Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

Having just re-watched The Odd Couple as it aired on TCM tonight, I can confirm that if any pitchforking of Felix is going to happen by me it is in the TV show.

But again, I'd rather pitchfork the sisters.

Whilst pigeons are a nuisance & the pits,

I must request no pitchforking of the lady Brits!

;p

• Like 2

Whilst pigeons are a nuisance & the pits,

I must request no pitchforking of the lady Brits!

;p

Great poetry.

I really do not want to pitchfork any of the characters in The Odd Couple ...I love The Odd Couple...

Great poetry.

I really do not want to pitchfork any of the characters in The Odd Couple ...I love The Odd Couple...

I didn't watch the movie version for the longest time, as I'd been overexposed to reruns of the TV series & to Matthau's grumpy old man personas - a mistake, as the film is excellent, even after repeated viewings & Oscar is actually one of his more likeable rascals.

But, with The Apartment back on, may I request fully paid up membership of the Anti Sheldrake Angry Mob? I can bring my own pitchfork...

• Like 1

I didn't watch the movie version for the longest time, as I'd been overexposed to reruns of the TV series & to Matthau's grumpy old man personas - a mistake, as the film is excellent, even after repeated viewings & Oscar is actually one of his more likeable rascals.

But, with The Apartment back on, may I request fully paid up membership of the Anti Sheldrake Angry Mob? I can bring my own pitchfork...

You are given that membership.  I have been a member ever since I first saw it and so has every Fred M. fan, including the lady who hit him with her purse at Disneyland because she had taken her children to see the movie.  We, the Angry Mob, have meetings every time the movie airs.

You are given that membership.  I have been a member ever since I first saw it and so has every Fred M. fan, including the lady who hit him with her purse at Disneyland because she had taken her children to see the movie.  We, the Angry Mob, have meetings every time the movie airs.

Is there any other actor who normally played good guys whose fans were outraged when he played a bad guy? Henry Fonda?

Is there any other actor who normally played good guys whose fans were outraged when he played a bad guy? Henry Fonda?

Peck in The Boys from Brazil.  

• Like 1

Robert Montgomery in Night Must Fall.

• Like 1

alfonso-bedoya-gold-hat-the-treasure-of-

Particularly if he stole my gold.

On second that, I take that back. It would be fun to pitchfork this guy under ANY circumstances.

Probably there were.

Certainly they Clark Gable fans were outraged to see him dancing in Strange Interlude.

And when Robert Montgomery played Phillip Marlowe in Lady in the Lady fans were outraged that they could see him only in the mirror and hear his voice.  So MGM got Robert and his leading lady to tack on an ending that suggested Marlowe got the girl and this enraged Robert Montgomery so much that he quit MGM after 20 years and never worked there again.

I love Fred M. in everything he did.  I adore Fred in any role he did because he was a great actor.  Remember he played a cad in The Caine Mutiny as well.

Robert Montgomery in Night Must Fall.

That is right.  I did not mention this in my post because I already read yours, but there was also some anger about lady in the lake.....

It seems that we all have different criteria for what warrants a paddlin' err... pitchforkin'.  Sorry too much Simpsons lately. 

I've been going more with what characters get on my nerves in the film.

Others have been choosing characters who were unsavory people.

Others are choosing characters who are an against-type role for the actor.

I don't think it's fair to choose to pitchfork a character because the actor wanted to branch out and take on a variety of different roles--unless of course, you really didn't care for their character and/or portrayal.

With Fred MacMurray, I loved his portrayal of Mr. Sheldrake in The Apartment.  He was so delightfully smarmy and a complete cad.  Walter Neff in Double Indemnity was another departure for him and now I can't imagine anyone else in the role.  He was so smooth and believable as Barbara Stanwyck's lover and accomplice.  He also conveyed great vulnerability when he realizes that Stanwyck has used him. 

I also loved Clark Gable's dancing in Idiot's Delight.  Sure he is no Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, but his "Puttin' on the Ritz" was fun and completely unexpected.  Plus, I love the song and Gable looked good in his top hat and tails.

I'd like to pitchfork characters who are annoying:

Butterfly McQueen--every character she's ever played.

The girl with the screechy baby voice in The Apartment.  

Andy Devine in Torrid Zone.  

• Like 1

It seems that we all have different criteria for what warrants a paddlin' err... pitchforkin'.  Sorry too much Simpsons lately. 

I've been going more with what characters get on my nerves in the film.

Others have been choosing characters who were unsavory people.

Others are choosing characters who are an against-type role for the actor.

I don't think it's fair to choose to pitchfork a character because the actor wanted to branch out and take on a variety of different roles--unless of course, you really didn't care for their character and/or portrayal.

With Fred MacMurray, I loved his portrayal of Mr. Sheldrake in The Apartment.  He was so delightfully smarmy and a complete cad.  Walter Neff in Double Indemnity was another departure for him and now I can't imagine anyone else in the role.  He was so smooth and believable as Barbara Stanwyck's lover and accomplice.  He also conveyed great vulnerability when he realizes that Stanwyck has used him. 

I also loved Clark Gable's dancing in Idiot's Delight.  Sure he is no Fred Astaire or Gene Kelly, but his "Puttin' on the Ritz" was fun and completely unexpected.  Plus, I love the song and Gable looked good in his top hat and tails.

I'd like to pitchfork characters who are annoying:

Butterfly McQueen--every character she's ever played.

The girl with the screechy baby voice in The Apartment.  

Andy Devine in Torrid Zone.  

Oh, I did not mind seeing Clark Gable dance in Idiot's Delight. I would watch him recite limericks while dancing the rhumba if he had done it.

I only mentioned what  his fans of the time did - they wrote in and complained that the King of Hollywood was not supposed to dance.

I love Lady in the Lake as well.  I love Robert Montgomery, period.  He directed that movie by the way.  He had directed parts of the war movie They Were Expendable - he was a bigger star than Wayne at the time and got top billing -when John Ford was ill.

As for Fred, he did not want that role in The Apartment. He was fantastic.  But he had already played against type in Double Indemnity and had to be talked into it by Billy Wilder.

I also loved MacMurray's demonstration of his acting chops in The Apartment - but, if ever a sleazeball character deserved a 3 pronged piercing, it was Mr Sheldrake (when can I have my Angry Mob Membership card, ColumboFan?). Part of the genius of that film was casting Lemmon in full vulnerable, nice-guy mode for contrast.

However, I found the continual punctuation of MacMurray's character's speech with 'Baby' in Double Indemnity jarring/corny - after this thread, a mental image of nice shiny pitchfork will no doubt find it's way into my mind's eye, at those points in the dialog...

• Like 2

I also loved MacMurray's demonstration of his acting chops in The Apartment - but, if ever a sleazeball character deserved a 3 pronged piercing, it was Mr Sheldrake (when can I have my Angry Mob Membership card, ColumboFan?). Part of the genius of that film was casting Lemmon in full vulnerable, nice-guy mode for contrast.

However, I found the continual punctuation of his characters speech with 'Baby' in Double Indemnity jarring/corny - after this thread, a mental image of nice shiny pitchfork which no doubt find it's way into my mind's eye, at those points in the dialog...

Membership cards are delivered via email, limey - or by private messenger.

We here at Angry Mob  make sure that everyone  gets satisfaction the pitchforking business.

Membership cards are delivered via email, limey - or by private messenger.

We here at Angry Mob  make sure that everyone  gets satisfaction the pitchforking business.

Just as well - you don't want to make the Angry Mob, well... angry!

ps: If Fred ever finds himself reading TCM message boards in the afterlife - please be assured that I will never bat you over the head with a handbag, because you successfully played against type. Besides, I don't own a handbag...

• Like 1

However, I found the continual punctuation of MacMurray's character's speech with 'Baby' in Double Indemnity jarring/corny - after this thread, a mental image of nice shiny pitchfork will no doubt find it's way into my mind's eye, at those points in the dialog...

Lol.  While I agree that Walter Neff's repeated "babys" is kind of corny, for some reason, I also find it somewhat humorous and it doesn't bother me.  I wouldn't pitchfork him.  I would pitchfork Zacchetti.  I don't know why, but he seems like he deserves it.

• Like 2

Someone I would pitchfork is the alleged Bulgarian girl who gives her over dramatic sob story to Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca.  Every time she gives her little speech "We come from Bulgaria. Oh please monsieur... blah blah blah." 

Also the lady with the guitar in Casablanca, her singing gets on my nerves.  Where's the big vaudeville hook when you need it? Get Sam back out there. 

• Like 1

Part of this thread is actually sitting in the "Strange Truths" thread because I mentioned that Fred McMurray only got the role of Sheldrake because Paul Douglas died and it was quoted and the focus of the quote as the character and three of us discussed whether or not Sheldrake should get a pitchfork for several posts before we realized we were posting in the Strange Truths thread instead of the Pitchfork thread.

• Like 1

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, limey. I may have brought it up myself here on the board a long time back but my opinion was in the minority, I think. :)

• Like 1

I thought I was the only one who felt this way, limey. I may have brought it up myself here on the board a long time back but my opinion was in the minority, I think. :)

Pitchfork anyone who disagrees, baby! *pitchforks self for that*

TCM didn't help any, with that promo they kept airing, that chained together a whole stream of babies in a row - I might have let it fester quietly in my subconscious, were it not for that promo...

• Like 2

I just watched "Summer Stock" for the millionth time (can't get enough of Judy and "Get Happy," such a great number.)

Anyway... I'd like to pitchfork Phil Silvers' character. I'd also like to throw a big ole pitchfork at the "Heavenly Music" number (I hate that number. Probably Gene Kelly's worst) but I'd like the pitchfork to miss all the dogs. They're the best part. Gene himself can't get hurt (he's my #2 after Errol) but his bumpkin character gets a pitchfork.

• Like 2

Then you will also want to pitchfork out own MissWonderly, who uses (or used to use)'"baby" even more than Neff.

I'd pitchfork Major Willard Tetley (Frank Conroy) from "The Ox-Bow Incident" (1943). He couldn't wait for due process to take its course -- and three innocent men died because of his impatience. If he was around today, he'd be one of those neocons who'd invade a country in the Middle East based on flimsy evidence.

ox-bow-incident-ritt-zum-koch-blu-ray-00

• Like 3

By the way, Judy Canova should be pardoned from possible pitchforking for giving us the lovely Diana Canova of "Soap" fame!

s_canova_07.jpg

• Like 2