Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another TCM Programming Challenge

Here It Is Friends...

Another TCM Programming Challenge

So named in the vein of the The Thin Man titles (after the original "TCM Challenge" and "Return Of The TCM Challenge") and fitting to the theme I have chosen. A challenge with a bit of "Give and Take".

Even thouigh I have been rather quiet around here lately, I have been checking in every so often and found a great many folks around here speaking very fondly of certain genres of films that don't appear on TCM. So I thought this may be a perfect chance to bring them to the attention of our friends in Atlanta. They seem to pay close attention to what we do in the Challenge threads.

Preliminarily, let's reiterate the basic ground rules -

1.) Program TCM for a single week of your choosing - Sunday Through Saturday - using the core TCM library as we know it. (RKO / MGM / WB) picking a Star Of The Month and a Saturday Evening Essential.

2.) Choose a theme for each of your evenings and schedule films around that theme.

3.) In my first act of Noblesse Oblige, if one wants to program for TCM Underground, TCM Imports and Silent Sunday Nights, for this challenge, you have the ability of choosing any film you may want to program. It need not be a film already having appeared on TCM. (As most films of these genres are special acquisitions by TCM anyway, why not expand the film pool to give us new options. And didn't TCMprogrammr say they had recently acquired the rights to a bunch of new imports for us?) Any other weekly showcases you wish to include are of your choosing. Speaking from experience, I got a lot of enjoyment programming to the basic TCM weekly template. But if you have a great idea that finds that too constraining, feel free to be creativly different.

For my second gift, I give you an entire evening of potential TCM "premieres" that fall in to the "month's" theme of -

Film Series We Love

I have seen numerous threads this summer about those franchise films that were usually the second feature on a theater marquee and became a staple of Saturday afternoons on television. (At least, that's where I saw many of them.) The one's I am refering to are the Blondies, the Tarzans, the Falcons, The Whistlers, the Hardy Familys and, yes, The Thin Man series. The franchise films that included the same actors in the same roles. I came across a list online of 32 different film series of note to choose from. As many of them are outside of the TCM core library, pick any series and program a selection of films from a single series for one evening. Its carte blanche "premiere-wise" when it comes to these films. No need to worry about the "two premieres per week" rule for this night only.

4.) As before, during the rest of the week, one has a limit of two premieres.

How's that for generosity? One could premiere 8 to 10 films in this Challenge. Ah, but here's the little bit of take. You actually lose the right to program one night and it is being given over to another "programmer".

This week will also include a Guest Programmer evening.

Contact another of our Message Board denizens through the Private Message system and ask if they would like to be a Guest Programmer for a single night for your Challenge week. (Obviously, other Challenge participants are excluded from being a guest programmer.) They should pick four films from the core library or are films with long-term licenses for showings on TCM (Think Paramount's "Double Indemnity") and include a few explanatory remarks on their choices to be included when posting your completed schedule.

This should be arranged through the Private Messages system and their identity and films kept a secret until one posts their completed Challenge week. Many folks have expressed an interest in participating in a Challenge but can't devote the time necessary to programming for a full week and I think this may allow them a way to be included in our fun. During the last Challenge, the good folks at TCM web admin enlarged our Private Message boxes to 200 messages so let's put this new resource to work. And I hope we all have a few friends here that we could contact for their choices. If one has trouble, drop me Private Message and I'll see what I can do to facillitate something. Or, if one reading this post wants to volunteer to be a "Guest Programmer" for someone, go ahead and post a message saying so and someone may contact you.

This Challenge is open from today (August 28th) until midnight Sunday October 8th. Voting to begin on October 9th for one week.

So, are you fond of Francis, wistful for Withers, mad about Marple or jonesin' for Jungle Jim? Looking forward to seeing what franchises each of you choose.

And, most of all, Have Fun!

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk to extend the final day of participation to October 8th.

Message was edited by:

hlywdkjk September 16 to add TCM Underground to the free-premiere showcase list.

Kyle, this looks like a great challenge! Thanks for doing it. I (for one) have been silent on this topic because I didn't think I'd have the time to participate. But, after reading your exciting 'new' (flexible) rules, and the fact that I'll have till October 1st to complete my entry, I'm pretty sure that I can find the time to try my hand at this again.

Great to hear that you will be participating path40a. It wouldn't be a Challenge without your hand in it somehow someway.

And happy to hear you approve and are excited about the flexibility on this Challenge. I was a conflicted on changing core parts of the Challenge but if the originator of the TCM Challenge thinks its a good thing, I am OK with it.

I definitely wanted to include a few more days to prepare the Challenge as others had expressed that wish in the past. In fact, if there seems to be more folks that would think an additional week to prepare their week would come in handy, I'd be happy to amend the end date 'til the 7th of October even. If anyone is sitting on the fence about joining in because the time frame doesn't seem long enough, let me know. I'd rather have more folks involved than stick to an aribtrary closing date.

Kyle In Hollywood

I agree, if more time (another week?) is needed to get more participation, great. In addition to those regular challenge participants, I would truly love to see first time entries from: movieman, JackBurley, songbird, coffeedan, mongo, vallo, feaito, bollywood, DavidE, moira, sandy, Edgecliff, NZ, and so many of the others (newbies through veterans; sorry if I inadvertently left 'you' out) who have contributed their vast film knowledge to these boards. I hope that they will consider doing the challenge first, before just accepting somebody else's invitation to be their Guest Programmer.

Perhaps the most compelling incentive (e.g. a reason for you, as an individual) to participate is that you may influence TCM's programmers to adopt and schedule an idea of yours for the channel. Each of the 2 prior challenges have had this result. It's also a lot of fun to do, whether you 'win' or 'lose', because you're sure to get something out of the experience (besides just an appreciation for the difficulty of the task at hand). You'll be sharing a piece of yourself with the rest of us while you convey your ideal classic movie week.

Kyle,

Count me in! I think filmlover is going to participate as well. Hope JackBurley and some of the new posters will join us as well. It's great fun and the added bonus of TCM actually scheduling some of the films makes it all worthwhile!

Some come on - everybody in the pool!

path40a wrote -

...you may influence TCM's programmers to adopt and schedule an idea of yours for the channel.

Hi path40a -

And you are so right. And TCMprogrammr has even told us so. Nightly themes from previous Challenges are upcoming on future schedules, films featured in past Challenges are going to premiere (filmlover's championing of "1776" I am sure helped influence the decision to get that musical on the channel.) And in the coming months, TCM is treating us to Superman serials on Satrdays and I am sure MattHelm's inclusion of serials in his first Challenge influenced that programming decision. Honestly, I scoffed to myself at Matthelm's choice of including serials in that Challenge thinking it was so far off-base for TCM to program and then lo and behold.. Just pass the crow.

The previous challenge threads hold some great information to assist anyone that may be looking for a push on how to get started.

http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=80124&start=135#7794350

http://forums.turnerclassicmovies.com/jive/tcm/thread.jspa?threadID=77842&start=210#7781430

And if anyone wants my list of franchise films and use it for some inspiration, just drop me a Private Message. I'll be sure to send it off to you.

Kyle In Hollywood

lzcutter wrote -

Some come on - everybody in the pool!

Hi lzcutter,

Glad you are diving in again. How does the timeframe work for you? I know you have other demands on your time right now so would additional week of prep time be helpful to you? I want to be a very accomodating lifeguard for this Challenge. Do I get to wear a whistle?

Kyle In Hollywood

Yea Sandy!

Give some thought to the time you may need and any help I (and others) can provide to help you decide if participating is reasonable for you right now. But I am willing and commited to whatever need be done to get as many folks involved as possible.

And kudos on your casting in Pride And Prejudice. Got a plum part?

Kyle In Hollywood

How does the timeframe work for you? I know you have other demands on your time right now so would additional week of prep time be helpful to you? I want to be a very accomodating lifeguard for this Challenge.>>

Kyle,

Looking at my schedule and an extra few days (say maybe till Oct. 6th or 7th would be very helpful for this moving, editing, traveling multi-tasking participant.

<< Do I get to wear a whistle?>>

You betcha!

Message was edited by:

lzcutter

I am thinking about how much time I have realistically to devote to joining. I would like to try it.>>

Sandy,

Hope you will be able to join us! I discovered on the second challenge that having a template to follow for the schedule sure did cut down on the stress and time it took to put a schedule together. Do I include the year made, the studio, the actors, the director, black and white or color, previously screened, premiere. You get the idea.

The very first Challenge which was hosted by Path we kind of all worked from our own ideas for laying out the schedule. Luckily, someone came up with a template during the challenge that we all started to follow. Has made a big difference and cut down on the time, too!

thanks, Liz and Kyle!

Yes, Kyle, I have a plum part--Mrs. Bennett. I am actually a little on the young side to play the role--I'm 41. But my former acting coach is playing Mr. Bennett and they didn't have anyone suitable show up to audition, so they called me! I was very flattered. A dear friend that I performed in some shows with played the role 2 years ago and she was brilliant, but she passed away unexpectedly last year, so I feel as though this will be a tribute to her.

Sandy K

Hi lzcutter -

Mr. Generosity strikes again.

If you take a look at the original Challenge post, I have changed the last date for Challenge submissions to Sunday, October 8th. Happy to do it.

Kyle (with his shiny lifeguard whistle) in Hollywood

Hi sandykaypax -

Congrats and good for you on your tribute-fitting casting. Maybe lzcutter can give you some useful advice on dealing with an impending unexpected move like that of Mrs. Bennet. Doubt she can offer anything about four daughters without doweries though. At least, I don't think so. One never knows ....

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi Kyle:

I started working on your challenge a week ago so I will be entering this time. Thanks for giving us a little freedom in our pick of movies, even if TCM can't get them because they are not digital or some other reason, it will be nice to include them anyway.

Hello all -

I am so pleased with the response we have gotten to this Challenge so far. Glad to have you all in the pool.

And anyone who is hesitating on jumping into the pool with rest of the participants, there is still a good amount of time to get started. This challenge is open until October 8th. And I can forward a list of franchise films to choose from/inspire you if you need a helpful floatation device to get started. I've also got additional Challenge "waterwings" to give out if one needs them. And I know each of the declared participants so far are some of the most helpful folks on these boards who will lend a hand if asked. No one will let you belly flop.

Haven't heard that anyone has had trouble "booking" a Guest Programmer from the boards so I guess that aspect of this Challenge is working out too. At least I hope so. I believed there were still a lot of friendly and helpful folks around here even though it was pretty chilly in some threads this summer. If anyone wants to volunteer to be a Guest Programmer for a Challenge participant, go ahead and announce your availablity in this thread. The Guest Programmer wading pool is open too.

Have a great holiday weekend, friends. Just wait an hour after eating before going into the water.

Kyle (with that funny white sunblock on his nose) In Hollywood

I will need a guest programmer to pick four movies plus any short features for Thursday night from 8:00 pm to 4:00 am. Movies that are 90 minutes in length can have a two reel feature which works out good for both Vitaphone Presents and Hal Roach. I will just leave that time slot blank for now.

Happy Holiday Weekend Everyone -

The third TCM Programming Challenge Is underway and there is plenty of time for anyone / everyone to participate. The closing date for this Challenge is October 8th.

If you have ever had a fantasy of programming TCM for a week, this is place to act out your dream...and it may become reality! I had the honor of idea of mine from a previous Challenge being used on TCM in July so who knows what could be the result of your efforts.

If you dream a little smaller and would only like to program TCM for an evening, you can do that in this Challenge too. In this programming Challenge, one night of the week is Guest Programmer Night when another person gets to "select four of their favorite films from the TCM library" to be shown that evening. This is you opportunity to be the online version Hugh Hefner, Ileana Douglas, Tom Ford or The Voice Of SpongeBob SquarePants (whatever his name is).

The lovely allieharding has a request out for a Guest Programmer and if you would like to give one of your fellow Board Members a hand at their schedule by guest programming TCM for a night, drop a message in her Private Mailbox using the Private Message System. Filmlover is also on the lookout for a Guest Programmer so you can Private Message him also offering to be Guest Programmer for his Challenge Week. Or post a message in this thread volunteering yourself to any of the Challenge Participants. The Challenge is great fun and here's your chance to get involved.

So give your fellow Board Members a hand in their Challenge by being a Guest Programmer or, if you are really inspired now, join in as a full-week Challenge participant. There is plenty of time and help available for anyone wanting to take part.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hi, Kyle,

I just wanted to say thanks for the posting but I now have a Guest Programmer lined up. I think it will be a surprise. Now if I can only come up with a lot of great ideas for my own part of the schedule, I will be sitting pretty, lol.

Have a great Labor Day, everybody.

Hi all -

Thanks to classicjoancrawford for stepping forward to being a Guest Programmer during this Challenge. I hear you have already been "booked" by one of our participants. Glad to have you aboard - on the Challenge and on the Boards in general.

And to filmlover, thrilled to see you posting here with the rest of us. Welcome Back!

So far, "Another TCM Programming Challenge" has five participants but there is room and time for a lot more of you to join in. I can tell you it is a fun exercise and a great learning tool too. While researching for my previous two Challenges, I found a whole slew of film titles that I am hoping will pop up on TCM one day. And many of them have. (Finally caught "King Of New York" the other night.)

My list of franchise films is available for any one wanting to use it and I will even send off a copy of one of my earlier Challenges in a wordpad document which includes all the weekly Showcases at their appropiate hours (Pacific Time Zone) to use as a template for creating a week if one thinks it will come in handy.

Hope everyone has had a wonderful Holiday weekend.

Kyle In Hollywood

I've always read about these TCM challenges and now I've decided that I'd love to participate, if it's still possible to join in. I've actually started a little schedule, but then realized I should post here before actually jumping in full time!

However, I will need a guest progammer. It doesn't matter what day of the week (most Guest Progamming slots seem to be either Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday) from the time slot of 8 pm to 4 am. If there's anyone out there who would like to be my guest programmer, please PM me. I don't bite!

Hello sugarpuss -

(is that as in "O'Shea"?)

Of course there is still time to join and, speaking for all the participants (if I may), we're glad to have you aboard. I am thrilled you want to try your hand at programming TCM for a week and I am ready to give you any assistance you might need to help you create the best possible week you can.

I'm sure someone will offer themselves up as your Guest Programmer soon. Everyone seems to be finding another Board member excited to put four of their favorite films on a Challenge schedule. I'll keep in touch just to make sure you're not left high and dry.

So our Challenge is just getting bigger and better everyday. And there is still lots of time and room for anyone else to enlist in the "Another TCM Programming Challenge". Participation is open until October 8th.

That's five weekends away.

33 days.

Nearly 800 hours.

And I promise you won't have to use all those hours to put together your week of films for TCM. Give it some thought and if you want to bounce some ideas off someone before making a full-fledged attempt, I'd be happy to offer whatever critical guidance I can give while remaining impartial.

So don't be shy. Don't be afraid. Don't miss out on all the fun. And if you want to be a Guest Programmer, don't let sugarpuss down. Send her a Private Message.

Kyle In Hollywood

Archived