Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE CATTY THREAD

speedracer5

I like this one.

Tallulah Bankhead on Bette Davis: “Don’t think I don’t know who’s been spreading gossip about me. After all the nice things I’ve said about that hag. When I get hold of her, I’ll tear out every hair of her mustache!”

I love the word hag.

• Like 2

They are hilarious, speedy ! I went straight to your link and read every one of them. And there must be a lot more, besides those.

It was especially funny when the article had a nasty comment by one star about another, and then the other star commenting on the first one immediately afterwards. Oh, that makes no sense. Here, I'll demonstrate:

William Holden on Humphrey Bogart: “I hated the bastard.”

Humphrey Bogart on William Holden: “A dumb prick.”

How disillusioning !  (but funny.)

• Like 2

I heard that Ginger Rogers apparently had an unusual amount of peach fuzz on her face, which she was very self conscious about.

I believe after Rogers was cast in Judy Garland's part in "The Barkleys of Broadway," Garland sent her a shaving mug and brush with a passive aggressive "congratulations."

Mean, but hilarious.

• Like 4

I just read this article about actors insulting one another.  Hilarious! I especially loved Bette Davis' barb against Cary Grant and Carole Lombard's against Vivien Leigh.  Lol.  

http://moviemorlocks.com/2011/08/11/they-said-what-classic-insults-from-classic-actors/

Can guys be "catty"? If not, what is the word when guys act like that? Doggy?

I love this kind of stuff.

Sadly, I don't know of any examples to give, so I'll enjoy reading what y'all come up with...

I can only think of something someone said of KATHERINE HEPBURN, although I don't think another actress said it.  If it was, then I regrettably don't know who.  But I've always heard it was attributed to writer DOROTHY PARKER---

"She runs the gamut of emotions from A to B".

Sepiatone

I heard that Ginger Rogers apparently had an unusual amount of peach fuzz on her face, which she was very self conscious about.

I believe after Rogers was cast in Judy Garland's part in "The Barkleys of Broadway," Garland sent her a shaving mug and brush with a passive aggressive "congratulations."

Mean, but hilarious.

I read that a group of people were discussing an actress who was reportedly a nymphomaniac to which Judy Garland contributed: "When you can calm her down." I don't think the actress's name was confirmed, but it was rumored to be Vivien Leigh.

Oscar Levant reportedly commented on Garland's singing style during her last sad years: "A vibrato in search of a voice."

I remember reading in a book of movie quotes the title of a critic's review for the 1976 Barbra Streisand version of A STAR IS BORN: "A Bore Is Starred." Another review read: "A Star is Stillborn."

Walter Matthau, who reportedly had a very stormy working relationship with Streisand during the production of HELLO DOLLY!: "I'm number 6 at the box office. Right below Barbra Streisand. Can you imagine being below Barbra Streisand? Someone get me a bag, I may throw up!"

Ava Gardner on Frank Sinatra's 1960s marriage to Mia Farrow: "Ha! I always knew Frank would end up in bed with a boy!"

• Like 3

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings