Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

NAME A SCREEN CHARACTER YOU'D LOVE TO PITCHFORK

S.K.Sakall in most films, the one notable.exception is CASABLANCA. I did not find his schtick cuddly.

Dan Duryea, although I usually like in his slimey self, is way too.annoying in his whining in THIS IS MY LOVE.

As was discussed sometime ago on these boards, James Cagney had enough serious issue with  "Cuddles" that Cagney even mentioned it in his autobiography.

• Like 1

It's a little difficult for me to "pitchfork" certain characters because I have too much of a liking and respect for the actor. I know, one must make the distinction between the actor and the character.  Most people here  really like actors like George Sanders and Dan Duryea, but they could be regular  character candidates  for "pitchforking".  But I just don't think I could carry out the sentencing of the "pitchfork".  Sorry Dargo, old friend, but I guess I feel the same about old man Potter. I like Lionel B.  too much as an actor.  And he played too many likeable guys in other films.  One guy who I (and a few others) "pitchforked" some time ago was Max Showalter / Casey Adams.  After a while I felt a little guilty about that, my main reason for singling him out was the character (Jean Peters' husband)  he played in NIAGARA . I always make that character association with him whenever I see him in another film. So can I "pitchfork" Max?  Yeah, I guess I can (at least as that character).   P.S.  Anyone thinking of pitchforking William Powell has to go through me first. :)

• Like 2

It's a little difficult for me to "pitchfork" certain characters because I have too much of a liking and respect for the actor. I know, one must make the distinction between the actor and the character.  Most people here  really like actors like George Sanders and Dan Duryea, but they could be regular  character candidates  for "pitchforking".  But I just don't think I could carry out the sentencing of the "pitchfork".  Sorry Dargo, old friend, but I guess I feel the same about old man Potter. I like Lionel B.  too much as an actor.  And he played too many likeable guys in other films.  One guy who I (and a few others) "pitchforked" some time ago was Max Showalter / Casey Adams.  After a while I felt a little guilty about that, my main reason for singling him out was the character (Jean Peters' husband)  he played in NIAGARA . I always make that character association with him whenever I see him in another film. So can I "pitchfork" Max?  Yeah, I guess I can (at least as that character).   P.S.  Anyone thinking of pitchforking William Powell has to go through me first. :)

Oh, I would never pitchfork William Powell in anything he did. No pitchfork to Mr. Powell.....

By the way, I recorded Mr. Roberts the night of Jack's films and it is still waiting for me to watch for the 100th time or so.

I love that film.  And the only thing that gets the pitchfork in that film is the palm tree....

Then you will also want to pitchfork out own MissWonderly, who uses (or used to use)'"baby" even more than Neff.

Oh, this is a thread about characters and movies and television, not posters on this website......

• Like 1

I just watched "Summer Stock" for the millionth time (can't get enough of Judy and "Get Happy," such a great number.)

Anyway... I'd like to pitchfork Phil Silvers' character. I'd also like to throw a big ole pitchfork at the "Heavenly Music" number (I hate that number. Probably Gene Kelly's worst) but I'd like the pitchfork to miss all the dogs. They're the best part. Gene himself can't get hurt (he's my #2 after Errol) but his bumpkin character gets a pitchfork.

Gene was very close to Judy and protected her.  He made sure that on the set of The Pirate when ever she could not come to the set the set that he was blamed instead.  HE had a sprained ankle. HE was  feeling sick, etc.

Oh, this is a thread about characters and movies and television, not posters on this website......

If posters start pitchforking other posters, this site is going to be very  empty  very quickly ;)

• Like 3

Someone might have pitchforked Colombo's wardrobe (and his car) and bought him a new outfit. :D  :D  

• Like 1

Someone might have pitchforked Colombo's wardrobe (and his car) and bought him a new outfit. :D  :D  

That coat came out of Peter's own closet.

And I think most of the killers on Columbo wanted to pitchfork Columbo.......

:D

P.S.  Anyone thinking of pitchforking William Powell has to go through me first. :)

Anyone with such nefarious pitchforking plans would suffer agonizing death at the jaws of Asta... at least, just as soon as he's finished dealing with this viscous looking hydrant....

astatangle.gif

• Like 1

Anyone with such nefarious pitchforking plans would suffer agonizing death at the jaws of Asta... at least, just as soon as he's finished dealing with this viscous looking hydrant....

astatangle.gif

Yes, Asta was never quite "there" for Nick when there was danger about:

Hiding under furniture when Nick would say that Asta would attack

Hiding in the other room when Nick broke the window with his Christmas present

However, Asta was right there when someone tried to take the baby.....

If posters start pitchforking other posters, this site is going to be very  empty  very quickly ;)

This is not to say that I would not pitchfork the *character* of Miss Wonderly, mind you.

I can`t think of any person who would want to pitchfork Mr. Roberts, except for the character James Cagney plays...

I'd luv to pitchfork Swiss Cheese Man in THE LIMBURGER FACTORY FIRE SCANDAL, but the tines would go right thru him.  So that's out . . .

Instead, I will pitchfork John David Garfield in SAVAGE INTRUDER (1969).  He deserves credit, though, for playing such a scummy psycho who moves in with Miriam Hopkins and starts getting mean and weird. 

(By the way, the old Unicorn Video box has an eye-catching cover.  There's a severed head with blood all over the place and a tagline:  "She loved and trusted him.  Until he cut her head off!". 

• Like 3

I'd luv to pitchfork Swiss Cheese Man in THE LIMBURGER FACTORY FIRE SCANDAL, but the tines would go right thru him.  So that's out . . .

Instead, I will pitchfork John David Garfield in SAVAGE INTRUDER (1969).  He deserves credit, though, for playing such a scummy psycho who moves in with Miriam Hopkins and starts getting mean and weird. 

(By the way, the old Unicorn Video box has an eye-catching cover.  There's a severed head with blood all over the place and a tagline:  "She loved and trusted him.  Until he cut her head off!". 

For some reason, that tagline made Tillie's Punctured Romance pop into my mind - LOL.

And from said title - Charlie, the city slicker may be worthy of some mild puncturing, for his ungentlemanly conduct.

What is/was THE LIMBURGER FACTORY FIRE SCANDAL? I feel that my cultural education is suddenly missing something vital!

• Like 1

Well, shucks.  There is no "Limburger Factory Fire Scandal".  Just the product of my cheese-dipped imagination and the notion of having a pitchfork go through something holy, err, hole-y.  Like Swiss.   

That said, there is a 1979 Tv movie I have on video called 'THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE SCANDAL' (which is based on a real-life 1911 incident) and I just switched the title wording a lil' bit.     

• Like 1

It's a little difficult for me to "pitchfork" certain characters because I have too much of a liking and respect for the actor. I know, one must make the distinction between the actor and the character.  Most people here  really like actors like George Sanders and Dan Duryea, but they could be regular  character candidates  for "pitchforking".  But I just don't think I could carry out the sentencing of the "pitchfork".  Sorry Dargo, old friend, but I guess I feel the same about old man Potter. I like Lionel B.  too much as an actor.  And he played too many likeable guys in other films.  One guy who I (and a few others) "pitchforked" some time ago was Max Showalter / Casey Adams.  After a while I felt a little guilty about that, my main reason for singling him out was the character (Jean Peters' husband)  he played in NIAGARA . I always make that character association with him whenever I see him in another film. So can I "pitchfork" Max?  Yeah, I guess I can (at least as that character).   P.S.  Anyone thinking of pitchforking William Powell has to go through me first. :)

I guess THIS explains why you didn't mention anything about pitchforking Cagney as Capt. Morton in that little movie about a WWII naval supply ship, eh Mr. R?! ;)

(...'cause of course, EVERY crew member of the USS Reluctant would gladly stand in line for hours just to get a whack at pitchforking THAT guy...OR maybe shoving that palm tree up his you-know-what, anyway!)

• Like 1

Didn't some screen characters actually get pitchforked? (I'm not talking about slasher movies where everyone gets offed in gruesome fashion.)

For instance, Gregg Palmer got pitchforked by John Wayne in Big Jake.

Ken Norton got pitchforked by somebody (maybe Perry King) in Mandingo.

• Like 1

Well, shucks.  There is no "Limburger Factory Fire Scandal".  Just the product of my cheese-dipped imagination and the notion of having a pitchfork go through something holy, err, hole-y.  Like Swiss.   

That said, there is a 1979 Tv movie I have on video called 'THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE SCANDAL' (which is based on a real-life 1911 incident) and I just switched the title wording a lil' bit.     

Aw, you got my hopes up for the hope of seeing something really cheesy, with a suitably stinky dialog & a plot full of holes...

(...'cause of course, EVERY crew member of the USS Reluctant would gladly stand in line for hours just to get a whack at pitchforking THAT guy...OR maybe shoving that palm tree up his you-know-what, anyway!)

Bilge Pump? Anyway, it's too late, as I - Ensign Pulver - have thrown the stinking thing overboard. Now, what's all this crud about no TCM tonight?

• Like 2

Didn't some screen characters actually get pitchforked? (I'm not talking about slasher movies where everyone gets offed in gruesome fashion.)

Spoiler below (!)

Jack Elam in Firecreek.  By none other than Jimmy Stewart.

• Like 1

Yes, some characters did get pitchforked.  You're right about that.

That is why the characters in The Great Escape  jumped out of the trucks where they were hiding to escape from the prison camp on the same day the camp opened.  Again, this film is based upon real events.  But the characters were amalgamated so there would be only one or two of each person/job such as 1 scrounger, 1 forger, 2 tunnel kings...

I wouldn`t pitchfork anyone, but nobody got on my nerves more than the actor Hugh Herbert. After seeing him in FOOTLIGHT PARADE 1933 and GOLDDIGGERS OF 1935 and seeing his hand motions along with sound, that was enough for me.

Frederick Hugh Herbert is a different person. He wrote SITTING PRETTY 1948, OUR VERY OWN 1950,LET`S MAKE IT LEGAL 1951, and THE MOON IS BLUE 1953, and many other screenplays.

Max Showlater (Casey Adams) improved in the film IT HAPPENED TO JANE 1959. I did my own tribute to Jack Lemmon last Thursday night, and Max played a lawyer working for the nasty stingy Railroad owner Ernie Kovacs. Max quit working for Ernie, when he was ordered to hinder Jane (Doris Day) on her live lobster delivery to NYC.

• Like 1

Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers in 1946's The Strange Love of Martha Ivers... I just absolutely detested this character. And for some reason, I disliked Miss Stanwyck as an actress (usually I am very good about separating the actor from the character, but not in this case) Don't worry, I love Babs now :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry to have disappointed you, limey.  To make up for the ripe gouda you must be feeling right now allow me to recommend a truly horrible war comedy for your viewing dis-pleasure!   

The 1970 Dino de Laurentiis-produced film "OPERATION S.N.A.F.U." (Situation Normal All Fouled Up).  Directed by Nanni Loy.  Whoever he is.  This is the unfunniest comedy I've ever seen.  It's amazingly unfunny, but it does possess a good cast.  Stars Jason Robards, Martin Landau, Nino Manfredi, Scott Hylands, Slim Pickens and Peter Falk in a cameo as 'Peter Pawney'. 

I ran across this awful movie when I was attempting to round up ALLIED ARTISTS VIDEO CORPORATION tapes.  Allied only released tapes from 1978 thru September 1979 (when they went bankrupt and were bought up by Lorimar).  One of the releases I found was OPERATION S.N.A.F.U. and so I bought it.  In fact, I found 2 copies and bought them both.  ► I later traded one to someone else who was a glutton for video punishment.  Hee Hee.   

This is supposed to be a war comedy.  Except it's not funny at all.  Despite watching it 3 times I still can't figure out exactly why it's so bad.  It just IS.  I watched it twice on the one tape and one time on the tape I traded to make sure the videocassette played well.  Limey, if you fancy watching good actors in a terrible movie well then this WW2 comedy offers you 95 minutes of of non-enjoyment!   :P

Cheers. 

Barbara Stanwyck as Martha Ivers in 1946's The Strange Love of Martha Ivers... I just absolutely detested this character. And for some reason, I disliked Miss Stanwyck as an actress (usually I am very good about separating the actor from the character, but not in this case) Don't worry, I love Babs now :)

Funny you should mention this.  Swithin does not like Babs.

• Like 1