getting back onto this website as a member. I remember one of the moderators here, Lynn, was very helpful with this.

ps: Briefly, I was "EdithsHead". I quite enjoyed being Edith and her head, it was fun. But some long-term members here didn't seem to realize that it was misswonderly in a new incarnation. I didn't want to lose the rep I had here as misswonderly (grand as it was -no, kidding ! ), I mean, I didn't want to not be recognized as a long -term member here, so I just went back to "misswonderly", regardless of the number following that appellation.

Wow, my second answer was just as wordy as my first. I must work on curtailing my verbosity and tendency to be prolix. 

Here's the pic of Edith Head I used. I liked the idea of a dour Edith, just her scowling head, flying around all over the place on the boards here.

head.jpg

"I've always understood decapitation is a crime.

edit: Ok, not just her head, more like a "bust" (although I don't believe she had much in that department.) I could not find the original photo I used, which was what you see here, but just from the neck up.

I love Jack Lemmon, but Tony Randall's Felix Unger in The Odd Couple show was hilarious.  I love Randall's Felix, because he was completely insane.  Whereas Lemmon's Felix is more depressed than anything else, Randall's Felix was filled to the brim with confidence and he was just bonkers.  I love the episode where Felix takes Oscar to the Fat Farm that he visits annually.  They go into the restaurant and order and the waiter just brings out empty plates.  The diners are supposed to pretend that they're eating their favorite foods--you can't gain weight eating air! Oscar understandably thinks these people are crazy and Felix is sitting there just lapping up his "Baked Alaska" or whatever it was he ordered.

"MY BACK! MY BACK!" 

and my other favorite: "OSCAR. OSCAR. OSCAR." 

I watch The Odd Couple on MeTv each week, so really I enjoy both versions.  I would not really pitchfork either Felix.  I might pitchfork the unseen ex-wives though.

If I was going to pitchfork anyone in The Odd Couple, I would pitchfork the Pigeon Sisters and Oscar's poker buddy Murray, for all the drama he will cause Dorothy on The Golden Girls twenty years later. 

I can't stand movies with cackling girls.  I just saw a movie with a really obnoxious girl the other day and I can't remember what it was, but she was definitely pitchfork worthy.  It was a movie I had seen before too and was instantly reminded of the annoying girl, but I still can't remember what it was.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll accidentally watch it again somehow. 

I would say the Gloria character in Auntie Mame, because she's really annoying, but she's also hilarious in her own way, so I'm torn.  Someone can be annoying but hilarious right? 

Oh, the sisters yes in The Odd Couple, yes.  I seem to recall the actresses who played them in the film guest starred in an episode of the television show as the same characters, but I have not seen it in ages.  The giggling does get annoying.

Just thought of another one.  Apparently I have a lot of hate this evening.  Lol.

The girl in Sabrina who is cackling and giggling at the beginning of the film while Sabrina is watching.  She continues giggling all the way to the tennis court.  Irritating to the very end. 

Another famous person who did not appear as himself on television was Earle Stanley Gardner who appeared in the final episode of Perry Mason.  Dick Clark was in that one.  I don't wan't to give who the killer is away if anyone hasn't seen it...

But as for the character of Hamilton Burger, he never did quite match Perry Mason and you kind of wonder about whether he needed a pitchfork.  I mean, William should have gotten one in The Hitch-hiker.

• Like 1

Just thought of another one.  Apparently I have a lot of hate this evening.  Lol.

The girl in Sabrina who is cackling and giggling at the beginning of the film while Sabrina is watching.  She continues giggling all the way to the tennis court.  Irritating to the very end. 

Yes, that Sabrina girl is annoying.  This thread is great.

I have read somewhere that a lot of the murder victims in Agatha Christie mysteries were people based upon people she hated in real life.  Kill them off in books.

• Like 1

I watch The Odd Couple on MeTv each week, so really I enjoy both versions. I would not really pitchfork either Felix. I might pitchfork the unseen ex-wives though.

One episode I saw, Jack Klugman's real-life wifr played his ex-wife on the TV show.

Brett Somers, a prominent Canadian- American actress, had a marriage with Klugman a lot like the marriage that Oscar Madison had.

They stayed married until his death, but they really didn't live together for the last 20 years. Their personalities were very similar and when you saw her on the show, you just thought--that's the kind of wife Oscar Madison would have. In other words, Oscar Madison couldn't pull any punches with her.LOL

• Like 1

Tom Cruise playing himself in anything, which is all his movies!

There is something about TC that does invite the prompt introduction of a 3 pronged farmyard implement...

However, with all due consideration - I'd like to nominate all the bigoted characters in Pinky for the pitchfork treatment - unfortunately, I suspect that they'd be the ones carrying the pitchforks...

• Like 1

I figure the pitchfork was invented with the thought of encountering this character in mind.

Bob%252520Ewell.jpg

(But be careful, before he sticks it in you first).

Truly as vile a screen character as I've ever seen. Apparently it had a lot to do with the casting, too, since Gregory Peck stated that, for whatever reason, he quite intensely disliked this actor while making the film. I figure for Peck, a man renowned as a nice guy, to dislike him so much that he even commented upon it later, Anderson must have done something really special to earn that contempt.

• Like 3

S.K.Sakall in most films, the one notable.exception is CASABLANCA. I did not find his schtick cuddly.

Dan Duryea, although I usually like in his slimey self, is way too.annoying in his whining in THIS IS MY LOVE.

Agree 100%. Sakalll did less than nothing for me.

My reply clearly is about Screen Characters I would love to pitchfork:

Pat Kroll - A Double Live

Alice Tripp - A Place In the Sun

Willa Harper - Night of the Hunter

Eva Bardeman - Executive Suite

Charlotte Haze - Lolita

Now all of these characters were played by Shelly Winters.    One of the best actresses at playing pitchfork worthy characters in the biz. 

Some may be surprised I didn't mention June Allyson.   But with June even when she plays nice sweet gals I still feel myself looking for the pitchfork.   But that wasn't the theme of this thread.

I found Alice Tripp to be a very sympathetic character. Winters could be very annoying, but not here.

I found Alice Tripp to be a very sympathetic character. Winters could be very annoying, but not here.

I found it annoying that Alice couldn't swim.   

But AGAIN,  this isn't about the ACTOR but about the CHARACTERS.    I don't find Winters annoying.   I find many of the characters she plays annoying.

• Like 1

Ma Joad--Her heart is in the right place, but she just goes on

and on, blah, power to the people, blah. Okay, we get it granny.

She's too nice for pitchforking, but a piece of duct tape fit snugly

over her Okie pyehole seems condign punishment.

Lord Henry Wotton--You expect more than a touch of sarcasm

from a George Sanders' character, but Lord Henry's constant

barrage of Wilde epigrams as if he's a human pitching machine

is just too much. The first time one is exposed to this shtick is

not too bad, but it grows wearisome with repeat performances.

Again, not pitchforkable. How about a gag made out of imported

French silk that tightens each time old Henry tries to give voice

to another witticism.

"Lady" Thatcher and QE2--No one would want to pitchfork

Helen Mirren, but that superannuated leech is a whole other

matter. And why not throw in Maggie into the bargain. Two

for the pitchfork. And then poleaxe them for a coup de grace.

• Like 1

I found it annoying that Alice couldn't swim.   

But AGAIN,  this isn't about the ACTOR but about the CHARACTERS.    I don't find Winters annoying.   I find many of the characters she plays annoying.

I'm also not a good swimmer. I can relate to her.

joe%20besser.jpg

Joe Besser.

Is there anyone who finds this guy even mildly amusing, rather than the most irritating man in the room? What room? ANY room!

You knew the Stooges were on borrowed time when they hired this comedy school dropout as the third stooge.

Let's double pitchfork him!

• Like 4

Ma Joad--Her heart is in the right place, but she just goes on

and on, blah, power to the people, blah. Okay, we get it granny.

She's too nice for pitchforking, but a piece of duct tape fit snugly

over her Okie pyehole seems condign punishment.

Henry+Fonda+the+Grapes+of+Wrath.PNG

"If anyone tries to pitchfork or duct tape Ma, I'll be there . . ."

• Like 5

I'm also not a good swimmer. I can relate to her.

I am not known for my swimming either.  I remember going down a waterslide at a birthday party and scrambling to the side of the pool.

Henry+Fonda+the+Grapes+of+Wrath.PNG

"If anyone tries to pitchfork or duct tape Ma, I'll be there . . ."

Ma didn't raise no fool. I'm sure she would be glad

to clasp him to her rather expansive maternal breast.

(Hmmm. B o s o m is deleted. Wow)

I figure the pitchfork was invented with the thought of encountering this character in mind.

Bob%252520Ewell.jpg

(But be careful, before he sticks it in you first).

Truly as vile a screen character as I've ever seen. Apparently it had a lot to do with the casting, too, since Gregory Peck stated that, for whatever reason, he quite intensely disliked this actor while making the film. I figure for Peck, a man renowned as a nice guy, to dislike him so much that he even commented upon it later, Anderson must have done something really special to earn that contempt.

Well, you know that Robert Duvall aka Boo aka Arthur knew what to do with him....

Ma didn't raise no fool. I'm sure she would be glad

to clasp him to her rather expansive maternal breast.

(Hmmm. B o s o m is deleted. Wow)

Grapes-of-Wrath-Henry-Fonda.jpg

"I just said I'd be there. I didn't say nothin' 'bout being squeezed by Ma to her ex-pan-sive breast."

And keep talkin' bout Ma's breasts like that and I wouldn't mind meetin' up with you with a pitchfork in my hand, brother."

"You're not one of those reds I keep hearin' about, are you?"

• Like 1

This guy - Preacher Quint from Will Penny, played by Donald Pleasance.  Next, it would be his son, Rafe Quint, played by who else, Bruce Dern.

169433283-donald-pleasence-publicity-por

• Like 1

"I just said I'd be there. I didn't say nothin' 'bout being squeezed by Ma to her ex-pan-sive breast."

And keep talkin' bout Ma's breasts like that and I wouldn't mind meetin' up with you with a pitchfork in my hand, brother."

"You're not one of those reds I keep hearin' about, are you?"

Tom, you're not in Oklahoma any more. Out here in

California we are fairly loosey goosey when it comes

to these things. And not that it makes any difference,

but I'm a Wilkie Republican.